Photo of the Day - November 2021

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Something shot this afternoon: a male Hooded Merganser and two females (the other male was following at somewhat of a distance so didn't get into the frame):

Male Hooded Merganser With Two Female Followers.jpeg

U

User.45

Oops, looks as though I've been forgetting to put photos in here!

Messing around one day with colors:

View attachment 9607
Looks like trouble on funduscopy (papilledema). Last time I've seen it this bad, it was syphilis of the eye.

P55.jpg

(When you hold the funduscope it looks even more like the photo of @Clix Pix because the hand tremor blurs it)

Last edited by a moderator:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, it was quite unexpected, but we helped keep the person's eyesight.

Now you've gotta tell me. What is on the picture?:)

Hee, hee......Well, one day I noticed the light shining in a certain way and producing nice colors on an object that was out on a table, so I grabbed the iPhone, which was handiest, and took a couple of shots. Later I got around to looking at the shots and while I liked the colors, the actual subject was rather blah and the overall photo uninteresting. I have this software program called "Optics," which has all kinds of interesting filters and effects, so just for fun I took the image into that and played around with one of the Blur effects, decided I liked it and that was that! I am not a big fan of manipulating images and using gimmicky effects and filters and such, but once in a while it is kind of fun just to play around with. Most of the time I do not like images which are nothing but all-over softness and blur, because they make me feel as though I need to make an appointment with my ophthalmologist immediately. LOL! IMHO, ideally an image should have at least some, even a tiny narrow in-focus point upon which the eye can land and use as an anchor so to speak, rather than everything being soft and blurry. All blur and nothing upon which to actually focus can feel like a one-way trip into major Cataract City...... And, yes, at my age, I'm already headed that way anyway, got 'em growing already in my eyes, so I don't appreciate reminders of it when someone presents a totally fuzzy, blurry image!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Taken in the yard this morning, still getting my settings dialed in for the new Sony AR7 III. This was in shutter priority at 1/1250, ISO 640 at f/2.8 using my existing Canon lens on the CM-11 mount. At 42 MP I am able to get a ton of detail at near full crop, it's an amazing camera.

DSC00160.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Did you shoot this photo last year or find a photo somewhere that someone else had shot in a location where they do have snow now? Remember, the POTD thread is meant only for photos we ourselves have taken.... I just realized that there would be no way for anyone to know that if they were new coming to this thread, so I've now added a brief statement to the first post in this thread.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you shoot this photo last year or find a photo somewhere that someone else had shot in a location where they do have snow now? Remember, the POTD thread is meant only for photos we ourselves have taken.... I just realized that there would be no way for anyone to know that if they were new coming to this thread, so I've now added a brief statement to the first post in this thread.I think two years ago.
calm down i took it a couple years ago.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
start of a nice dry commute this morning. it was 55 so i roasted in my rain gear.
View attachment 9689
This was one of my main reasons for leaving Oregon, it's grey or rainy for a large part of the year (an average of 222 days) and while some don't mind it, I found it to be a bummer. Where I'm at in CA is really hot in the summer but the rest of the year is nice, sunny and mild for the most part.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This was one of my main reasons for leaving Oregon, it's grey or rainy for a large part of the year (an average of 222 days) and while some don't mind it, I found it to be a bummer. Where I'm at in CA is really hot in the summer but the rest of the year is nice, sunny and mild for the most part.
if you can breathe (G)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Impromptu is a perfect description here lol, did she see it coming?

For me... when making photographs of strangers on the street, it's more about it being engaged or candid.

Engaged means I approached a person, engaged in some conversation getting to know them a little, and then make a few portraits. Within that scope (and again for me...), impromptu means I didn't pose my subject as in the case above with Jerome. Often I pose subjects to get better or more interesting environmental context or nicer light.

Candid is when there is no engagement, such as in yesterday's photo at Powell and Market, in that case with multiple subjects. I see an interesting situation, bring the camera to my eye, and wait for a good moment to release the shutter.

There really aren't any rules, it's just the way I do it.

Top Bottom
1 2