Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wish I was more of a shutterbug. All mine are with iPhones. I’m too damn lazy to haul gear around. I often admire the results of good cameras from afar.
iPhone photos are welcome, I've seen some fantastic shots taken with them.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Absolutely shots from cell phones are welcome here! I haven't been using my iPhone 11 Pro for as many shots recently, but it definitely is one of the key players in my photo repertoire....

Today's POTD is one that I shot yesterday with the RX10 from my deck:

Ready for Autumn and Winter.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay got it, excellent idea and would be glad to see it take off. Interesting abstract BTW, almost looks like freshly hammered copper, just my interpretation.

This a trail leading into the sunset at Lands End park in San Francisco, there was enough moisture in the air coming off the ocean to illuminate the suns rays. I also used a shutter speed (if I recall right) of at least 18 and partially obscured the sun to get the flare effect.

View attachment 791
I've been sitting on this opinion for days but it really bothers me that the sun beams look fake. I'm not saying they are and I'm sure it took some skill to get that shot, but for my eyeballs its really distracting from how great the rest of the photo is. Kind of ironic really. So many tools available to make fake composite photos look real and here's a real photo that looks like a fake sun beam composite was used.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've been sitting on this opinion for days but it really bothers me that the sun beams look fake. I'm not saying they are and I'm sure it took some skill to get that shot, but for my eyeballs its really distracting from how great the rest of the photo is. Kind of ironic really. So many tools available to make fake composite photos look real and here's a real photo that looks like a fake sun beam composite was used.
I wouldn't know how to fake it, I pride myself in learning and practicing these techniques but I do get that the look isn't for everyone. In fact, when you read articles on it the more experienced photographers will tell you not to over do it and make sure it's an interesting shot, otherwise it's just an uninteresting starburst.

However, I do have another one from that same shoot where I completely obscured the sun, enjoy.

IMG_6013_small.jpg

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_0034_2.jpeg

Wall detail, Bologna (probably) 2013.
by my iPhone 5 !
tonal soft contrast of the multiple types of wall material and the symmetry the metal.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to fake it, I pride myself in learning and practicing these techniques but I do get that the look isn't for everyone. In fact, when you read articles on it the more experienced photographers will tell you not to over do it and make sure it's an interesting shot, otherwise it's just an uninteresting starburst.

However, I do have another one from that same shoot where I completely obscured the sun, enjoy.

View attachment 1042
Excellent. Love it. I also realized with the sharp sun rays version it makes a big difference what size you are viewing it at. The smaller the view, the more fake add-on it looks. Looks great at a larger scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2