Photo of the Day - November, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Taken this summer. I had a football field of beach on either side of me. This old guy set up camp in front of me after I’d been there a couple of hours. I don’t know precise beach etiquette but I sat there hating him for several minutes and then got over it. I like his umbrella.

1605441722991.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Taken this summer. I had a football field of beach on either side of me. This old guy set up camp in front of me after I’d been there a couple of hours. I don’t know precise beach etiquette but I sat there hating him for several minutes and then got over it. I like his umbrella.

View attachment 1406
I love those umbrellas! They make the perfect thing to use when you want to decolorize a picture.
56919A54-7194-49C0-951F-DD4CA49E94D8.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Something a little different and actually kind of fits in with the cozy, warm atmosphere of this forum:

Sheepskin Slippers.jpg

Why would I be taking photos of my slippers, you may well wonder..... On Nikon Cafe, where I also hang out, we have a weekly "Collective Shoot," which means that someone chooses a topic and members who want to participate shoot something within that week which pertains to the topic. About a week ago, somehow on the forum, there was some lighthearted bantering going on as a few old-timers were teasing one of our admins about the number of shoes she has. When it came time for this week's Collective Shoot, one of them came up with the topic of "Your Favorite Shoes" -- and it's been really rather fun seeing everyone's shoes, boots, slippers, sandals, what-not.....! Anyway, when rummaging in the closet looking for my new pair of Haflinger wool clogs which soon will replace the pair that I have been wearing in the house all last winter and the beginning of this one, I ran across my lovely, cozy and warm sheepskin slippers that I bought some years ago at LL Bean. It's been at least two or three years since I last wore these -- forgot I had them! So I brought them out of the closet, too, and photographed them for the Collective Shoot. It occurred to me that it would be kind of fun to share them here as well, given the overall theme of this forum.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I ran across my lovely, cozy and warm sheepskin slippers that I bought some years ago at LL Bean. It's been at least two or three years since I last wore these -- forgot I had them!
I love them! I’m too cheap for LL Bean. I have a HUGE shoe collection. I have some “winter sneakers” on order. I’m really looking forward to receiving them.

As to collective shoots, we can do that here, right?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I love them! I’m too cheap for LL Bean. I have a HUGE shoe collection. I have some “winter sneakers” on order. I’m really looking forward to receiving them.

As to collective shoots, we can do that here, right?

I love LL Bean and we have a big store in our closest shopping mall -- the store is just two stores down from the Apple store, actually. I also get their catalog in the mail, too. This year I told myself, "OK, I've already been spending quite a lot this Fall and am likely to need or want to spend more, so let's not even LOOK at the LL Bean catalog!" One came in the mail yesterday, and I promptly threw it in the waste can so I wouldn't be tempted....

I'd forgotten how warm and lovely these sheepskin slippers are! SO glad I rediscovered them!

Sure, we can do Collective Shoots here, or we can do a weekly competition, whatever..... The Collective Shoot on Nikon Cafe is not a competition; each week someone volunteers to be the "host" and selects the topic and members must post only shots taken within the given time frame of that week (12:01 Thursday AM through 12:00 Midnight of the following Wednesday). Members may post as many as three images per post, but no more than that, and they may post as often as they like. It's a lot of fun, but can be a bit time-consuming for the "host," who is expected, of course, to comment on the items posted, etc.

On MR, of course, while we don't have a Collective Shoot, we have the weekly competition, in which members may submit either a fresh new image or an older one from their archives to fit the specified topic (only one entry per participant). The individual whose image wins each week is then the host for the next competition, and is responsible for choosing the topic, etc. Unlike Nikon Cafe's Collective Shoot or MR's POTD threads, members are not allowed to comment, click the "like" button, etc., on entries in the weekly competition. Once that particular competition has been judged by the week's host, then comments are welcome. I think I've got this all straight; AFB, who also participates in MR's weekly competitions, can add further info that I may have left out. It's fun and definitely challenging, both for members who participate and for the host! Now it's pretty much a running joke that everyone loves getting a place on the virtual "podium" of three winners (third, second and first place), but the preferred spot is NOT that of the First Place winner! The judging is the part that can be really challenging and most of us aren't too keen on that part of it, especially if we pick a topic that is popular and there are a bunch of images to go through, assess, comment on (critiques are welcomed but not absolutely necessary) and then, gulp, choose the top three entries. It's HARD!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2