Elite Member
Reaction score
First time writing 2021!

A song thrush that visits now and then.
_DSC3258.jpg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
OK, a couple of bonus shots: first, my new avatar, which is the sparkly ball in Times Square as it is descending and 2020 is on its last seconds of life (shot with my iPhone, from the television screen):

View attachment 2295

Next up: ....And 2021 arrives! Shot at 12:01:02 according to the exif:

View attachment 2296
I wondered what that was.

First light of the morning.

_DSC6236.jpg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty amazing. It's funny, I don't know that you've posted specifically where you live, but if that's close by, I didn't expect it to look like that :D
Thanks. Less than a mile from my front door.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Makes me think of a rorschach test. I see a lion with the subliminal demon face from The Exorcist. 😐

Yeah, I don't know where the heck that face came from -- it sure as heck is not MY face! LOL! This does rather look like a Rorschach test, now that you mention it....

This was one of those quick, not-planned shots. I was walking by the dining table, where earlier I'd set down this metal thingy (it's not a bowl or dish, it's not a tray, don't really know how to describe it!) that earlier I'd used for a few shots in December with pine cones.....finally got around to removing the pine cones and cleaning off the thingy. It was relaxing on the dining table until I got around to putting it away. The chandelier over the table was on and I noticed the lights were hitting and reflecting in the metal in an intriguing way.....so yeah, I grabbed the camera, grabbed a black foam core board to use as the surface/background, and started shooting.....

I love Praying Mantises (Mantids?). They are fascinating, aren't they?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know where the heck that face came from -- it sure as heck is not MY face! LOL! This does rather look like a Rorschach test, now that you mention it....

This was one of those quick, not-planned shots. I was walking by the dining table, where earlier I'd set down this metal thingy (it's not a bowl or dish, it's not a tray, don't really know how to describe it!) that earlier I'd used for a few shots in December with pine cones.....finally got around to removing the pine cones and cleaning off the thingy. It was relaxing on the dining table until I got around to putting it away. The chandelier over the table was on and I noticed the lights were hitting and reflecting in the metal in an intriguing way.....so yeah, I grabbed the camera, grabbed a black foam core board to use as the surface/background, and started shooting.....

I love Praying Mantises (Mantids?). They are fascinating, aren't they?

I would have never figured out that, that is what that picture really is. You have a good eye for interesting photo opportunities while most people on social media regurgitate the same subject matter over and over.

I love mantids ("mantises" is good too, don't ask me why they have 2 interchangeable names). Probably been about a year since I've had one for a pet but they are currently out of season. The one in the picture is an African mantis, a little generic in name, but that's what they are commonly known as.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks! I tend to keep my eyes and my mind open for potential photo possibilities.....whether they are something occurring at the moment with animals or people in or near my surroundings and within camera range, or something, perhaps an object, that I spot either at home or somewhere else and think, "I wonder what would happen..." and pick up the camera to find out. I tend not to be a person who sets out on shoots with a specific plan in mind, or someone who takes a methodical approach to seeking out my subjects -- more often than not they happen spontaneously while I'm out with the camera or at home with the camera.... That said, once I've found a subject, I can easily spend an hour or more shooting it from various angles and perspectives or with different lenses..... With wildlife, I will stand patiently watching Alfred or the cormorants or the geese or the Hooded Mergansers for sometimes an hour or more.....capturing shots as I watch, in the hopes of capturing that one special shot, that one which is different and unique.....

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! I tend to keep my eyes and my mind open for potential photo possibilities.....whether they are something occurring at the moment with animals or people in or near my surroundings and within camera range, or something, perhaps an object, that I spot either at home or somewhere else and think, "I wonder what would happen..." and pick up the camera to find out. I tend not to be a person who sets out on shoots with a specific plan in mind, or someone who takes a methodical approach to seeking out my subjects -- more often than not they happen spontaneously while I'm out with the camera or at home with the camera.... That said, once I've found a subject, I can easily spend an hour or more shooting it from various angles and perspectives or with different lenses..... With wildlife, I will stand patiently watching Alfred or the cormorants or the geese or the Hooded Mergansers for sometimes an hour or more.....capturing shots as I watch, in the hopes of capturing that one special shot, that one which is different and unique.....
I'm kind of miffed at a lot of people ignoring simple yet unique photo opportunities around them but as soon as they get an appetizing looking plate in front of them they're all "Don't eat it yet! I need to get a picture."

For that reason a couple years ago when I traveled I would take photos and videos so I could share videos of my trip like this. This has no artistic merit or personal merit, but it's my trip.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Neither.....actually, it's an extreme closeup of a feather! One of the resident sparrows dropped off a feather on my doorstep during the holiday season and I looked at it, gently picked it up and brought it into the house for some fun with this special gift...... I used my 50mm macro lens with a stack of three closeup filters on it to enable me to get in really, really close..... In the editing phase, I did it first in color, but then realized that this image would benefit from conversion to B&W so went into Silver Efex Pro and did the deed, with this result!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Neither.....actually, it's an extreme closeup of a feather! One of the resident sparrows dropped off a feather on my doorstep during the holiday season and I looked at it, gently picked it up and brought it into the house for some fun with this special gift...... I used my 50mm macro lens with a stack of three closeup filters on it to enable me to get in really, really close..... In the editing phase, I did it first in color, but then realized that this image would benefit from conversion to B&W so went into Silver Efex Pro and did the deed, with this result!
A thank you gift for all those seeds earlier in the year! Anyway had me fooled!

Top Bottom
1 2