Not open for further replies.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In spite of the title, this doesn't mean that anyone has to shoot and post a brand-new photo each and every day..... Taking the more relaxed approach of "hey, you have a nice photo that you shot at some point that you want to share now?" works quite nicely here. No rules, an image shot with any device works just fine, no deep-level critiques (unless someone specifically requests that and asks for help with a given image), but of course if someone cruising by the thread sees an image which captures their attention, prompting them to hit the "like" button and/or to offer a post commenting on the image that certainly wouldn't go amiss....

Maybe if there is a lot of enthusiasm for this over time, it can be a regular feature of the forum. For right now, let's just move through the rest of October, and then there'll be November, and,,,,,well.....

I'll start, but anyone who wants to do so, join in!
Shot this a couple of days ago. Yeah, I think I've already told you guys that I love my abstracts!):

Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright.....jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In spite of the title, this doesn't mean that anyone has to shoot and post a brand-new photo each and every day..... Taking the more relaxed approach of "hey, you have a nice photo that you shot at some point that you want to share now?" works quite nicely here. No rules, an image shot with any device works just fine, no deep-level critiques (unless someone specifically requests that and asks for help with a given image), but of course if someone cruising by the thread sees an image which captures their attention, prompting them to hit the "like" button and/or to offer a post commenting on the image that certainly wouldn't go amiss....

Maybe if there is a lot of enthusiasm for this over time, it can be a regular feature of the forum. For right now, let's just move through the rest of October, and then there'll be November, and,,,,,well.....

I'll start, but anyone who wants to do so, join in!
Shot this a couple of days ago. Yeah, I think I've already told you guys that I love my abstracts!):

View attachment 790
Okay got it, excellent idea and would be glad to see it take off. Interesting abstract BTW, almost looks like freshly hammered copper, just my interpretation.

This a trail leading into the sunset at Lands End park in San Francisco, there was enough moisture in the air coming off the ocean to illuminate the suns rays. I also used a shutter speed (if I recall right) of at least 18 and partially obscured the sun to get the flare effect.

lands-end-2.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Hey, you guys have been busy!!! Eric, I love those sunstars! It's fun to work with the sun just right and take advantage of the resulting flare.

Alli, your deck looks like a fun place to hang out!!

My abstract image actually is the highly-reflective silver art paper that I was using as a backdrop for a couple of shots that day, and when I removed the subject, I noticed how the light was playing on the backdrop itself so sat back down at the table, picked up the camera again and did some more shooting.... The colors are from the immediate surroundings plus the chandelier above and you can actually see the chandelier reflected in there, too.

Oops, almost forgot to add an image for today! Haven't done any shooting today yet, this is from earlier in the week, and yep, there's that shiny backdrop again!

Slinky Looking at Itself.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, you guys have been busy!!! Eric, I love those sunstars! It's fun to work with the sun just right and take advantage of the resulting flare.

Alli, your deck looks like a fun place to hang out!!

My abstract image actually is the highly-reflective silver art paper that I was using as a backdrop for a couple of shots that day, and when I removed the subject, I noticed how the light was playing on the backdrop itself so sat back down at the table, picked up the camera again and did some more shooting.... The colors are from the immediate surroundings plus the chandelier above and you can actually see the chandelier reflected in there, too.

Oops, almost forgot to add an image for today! Haven't done any shooting today yet, this is from earlier in the week, and yep, there's that shiny backdrop again!

View attachment 798
Great. Now I’m going to be humming the old Slinky jingle for the rest of the evening. Sucks being old enough to still remember when commercials had catchy jingles and still having them run around in your head.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Great. Now I’m going to be humming the old Slinky jingle for the rest of the evening. Sucks being old enough to still remember when commercials had catchy jingles and still having them run around in your head.

I can still hear the voice of the Italian-American woman yelling "Anthony... Anthony!" in that Prince Spaghetti ad that was set in the north of Boston like 50 years ago.

So yeah, add music to a commercial and the earworm never really goes away.... just the mention of the Slinky one fetches it up. They kept making different commercials for Slinky but they hung onto that theme song...

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
There are some TV commercial jingles I still remember, too , but for some reason the Slinky one was not among them.......until I just now watched a commercial from the 70's and immediately did recognize the jingle! Now I'll have that darned thing going round and round in my head.....

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, very cool. The lighting on that is well done.
Thank you! The setup was still using the same silver backdrop, but I moved the Slinky around to a different angle and then used two small LED flashlights strategically aimed at it. Sometimes one doesn't want a whole lot of light bathing the subject, but rather just a bit for emphasis here-and-there. When I got the image into the computer, I took a look and said, "ah, this one has got to be converted to B&W!"

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Yesterday I was experimenting, since I'd gotten a new backdrop which I expect will get a fair amount of use this winter, and I wanted to at least get an idea of what to expect with it..... The subject is a metal ornament kind of decorative doohickey that I have in the living room (and, yes, I should've taken the time to wash the dust off this thing before photographing it!).....

Practicing for the Concert.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yesterday I was experimenting, since I'd gotten a new backdrop which I expect will get a fair amount of use this winter, and I wanted to at least get an idea of what to expect with it..... The subject is a metal ornament kind of decorative doohickey that I have in the living room (and, yes, I should've taken the time to wash the dust off this thing before photographing it!).....

View attachment 835

How lovely....

You remind me that once again I need to re-do the linings in the bottom of a vintage printers tray that I use as part of the decor in my living room.

Every few years I take some colorful fabric print with fairly large repeating motifs and cut the yardage up into little pieces that just fit inside the various rectangles and squares of the tray, then set it back up on one of those racks made to display large flat items at an angle.

The usual aim is to replicate the look of a length of the fabric itself within the tray's expanse, or to capture each of the motifs across a few of the tray segments and fill in the rest with some neutral blender fabrics.

So to get that effect I end up trashing about a yard and a half of the main print fabric to get the right cuts to fit in the tray compartments. At least now I don't have a couple old cats distributing scraps around the house while I curse each misjudged whack off the yardage I have to work with.

Of course it catches dust in the course of a year or so, not least because I have forced air heating in winter. There's no way to clean the arrangement really, so it's a biennial (or so...) re-do forever coming up. Last year I threw a piece of muslin over the thing and took it upstairs to sit in the spare room, just to dodge having to rework it. I promised I'd do better the next year. Time to pick a fabric!

Althea

Reaction score
Well you guys are doing better than me! I really could have just hit delete after this mornings flat light outing!View attachment 792
Sometimes when it's a flat day, I opt for black and white and look for shapes. It's amazing how different this pic would look with full sun. The yellow ferns tend to glow.

Althea

Reaction score

View attachment 835
Very cool. Is this shot w/macro? I was weeding one morning, and found these two going at it. I had enough time to go into the house, get my camera, get on my hands and knees, and try to get this into focus. In macro mode, you focus by moving in/out. You have to hold your breath!

21273692_1692031547474885_194736835317000589_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2