Plot Twist - Trump now says he'll veto unless they increase the stimulus from $600 to $2000

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly, this is the scariest part.

Apparently if 45 sits on the bill, Congress will expire before being allowed to do anything about it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Pelosi seizes the opportunity and puts the $2000 stimulus before the House... Republicans predictably vote no, putting them on record as opposing Trump. Poetic justice for those who supported Trump the last 4 years.

Meanwhile Trump's off to Mar a Lago to sulk and pull more walls down around the GOP's ears, but by his suggestion he might veto the package and then suggesting unattainable amendments, he has left ordinary Americans with unemployment insurance expiring, no money on the table for necessities never mind holiday expenditures.

Not to mention that he did go ahead and veto the NDAA, and that in either vetoing or pocket-vetoing the omnibus bill with the covid-relief in it, the government will shut down without yet another CR early in the week.

I will be surprised if many Senators on Trump's now pretty nominal side of the aisle are still in his column for his waning days if he keeps this up. Trump should maybe have a caution: the House still lies in Dem hands and could impeach him again on a moment's notice with but a single wink and nod from Mitch McConnell if the votes are there on the Senate side this time around. Nobody counts votes like Pelosi but Mitch is a very close second.

The minority GOP in the House now is a colossal mess. They are outed as not only clowns but saboteurs.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
source.gif

an unforgettable Nancy Moment

why i love this:

1 she has him totally figured out. its so obvious. appeal to his vanity. period.
what anyone watching this can see is that she is stage clapping. yet he loves it. he is basking in it.

2. on a broader level, she has men in general figured out as well.

trump gave the same sort of preening moment at NATO
tenor.gif

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Per a piece reported in Bloomberg News, there's still a chance Trump will just sign the omnibus bill with the Covid-relief options as passed already by both House and Senate. It may depend on whether his Xmas Day golf buddy Lindsey Graham has managed to persuade him to sign it... and whether that sticks in Trump's head or he continues to fume about how to throw more gas on all the fires he's been lighting.

Meanwhile Pelosi figures to try one more time on Monday to pass a $2k direct stimulus provision on Monday if Trump does not sign the original bill, which per the cited piece has been flown down to Florida.

Place yer bets: would Trump rather keep alive his $2k idea with the help of the House Speaker who brought his impeachment to the historical record of his presidency? Or would he rather rebrand himself as not after all the Great Savior of ordinary Americans who don't have a dime left to pay rent with on January 1? Talk about painting himself into impossible corners. I doubt Trump has the wisdom to hate himself but he must sometimes wonder WTF man, WTF?

Either way McConnell's side of the Senate is not having a $2k bump of the $600 direct relief part of that bill, which is probably a fact that Graham has at least mentioned to Trump today on the links.

So as much as The Don would like to burn Mitch for having said Joe won the election, it's going to be hard to find a way to do it now, except by further helping throw the Georgia Senate races in the direction of a Dem win. That's a knotty problem since the new Senate gets sworn in on Jan 3 and then awaits outcome of the Jan 5th races to see if the Dems have tied up the chamber which gives incoming VP Harris the tie-breaking vote.

Personally if I were Trump and realized that either the 116th or 117th Senate might finally be up for removing him from office before January 20th, I'd sign the original bill with the $600 stimulus checks provision and go back to playing golf.

Trump hasn’t explicitly said he would veto the legislation, which Congress finished processing Thursday after it passed both chambers on Monday. The White House didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment. The bill has been flown to Florida, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Trump played a Christmas Day round of golf at his private club in West Palm Beach with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, an ally of the president who has urged him to sign the measure.

If the president doesn’t do so by Monday night, the government -- now operating under temporary funding -- would begin a partial shutdown starting on Tuesday. The House may attempt to pass another stopgap funding measure on Monday if Trump hasn’t acted.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Trump is now hoping that by screwing the Republicans involved in the relief effort to show his displeasure with them, he can now pitch his losers that he fought for them to get the higher amount $2000, but I don’t know if that was per week or month or 1 time.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Trump is now hoping that by screwing the Republicans involved in the relief effort to show his displeasure with them, he can now pitch his losers that he fought for them to get the higher amount $2000, but I don’t know if that was per week or month or 1 time.
It doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter to his supporters that he didn't communicate such things to muscomitch or mnuchin during the whole time meetings were going on for months.

He could say he wanted $2K after the bill was passed and they got $600 45 checks, the 45 supporters wouldn't be mad at 45, but everyone else because 45 told them so.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
If Trump really wants to run again, it would look pretty bad to veto any relief bill. They could beat him over the head with that just for starters.

Whatever he does, I imagine he’ll talk major public shit about the GOP once he’s out of office, making some of them regret supporting him.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For better or worse both sides fought it out and came up with a solution so I have a hard time blaming Republicans here, this is Trump wielding what power he has left as a fuck you to America on his way out and it is a hard blow for those who are suffering. Even his own supporters will be impacted by this.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
For better or worse both sides fought it out and came up with a solution so I have a hard time blaming Republicans here, this is Trump wielding what power he has left as a fuck you to America on his way out and it is a hard blow for those who are suffering. Even his own supporters will be impacted by this.
And his supporters will still believe he is trying to help since he’s the one who recommended $2000.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And his supporters will still believe he is trying to help since he’s the one who recommended $2000.
I believe he is trying to garner support from his Koolaid drinkers for some vague future in politics, yet they won’t be happy, possibly with him if they can get their heads out of their asses after they are out on the street.

lizkat

Reaction score
Reuters reports Trump finally backed down and signed the bill.

More from WaPo

In a statement he issued after signing the law, Trump released a long list of false claims and grievances. He said he would be sending a “redlined” version of the bill back to Congress “insisting that those funds be removed from the bill.”

Trump is only president for less than a month, and lawmakers are likely to ignore any such request.

In the same statement, he said “much more money is coming, and I will never give up my fight for the American people!”

After Trump signed the bill into law, Democrats attacked him and said his decision to drag the process out for days was harmful to many Americans.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Reuters reports Trump finally backed down and signed the bill.

More from WaPo

His reign of terror is just about over. He is delusional at this point if he thinks he has any political capital whatsoever.

lizkat

Reaction score
His reign of terror is just about over. He is delusional at this point if he thinks he has any political capital whatsoever.

This should have been some kind of last straw for some Republican constituents... even Trump 2020 voters. The House and Senate must have got some interesting phone calls as the hours ticked down to cancellation of unemployment insurance... and as more than 11 million home renting families waited to find out if the eviction moratorium was going to end and whether landlords would then put them out on the street in January...

Top Bottom
1 2