fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
IMG_0771.jpeg

Walking the pup this morning :)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Every time I see a photo of a bridge now, I still remember the astonishment of friends of mine from eastern Long Island not long after the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center. They rarely traveled upstate and so had pulled over while crossing the Hudson River, meaning to try to take a nice angled shot of the suspension of the George Washington Bridge to show to their son upon their return. They were accosted by NY Port Authority police emerging from a patrol vehicle and were told they were forbidden to take such photographs! That hastily established regulation has long since been hauled into court and thrown out, but back then it didn't take much to raise anxiety levels of anyone including city infrastructure patrols.

Katbel

Site Champ
Reaction score
Every time I see a photo of a bridge now, I still remember the astonishment of friends of mine from eastern Long Island not long after the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center. They rarely traveled upstate and so had pulled over while crossing the Hudson River, meaning to try to take a nice angled shot of the suspension of the George Washington Bridge to show to their son upon their return. They were accosted by NY Port Authority police emerging from a patrol vehicle and were told they were forbidden to take such photographs! That hastily established regulation has long since been hauled into court and thrown out, but back then it didn't take much to raise anxiety levels of anyone including city infrastructure patrols.
9/11 has scared everyone and we are still bearing the consequences. We werere watching an episode of Friends that was filmed before 9/11 and it still hurts to see the Twin towers.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I wonder what the neighbours think. 😁

In quite a few countries it is still risky to photograph things like bridges or dams… I always have a look around to see if someone's watching. You never know when an overly zealous official might be having a bad day.

Related to this, in Greece accurate maps were hard to come by until quite recently, government/military paranoia was the reason.

Oh and the Sistine Chapel. Apparently the Japanese company who sponsored the scrubbing and scouring err… I meant restoration, of the Michelangelo frescoes own the copyright to all images. Photography strictly forbidden. Looks like the pope didn't read the small print too well. 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2