Phishing, Have You Been Hooked?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not yet… :D

Living in Houston, Texas, Centerpoint Energy is both the natural gas provider and they control the Electric Grid for all of the electricity providers. There is an arrangement in Texas which is actually good that allows a significant number of electric providers to compete with one another on a common grid so most residents in single family housing can choose the best deal for their electric power.

On Friday, I got a phone call that said it was coming from: Centerpoint Power Out. I’m on a notification list so I answered. There was a recording that said due to non-payment that my power would be cut off and to select 1 to talk to a representative. So I did.

This person told me that my payment had not been received and did I want to make a payment with my credit card. This was curious, because when I think of power out I’m thinking electric, and I don’t pay Centerpoint for electricity, at least not directly. The only paymemt I make to Centerpoint is for my natural gas, and that is on auto pay and I told them that, and this man told me well sometimes they expire or not received , so I told them that I would log into my Centerpoint account and check for any issues, goodbye.

Then I logged into Centerpoint, where it said zero balance owed. I talked to Centerpoint customer service who said this was an ongoing issue. The number showing on my phone with the phishing attempt had been spoofed. I accidentally called it back, and it showed up as Lanai City, Hawaii, but no idea if that is accurate either…

This disgusts me. Con men and women have always been around, but in combination with all that is going on in our politics today, world conflict, degradation of our environment, how we treat one another, mounting National debt, this is just another sign that the human race as a species may not be worthy to suceed. 🤔

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, this has been an ongoing issue/scam in the Houston area. I have unknown numbers silenced on my phone so I never answer them lol

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Around here it's usually just spam calls to landlines, and usually that infernal gig about how "your auto warranty extension offer is expiring". I just hang up or hit delete if the call went to the ans mach. Don't get much spam vmails to my mobile, maybe the carriers are getting better at sorting that out somehow. I silence unknown calls.

Top Bottom
1 2