Please shorten allowable search parameters

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a search on CRT and was advised that was too short of a search criteria. Can that be altered?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I did a search on CRT and was advised that was too short of a search criteria. Can that be altered?
We're bound by SQL not allowing it and going down the road of changing it is a thing, sorry about that. However, you can always use google like this:
site:talkedabout.com searchword

U

User.191

We're bound by SQL not allowing it and going down the road of changing it is a thing, sorry about that. However, you can always use google like this:

Bound by SQL? There's nowt stopping you doing much of anything in SQL given the will (she says as she works on Sql Server ...)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Bound by SQL? There's nowt stopping you doing much of anything in SQL given the will (she says as she works on Sql Server ...)
Sure, it can be done but I don't want to get into that on my server for a change like that is all.

Here's more info on it

U

User.191

Sure, it can be done but I don't want to get into that on my server for a change like that is all.

Here's more info on it

Where's your sense of reckless fun and foolhardy adventure? I say turn the sucker alway the way up to negative 1 and see what breaks!

U

User.191

Fuck it we'll do it live!

Shocking!

One of the places was where I'd spent 12 weeks working on a project for another customer that was totally out my comfort zone then got shafted by another employee because I dared ask questions about some of it.

And so I quit early one morning (like 4am) and left my laptop in my boss's office with my resignation letter inside it.

My boss didn't even notice I was gone initially but did see the spare laptop and thought it was another one he was expecting back and immediately set to work reimaging it so he could use it as a playtoy, totally ignoring the letter with his name on it.

With all my work for the customer on it.

ALL of it.

I'd like to say that was the nail that killed the company. It wasn't, although it was probably the biggest and last.

D

Deleted member 199

Here's more info on it
Just so some of us have an idea of help that could be offered - is this because you're not comfortable/experienced with the technical side of it, or because you are and have formed opinions about the impact/benefit of such a change?

I'm not saying I disagree with the decision necessarily, I'd need to read more on the impact of shorter keyword support in mysql's full text indexes to form an opinion - just wondering if things like this would benefit from additional technical support is all.

U

User.191

Just so some of us have an idea of help that could be offered - is this because you're not comfortable/experienced with the technical side of it, or because you are and have formed opinions about the impact/benefit of such a change?

I'm not saying I disagree with the decision necessarily, I'd need to read more on the impact of shorter keyword support in mysql's full text indexes to form an opinion - just wondering if things like this would benefit from additional technical support is all.
It's not a recommended change and can adversely affect site performance is the crux of the issue.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I'm not a full fledged developer but can hold my own with MySql (I also used to server as a moderator over at the vBulletin dev site) but I don't like going in and messing with it anymore for the most part, I would need the right justification and for something like this it's not worth me going down that road since I haven't even gone in there yet.

D

Deleted member 199

It's not a recommended change and can adversely affect site performance is the crux of the issue.
I mean.. it'll increase the size of fulltext indexes, definitely, so _searches_ will most likely be impacted, by how much will depend on the amount of memory available, and how much content is actually in the database.

But the odd part to me is that a 4 character minimum is not the mysql default (it's 3 - and even eg. our Percona instances use the same default)

So maybe the forum setup is changing the database default minimum token (word) size from 3 to 4 characters?

But my question was mostly trying to judge Eric's view point in all of this (not even just for this, I'd wondered before what kind of ops support he has for the site)

U

User.191

I mean.. it'll increase the size of fulltext indexes, definitely, so _searches_ will most likely be impacted, by how much will depend on the amount of memory available, and how much content is actually in the database.

But the odd part to me is that a 4 character minimum is not the mysql default (it's 3 - and even eg. our Percona instances use the same default)

So maybe the forum setup is changing the database default minimum token (word) size from 3 to 4 characters?

But my question was mostly trying to judge Eric's view point in all of this (not even just for this, I'd wondered before what kind of ops support he has for the site)

I'm pretty blase myself about such changes to our FullText indexes because I prefix any change I do on them that is requested by someone with "You request it, you break it, you fix it" and it's a known truism with me that I'll brook no "but you made the change".

So I personally don't care. I look after the bloody things but the application uses them. If the app throws a wobbly as a result then - well, not. my fault (TBH).

So yeah, I tend to be vocally cavalier but in reality I would prefer to treat them with kid gloves most of the time since the app hinges upon them.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It just seems I can search in something like “CRT” at MRs and not have it tell me, it‘s too short of a search parameter. I wonder if they made some changes over there in this regard?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Finally got around to adding this. SSH session through a Mac Terminal, fun stuff!

You can search for three letters now.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

I would hope you have some kind of API on top of that SQL. Otherwise I may have to change my user handle.

exploits_of_a_mom.png

Top Bottom