Main Camera
Sony
Morrey the cormorant paddles along in the lake with his freshly-caught lunch:

Morrey and His Lunch.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I bet these were at a high end store.

Up in these parts, the equivalent of Deer Off when it came to pricey flowers and shrubs for a neighbor up the way used to be a loaded shotgun kept by the back door in certain seasons. She was a real piece of work. Any season was deer season by her lights, and it wasn't about meat for the table, just scaring the deer away from her greenery. Probably kept assorted other varmints away too, who knows. Everything and everyone in the area understood where the lawns part of her property ran to, that's for sure.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
B34D039B-8860-4D56-BB6F-82DB7D256BBD.jpeg

This is an ant hill. Not very tall and conical as you might expect of one, but still, a home for ants. The curious thing we have noticed is that the ants cut rocks into pieces that are all consistently about 1mm in size. We have taken to calling this stuff (which is often just the outermost layer of the hill) "ant sand". This picture shows the rocks spread around the hill that have not yet been made into ant sand, which, as you might guess, can be very pretty when you look closely at it.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Arose much earlier than usual this morning, and in coming out to the kitchen to prepare my coffee I noticed how the sunlight was coming through the windows and backlighting the lilies in a vase that I had on the counter. Immediately ran to the cabinet, grabbed the new camera and slipped the 90mm macro lens on her, and spent a little time shooting. New camera is pretty much set up now and ready for action, although I'll probably still be tinkering here-and-there the more I use the camera and find that I want to tweak this-or-that setting. Before it gets too hot today I'll be taking her out for a stroll around the boardwalk, seeing how she likes the 100-400mm, the lens which I think will be spending a lot of time on her.

Anyway, one of the first images shot with her that is worth sharing:

Good Morning, Sunshine!.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Alfred must've heard via the wildlife underground rumor mill that Clix Pix has a new camera, as yesterday he suddenly appeared on the pier, ready to pose for me! I was so happy to see him again, as it had been a while. Went out there with the 100-400mm and had fun shooting him. Still processing those images....

This morning, while I was out in the kitchen making coffee I spotted Alfred on the pier again and I immediately hustled to the deck with the tripod, slipped the camera on to the Bazooka (200-600mm) and 1.4x teleconverter and spent the next little while shooting him in the early morning light:

Alfred on the Pier, Early Morning.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I first "met" Alfred last year and one day for some reason I suddenly found myself calling him "Alfred," rather than just referring to him as "that big heron" or "the Great Blue Heron/GBH". Why? I didn't make a conscious connection straightaway but.... "Alfred the Great"! :D. Yeah, my mind works in strange ways sometimes!

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
One day the big yellow globe might operate a bit better over here and I'll actually get some light to play with.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Or tried removing excess water and moisture? I don’t think the big yellow globe is designed to operate at full brightness in your conditions. Probably a safety measure to avoid permanent damage. Be happy it’s working at all!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Or tried removing excess water and moisture? I don’t think the big yellow globe is designed to operate at full brightness in your conditions. Probably a safety measure to avoid permanent damage. Be happy it’s working at all!
It was working at some point in July, but I think its been on 1/3rd power since. Maybe there will be a firmware update to get it working again.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

This is an ant hill. Not very tall and conical as you might expect of one, but still, a home for ants. The curious thing we have noticed is that the ants cut rocks into pieces that are all consistently about 1mm in size. We have taken to calling this stuff (which is often just the outermost layer of the hill) "ant sand". This picture shows the rocks spread around the hill that have not yet been made into ant sand, which, as you might guess, can be very pretty when you look closely at it.

Are those the kind of ants that will bite? That colony must be massive.

Top Bottom
1 2