Photo of the Day - October 2021

monokakata

Reaction score
I'm new here. Since 2012 it's been my habit to do a daily image. When I lived near Buffalo I did it for 500 days. Then I moved to my childhood home in Hawai'i and did it for 2,100 days, and then I moved to Ithaca NY and that series is currently at #514. Both the Hilo series and the Ithaca series are on the web.

Here's one from yesterday. It's my driveway, very pretty this time of year but not too much fun when winter sets in (it's .3 miles long, climbs steeply and curves through a forest).

I shoot with a Nikon D850 and a variety of lenses from 14mm to 500mm.
2021 10 08.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Hey, welcome, Monokakata! I remember seeing you around MR from time to time!

Beautiful autumn image there..... In my area we're still stuck in late summer. Maybe in another two or three weeks we'll finally have some actual autumn color!

I am a former Nikon shooter, now using Sony full-frame mirrorless (A7R IV and A1) and slowly developing a nice lens collection. Although I am not engaged in a formal POTD I do seem to shoot nearly every day anyway. I participate in a 52-Weeks challenge on Nikon Cafe (yes, I'm still active there even though shooting with something else now) and also contribute just about daily on MR's POTD. It's fun to look around and find something interesting to shoot even when a subject isn't immediately apparent......

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm new here. Since 2012 it's been my habit to do a daily image. When I lived near Buffalo I did it for 500 days. Then I moved to my childhood home in Hawai'i and did it for 2,100 days, and then I moved to Ithaca NY and that series is currently at #514. Both the Hilo series and the Ithaca series are on the web.

Here's one from yesterday. It's my driveway, very pretty this time of year but not too much fun when winter sets in (it's .3 miles long, climbs steeply and curves through a forest).

View attachment 9101

Lovely image, @monokakata, thanks for sharing it; wonderful to see you and I am delighted that you have joined us.

Why not also make yourself known in the 'welcome' thread?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

View attachment 9101
I am originally from Buffalo. Can you link your site with the photos from there? If not, the Ithaca ones would be nice…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

View attachment 9101
Welcome to the site, this is a beautiful image, can't wait to see more.

monokakata

Reaction score
I am originally from Buffalo. Can you link your site with the photos from there? If not, the Ithaca ones would be nice…
The Buffalo set was from Colden and I distributed it as emails. The Hilo set is at hilodailyimage.com, and the Ithaca set is at newsofelsewhere.com. Among the 2100 Hilo images there are perhaps 30 that I posted when I was traveling on the Mainland -- I never missed making a picture every day, but on the Hilo site when I was gone I posted Hilo pictures from other days. My rule (apart from when I was traveling) was that the pictures had to be made in my yard, in the morning, except for one day a year (winter solstice) and occasionally when there were important things happening, like volcanic eruptions or floods. In Colden, I restricted myself to the deck behind the house and what could be seen from there. Also, whatever lens I mounted when I went out was the only lens I could use, and I couldn't go out twice. And no cropping. I've relaxed things since then. The basic idea is that there's always a picture to be found, no matter what.

I'll attach today's Daily Image (technically I live in Dryden, not Ithaca but I was assured it would be OK to say I live in Ithaca).

I've been changing the navigation on the newsofelsewhere site. At some point, it shifts from clicking the top of the image to go back in time (for forward via bottom) to left and right. Center for that month's images.

Here's a starting point.
2021 10 10.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sausalito, CA taken during the blue hour, this is another one I had to plan for, got up early, made the 2 hour drive, etc. This is just on the northern end of the golden gate bridge in a really beautiful (and expensive) community.

YGH_kko4TjF1gVxQVsfJEB_8mKhR_k92jLBZr9T3kSA98EDGQscYiMmAvdSqlY1Fs0OqiCC5AfX5Kkrn91tP7PYCXbezOG6IqMvWTM9ijrhrZpvBLyenp1ECZ1oNLc2p3obdnVvTc3HU5R88oMVkCvFADzEf5S07h6isaaqEDgzO3wfCMiOfBqPkObblGwn9N20lLN0H_66UhVEmvtppIYFLHLxSHvioZjxE6wpU05voJy6WvpdzCYoHIQsct2ufINzMBiAtbnGJNfLKf3eF0Tj12TLLDzA5hmvLTjFjM0xJ2Y292YUCrJir1udinUdADW6xCL_7_yKBJL_V0BmZtTuC1tMgpjZTJM5y1e2APDfN-dSjMm3NGUQC-AG9vzAGqbkjMFrbJ8Lb5PfNp5KibRXyDL1AXVBu_Vek-lTmpr5QLFDpqTYVCLq7wPXOv-1M31Rzu-4tr00QCYZ6GSdewznyUcOMrOsyNZw1V3WXwqckkZte-B_bpVq3rchjMVugfN9RKEaPxaBpTzP5s_1Oz1nLzPLzTAauE4m2YD8jr4mhLhvGaudFujmOZTWJdJunM3-AwXqV16JNY0dNYMPCpz-Kl2ina05X2nwjXQng9CDOP-vod2l0KE40cmV2MGufarNu5s6SNlUIMo6tutwHQfCulnZ3hLHxNKW7UvROP9gU5VZVfed384jtIX7Dqp7azBLSshkrIl1OtrZ06Z7j0PpQ1w=w2574-h1366-no

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Still working away over there, digging up the old asphalt, smoothing out the dirt path for the eventual laying-down of fresh new asphalt. It's taking longer than I had thought it would since there was a section that they hadn't done yet, which I didn't realize until this morning. Different machine today, one with big treads and presumably a bit heavier to handle the heavier hunks of asphalt first; it's a narrow area in which they're working, not much room for error! Here he's carrying away the large piece of asphalt he finally got properly positioned on the machine.....

Digging Up More Old Asphalt.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2