Photo of the Day - November 2021

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Hey, how about that, I remembered this time..... It's a new month, time to flip the calendar page over and start shooting and posting in November!

Cormorants contemplating their next move in the pouring rain we had a couple of days ago:

Do You Think This Rain Will Stop Soon?.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Here are a couple. Not great pics, but some historical perspective.

The first one is overlooking downtown Williamson, WV and looking out towards Belfry, KY. The picture was shot from the top of Death Rock which is a local hiking destination. Local lore says it got its name when the daughter of an Indian Chief fell in love with a white man. When her father did not sanction the relationship, she was so distraught she climbed to the top and threw herself to her death.

The second one is how coal mining was done in the 1930' and 40's. These are called auger holes and the coal was extracted to a depth of 30-40 feet by large auger bits that drilled into the hillside. This was the precursor to what is now known as highwall mining.

Was really surprised at a lack of color. Fall has been kind of drab this year from either too much/too little rain, too hot early/late or any other number of reasons.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Here are a couple. Not great pics, but some historical perspective.

The first one is overlooking downtown Williamson, WV and looking out towards Belfry, KY. The picture was shot from the top of Death Rock which is a local hiking destination. Local lore says it got its name when the daughter of an Indian Chief fell in love with a white man. When her father did not sanction the relationship, she was so distraught she climbed to the top and threw herself to her death.

The second one is how coal mining was done in the 1930' and 40's. These are called auger holes and the coal was extracted to a depth of 30-40 feet by large auger bits that drilled into the hillside. This was the precursor to what is now known as highwall mining.

Was really surprised at a lack of color. Fall has been kind of drab this year from either too much/too little rain, too hot early/late or any other number of reasons.

View attachment 9618View attachment 9619
Interesting and educational, thanks for sharing.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Playing with my new Sony A7R III, nothing too spectacular about this shot, just testing the color and crop factor, this was taken with my Cannon 70-200 2.8 L lens and after cropping I was able to pull this kind of clarity from across the yard. It's definitely a step up from the Canon 6D MKII.

DSC00033.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Congratulations, Eric, on the A7R III! You'll love it! The crop factor is great on all of the A7R series cameras. I remember when I was first mulling over moving to mirrorless, I was looking at the A7III and then had decided that for the kind shooting I do that the A7R III would be better suited to my needs. By the time I was ready to arrive at a decision the A7R IV was announced so then I waited a while for it to come out, be reviewed and in in users' hands, before finally making the leap. I never regretted switching from Nikon to Sony. I've been very, very happy with my Sony bodies and lenses.

Oops, almost forgot to include a shot..... Taken last evening from my deck. I remembered from last fall how the trees at the foot of the lake behind the condo buildings there turned yellow/gold this time of year, so waited patiently for that to happen again this year, and finally, yay, at last, the "golden hour" arrived and the trees glowed......

Golden Light, Golden Trees.jpeg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hello and welcome! I assume with a user name like yours you're a fellow photography enthusiast? Interesting shot!

Thank you! I am a photographer, but mostly make urban photographs; people, usually strangers, and their environments.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thank you! I am a photographer, but mostly make urban photographs; people, usually strangers, and their environments.
Welcome! I'm a huge fan of urban photos myself so will be glad to see your stuff. You can see some of my stuff here https://www.instagram.com/thurber_shots/ I don't really do much with people but love urban landscapes and street photography.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Welcome! I'm a huge fan of urban photos myself so will be glad to see your stuff. You can see some of my stuff here https://www.instagram.com/thurber_shots/ I don't really do much with people but love urban landscapes and street photography.

Thanx, Eric - appreciate it! I went to your link and for the 10 seconds I was able to see your photos, I saw some really great ones. After 10 seconds an IG window popped asking for login credentials (I'm not a member) and wouldn't let me get beyond that. :(

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Also... It looked like some of your photos were in SF. That's where I've made most of mine. I live down the peninsula.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thanx, Eric - appreciate it! I went to your link and for the 10 seconds I was able to see your photos, I saw some really great ones. After 10 seconds an IG window popped asking for login credentials (I'm not a member) and wouldn't let me get beyond that. :(
Thanks, yeah that can be frustrating with IG. Nice to know you're from the area, I was born and raised in Daly City, moved to Oregon for a while and ended up back in the area, it will always be home to me. :)

Top Bottom
1 2