Photo of the Day - January 2021

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
a fun little thing lego flowers. had fun putting these together.
IMG_2119.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same place as the postwar (WW2) economics conference?

I'm always amazed that some of the places mentioned - or referred to - in history books are real.
Yes, we stayed at the hotel where that occurred. It’s really quite something. Zoom in this photo and you’ll see the hotel. It’s truly massive and perhaps an inspiration for The Shining.

FBCEDCB2-8CF4-425E-A8EC-60E974333884.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yes, we stayed at the hotel where that occurred. It’s really quite something. Zoom in this photo and you’ll see the hotel. It’s truly massive and perhaps an inspiration for The Shining.

View attachment 2921

Wow.

Brilliant; thanks for sharing.

I mean, I have casually made reference to (what transpired at) the Bretton Woods Conference in talks and lectures - I would have been awestruck to have actually seen it, and prowled or walked or explored its seminar rooms, conference rooms and corridors.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow.

Brilliant; thanks for sharing.

I mean, I have casually made reference to the (what transpired at the) Bretton Woods Conference in talks and lectures - I would have been awestruck to have actually seen it, and prowled or walked or explored its seminar rooms, conference rooms and corridors.
Here’s a view from a window in the back. The large mountain with a trail going straight up is Mt. Washington. The trail is actually a railroad track run during the summer. I’ve hiked and skied down that before.

The historical rooms there are preserved. You could spend hours walking through there checking out that stuff.

D7F3D62D-94B3-4E30-B850-2D0525E1A80E.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Here’s a view from a window in the back. The large mountain with a trail going straight up is Mt. Washington. The trail is actually a railroad track run during the summer. I’ve hiked and skied down that before.

The historical rooms there are preserved. You could spend hours walking through there checking out that stuff.

View attachment 2923

Some day, in a post Covid world, I would love to do just that.

Wonderful that the historical rooms are preserved; I'd love to see them.

Again, thanks for sharing this; much appreciated.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
this pic is a lot of medical buildings built onto a steep hill there is a hospital a big eye institute two children hospitals. in the next coupe of days I will have pics of the tram. that goes to it tis a great view. its a nice bike ride up through them.

IMG_2121.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's kinda sad that I recognized it's a hospital just by looking at the bridge.
True, it's definitely iconic. About 20 years ago I spent nearly a year there with a friends son who was undergoing chemo for leukemia, he is still with us today. Great hospital with a great staff and oh yeah, the view from that sky bridge is something.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
True, it's definitely iconic. About 20 years ago I spent nearly a year there with a friends son who was undergoing chemo for leukemia, he is still with us today. Great hospital with a great staff and oh yeah, the view from that sky bridge is something.
I debated on riding the tram up and parking my bike in the attended lot but it was closed a few weeks ago so I was not sure. but its a nice ride up and I would actually had to go down to get to where she was at once off the tram.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Shooting BIF (birds in flight) can be tricky.....and even more so when one is caught off-guard as the subject suddenly decides to take flight and when he or she is a fast mover like our resident Kingfisher! By no means or stretch of anyone's imagination is this one of my better photos but I'm posting it anyway.......I get kind of a kick out of it! Just managed to capture a glimpse of Regina as she abruptly took off and dived for the water to nab herself some lunch.....

Regina Takes Off.jpeg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a lot of time yesterday walking around taking pics waiting for my wife to get out of surgery. its a really cool area on the a small mountain. too bad the tram is closed to everyone but staff right now.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
the other night we had a power outage when someone apparently banged into a electrical transformer. Whole neighborhood was totally dark for several hours. At one point, I sat in my bedroom window with the camera in hand, watching the activity going on across the street, which is where the damaged connection is.

Lighting up the darkness as the electric company crew works to bring back light and power to all of us in the neighborhood:

Electric Company on the Job.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2