Photo of the Day - August 2021

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Are those the kind of ants that will bite? That colony must be massive.
Well, technically, all ants bite. I mean that is how they make that ant sand. As far as biting people, I have not encountered any aggressive ants that have bitten, tried to bite or stung me in the pictured area (south central Wyoming). The flies though, when a storm is coming, they can bloody your legs if they are not covered.

ETA that ant hill is about 3' across, so, not really huge compared to what I have seen in the SW and W (dry regions).

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We are not in Oregon anymore toto.
IMG_3256.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Last summer once in a while when I was shooting Alfred I would see him standing there with his mouth open and his tongue rapidly flipping up-and-down, with his throat sort of gently billowing in-and-out. He was always too far away for me to hear if he were singing or vocalizing, and it was clear that he wasn't eating anything. The other day I noticed he was doing this same thing while standing on the pier, and this time I remembered to look in Google and see if I could find some explanation of this behavior.

It's called "gular fluttering," and he does it to cool himself down on a hot day. Definitely that afternoon was a hot (over 90°) and very humid one, so this explanation makes perfect sense! Why he didn't just get in the water and chill out that way I have no idea, but he seemed happy enough to just stand on the pier for a long time......

Alfred %22Gular Fluttering%22 On a Hot Afternoon.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It was working at some point in July, but I think its been on 1/3rd power since. Maybe there will be a firmware update to get it working again.

Hah! Not sure we'd actually like results of a firmware update to the big yellow globe. For long, anyway.

But I know what you mean. We've had more overcast and rainy days all summer here than many I can remember over the past decade at least.

Top Bottom
1 2