Photo of the Day - August 2021

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Are those the kind of ants that will bite? That colony must be massive.
Well, technically, all ants bite. I mean that is how they make that ant sand. As far as biting people, I have not encountered any aggressive ants that have bitten, tried to bite or stung me in the pictured area (south central Wyoming). The flies though, when a storm is coming, they can bloody your legs if they are not covered.

ETA that ant hill is about 3' across, so, not really huge compared to what I have seen in the SW and W (dry regions).

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
We are not in Oregon anymore toto.
IMG_3256.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Last summer once in a while when I was shooting Alfred I would see him standing there with his mouth open and his tongue rapidly flipping up-and-down, with his throat sort of gently billowing in-and-out. He was always too far away for me to hear if he were singing or vocalizing, and it was clear that he wasn't eating anything. The other day I noticed he was doing this same thing while standing on the pier, and this time I remembered to look in Google and see if I could find some explanation of this behavior.

It's called "gular fluttering," and he does it to cool himself down on a hot day. Definitely that afternoon was a hot (over 90°) and very humid one, so this explanation makes perfect sense! Why he didn't just get in the water and chill out that way I have no idea, but he seemed happy enough to just stand on the pier for a long time......

Alfred %22Gular Fluttering%22 On a Hot Afternoon.jpeg

lizkat

Leftie in the Sticks
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was working at some point in July, but I think its been on 1/3rd power since. Maybe there will be a firmware update to get it working again.

Hah! Not sure we'd actually like results of a firmware update to the big yellow globe. For long, anyway.

But I know what you mean. We've had more overcast and rainy days all summer here than many I can remember over the past decade at least.

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
Top Bottom