fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another surviver of the heat.
IMG_2979 2.jpeg

D

Deleted member 199

this is a Buddhist piece bell. it rings randomly. but we never hear it anymore so I wonder if it still works? I remember when it was installed there was a bunch of christians that felt threatened protesting itView attachment 6598

I'm not buddhist so I can't comment on the reasoning but often the bells at Wats (Wat is the Thai name for a Buddhist temple) will have signs asking people not to ring them. That doesn't stop people from doing it, of course.

I wonder if it's the same, and they've just found a more workable solution to stop people doing it than a sign that will be ignored?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not buddhist so I can't comment on the reasoning but often the bells at Wats (Wat is the Thai name for a Buddhist temple) will have signs asking people not to ring them. That doesn't stop people from doing it, of course.

I wonder if it's the same, and they've just found a more workable solution to stop people doing it than a sign that will be ignored?
could be I have not heard it ring in years.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Alfred across the lake from me plunging his head into the water after a fish..... No luck this time, though -- he came out with an empty beak!

View attachment 6920

Superb composition and use of - and control of - colours in both images. Beautiful.

And wanted to comment that I absolutely love your image (the B&W shot of the camera) in the Weekly Competition over on MR; gorgeous, in terms of colour - mastery of monochrome, - subject, and composition.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Thank you, SS! The shot that I submitted to the weekly competition was a bit tricky to get, as I set it up outside on the table on my deck and was using the RX10 IV to shoot it, meaning that the minimum focal length available on that fixed-lens camera is one which requires some distance from the subject so I had to deal with that, as well as try to manage the natural lighting. The deck isn't that big, so I was pretty much standing in the open doorway of my kitchen in order to get the shots! After trying to position the subject at various angles I finally did have to press a couple of small, carefully-positioned LED flashlights into service to supplement the natural lighting in order to bring some light directly to the lens, which otherwise was too hidden in darkness thanks to the lens hood, which I decided to leave on there, although I could have removed it, of course. A reflector, which I tried first, wasn't getting me where I wanted this to go, so time for a little supplementary artificial light.

I wanted emphasis on the glass -- the lens -- because it IS a favorite and has helped me to create many nice images over the past year and a half. The day I bought the camera, that 90mm lens was the first lens I specified that I wanted, and I had been lusting after it for a while by that time. A mutual admiration society going on here between me, the lens and the camera. I swear, she all but leaps right on to the camera when it's time to go shooting! Number One Favorite all the way!

Getting back to the shooting session: when I reviewed them in the computer the first round of shots I did weren't satisfactory so I hauled everything back out to the deck on this steamy hot day for a second try, and still found the project problematic until DING! a lightbulb went off in my head and I decided to just go for the dramatic, not attempt to show perfectly lit, every little detail of the camera and the lens -- heck, people KNOW what a camera body and a lens look like! -- and instead just throw some aspects of the overall shot into deep shadow..... Spot metering works very well for this. I made further adjustments in the post--processing/editing phase, too, of course. A bit of judicious cropping added more visual interest and then I was done. I didn't even have to actually convert the image to monochrome/B&W as it was already pretty much there anyway. Sometimes an image has much more impact when some elements of it are left to the viewer to imagine on his or her own anyway.....a bit of mystery adds intrigue, eh?

Anyway, it is fun and challenging to enter these competitions and to come up with something new -- often in the past I've just rummaged around and pulled out something from my archives, but this current topic really called for something new and of the moment rather than something from years past. There are some interesting and really good images in the competition so far, although it has been slow to really take off -- I suspect that many people have just been busy with other things or like me hadn't quite decided what they wanted to do and get something set up and shot in time...... Earlier in the week I'd started vaguely thinking about this but other things interrupted and I didn't get around to seriously doing anything about it. I'm sure that some people may have been away for much of the week on vacation or are planning and packing for an upcoming vacation, too, since July is a big month for that.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks! I used to have some nice Nikon gear (hello ClickPix! I remember you from NikonCafe) but sold them off years ago due to gathering dust. Now I use my iPhone 11 pro max, but I do wish I had a good camera again sometimes.View attachment 7006

Hi, JohnR! What is / was your user name on Nikon Cafe? Yes, I was a "Nikon Girl" for many, many years.....and then the mirrorless thing came along and I succumbed, after having gone through a period of time when I shot very little at all. I got hooked on Sony with the NEX-7 first, and then a series of their wonderful compact RX100 cameras and then in the summer of 2018 bought the amazing RX10 IV bridge camera which eventually got me back into a patten of shooting more and more again. I became afflicted with a case of GAS (for those who are unfamiliar with the term, it's "Gear Acquisition Syndrome") but it took me a while to finally make up my mind about what I wanted to do. One day I packed up all the Nikon gear and took it to a local camera shop and traded it in on a Sony A7R IV and three lenses. Since then, I've been shooting a LOT, pretty much every day, actually, and have added more lenses as the need (or desire) arose.....

I also shoot with my iPhone 12 Pro, too, occasionally when I'm out-and-about and see something interesting, or sometimes even here at home when I want to experiment with a potential idea before getting out the serious gear. These modern iPhones are pretty darned good, aren't they?!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
JohnR was my name there too
View attachment 7039
Convenient! I’m quite the opposite and get a new name for every forum. The more the merrier!

Now the important question… Was the avatar picture taken with the camera upside down or rotated/flipped in post? Or maybe taken in Australia? Or with a pinhole camera? Aaaaagh! There’s no end to the possibilities!

Top Bottom
1 2