Police Brutality

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/mnro3v
Nazario repeatedly asked what was going on but got no response. Frightened and unsure what to do, he told the officers he was scared to get out.
Gutierrez then responded, “Yeah, you should be,” the complaint said.
The officers then attempted to pull Nazario out of the vehicle. When the 27-year-old asked that they call a police supervisor, Gutierrez stepped back and pepper sprayed Nazario multiple times, the lawsuit says.
The chemical temporarily blinded Nazario and caused a burning sensation in his lungs, throat and skin. Nazario’s dog was in a crate in the back and also started to choke.

Nazario got out of the vehicle and again asked for a supervisor. Gutierrez responded with “knee-strikes” to his legs, knocking him to the ground, the lawsuit says. The two officers struck him multiple times, then handcuffed and interrogated him, the complaint says.
Gutierrez wrote in his report that his body cam video stopped recording when it was compressed between him and Nazario during a struggle.
Crocker opened the windows and tailgate of the SUV after Nazario expressed concern about his dog.

When Nazario told the officers he waited to pull over until he could get to a well-lit area, Gutierrez said that was “reasonable,” the claim states. The officer also said it “happens all the time” and that “80% of the time it is a minority” who waits to get to a lit area.

Gutierrez told Nazario the problem was that he refused to exit the vehicle, according to the claim, and threatened to charge him with obstructing justice, eluding police and assaulting a law enforcement officer.

Just an example of what's wrong with policing in the USA. They escalate and look for excuses to shoot the guy dead.
WHat boiled my blood when they told the Army guy to undo his seatbelt. I think he would have been shot to death do moment he did it.

This again will end up with a settlement, paid by the public, with minimal to no reprimand to these two bullies.
I'd love to see a financial analysis as to how it would look if we made concerted efforts to reroute founds from settlements to prevent cases that lead to those very settlements....

This shit above is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Just an example of what's wrong with policing in the USA. They escalate and look for excuses to shoot the guy dead.
WHat boiled my blood when they told the Army guy to undo his seatbelt. I think he would have been shot to death do moment he did it
No question about it in my mind. At least one of the goons would have shouted “Gun!“ as soon as a hand was lowered and then the army guy and his car would have been riddled with bullets.

Unacceptable. Amen.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
No question about it in my mind. At least one of the goons would have shouted “Gun!“ as soon as a hand was lowered and then the army guy and his car would have been riddled with bullets.

Unacceptable. Amen.
In my books what the cops are doing meet criteria for criminal behavior.

Yoused

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I harp again on my unworkable-in-the-present-climate idea

… that needs to happen: 100% conscription. Everyone has to have 90 days of training before they turn 21, about a fifth of which is martial, the rest all about teamwork, and two weeks of refresh every two years. Everyone. This would greatly reduce the policing problem, because there would be much less of the SEP dilemma (Somebody Else's Problem).

Thus, our military would be geared toward the whole country ready to deal with the enemy pouring over the border, rather than defending the interests of corporations in other countries, and we would be better prepared to deal with natural disasters (real defense).

Alli

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

… that needs to happen: 100% conscription. Everyone has to have 90 days of training before they turn 21, about a fifth of which is martial, the rest all about teamwork, and two weeks of refresh every two years. Everyone. This would greatly reduce the policing problem, because there would be much less of the SEP dilemma (Somebody Else's Problem).

Thus, our military would be geared toward the whole country ready to deal with the enemy pouring over the border, rather than defending the interests of corporations in other countries, and we would be better prepared to deal with natural disasters (real defense).
I’ve always believed that every person should serve in some way. If not military, something like Peace Corps. But you’re right, that would take care of so many of America’s current problems.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve always believed that every person should serve in some way. If not military, something like Peace Corps. But you’re right, that would take care of so many of America’s current problems.
We are talking about a country where people scream FREEDOM about wearing a piece of clothing in front of their respiratory orifices:D

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/mnro3v

WHat boiled my blood when they told the Army guy to undo his seatbelt. I think he would have been shot to death do moment he did it.

This again will end up with a settlement, paid by the public, with minimal to no reprimand to these two bullies.
I'd love to see a financial analysis as to how it would look if we made concerted efforts to reroute founds from settlements to prevent cases that lead to those very settlements....

I read about this outrageous story in the Observer (the Sunday edition of the Guardian); horrific, and depressingly predictable.

Conscription is not the answer (especially for pacifists - neither of my brothers would ever have served in a military capacity anywhere, for anyone, as both entirely eschew and deplore violence and militarism), but, some means of inculcating a sense of what is the public good, and civic responsibility, and the whole idea of public service is very much worthwhile.

Perhaps something such as this.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
We are talking about a country where people scream FREEDOM about wearing a piece of clothing in front of their respiratory orifices:D
Fair point.

They are ludicrous, aren't they?

But, dangerous, too, unfortunately.

Alli

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, if they were brought up differently, they would behave differently.
Conscription is not the answer (especially for pacifists - neither of my brothers would ever have served in a military capacity anywhere, for anyone, as both entirey eschew and deplore violence and militarism), but, some means of inculcating a sense of what is the public good, and civic responsibility, and the whole idea of public service is very much worthwhile.
That’s why you give another non-military option.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, if they were brought up differently, they would behave differently.
Certainly! Learned helplessness about issues like guns or masks can definitely be unlearned.

That’s why you give another non-military option.
I like the Public Health Corps. They get to wear a uniform and get to do something great.
My boss chose it over Vietnam, and well it was obviously a good decision.

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score

One of two police officers accused of pepper-spraying and pointing their guns at a Black Army officer during a traffic stop has since been fired, a Virginia town announced late Sunday, hours after the governor called for an independent investigation into the case.
Oh, jolly good, fired. What is it, four months late and only when the crime got in the spotlight? Well, it’s a start. Maybe.

Wouldn’t surprise me though if he’s hired by a neighboring town and gets to live his dream and shoot someone.

Edd

Site Champ
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched the video on Morning Joe this morning for the first time. That guy was so smart to drive to a well lit area and stay cool. Then he played those cops like a fiddle and let them fuck themselves. They could see his uniform and it apparently took a back seat to his skin color. Must have been terrifying. It blows my mind how dumb that lead cop was.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score

Oh, jolly good, fired. What is it, four months late and only when the crime got in the spotlight? Well, it’s a start. Maybe.

Wouldn’t surprise me though if he’s hired by a neighboring town and gets to live his dream and shoot someone.
Watched the video on Morning Joe this morning for the first time. That guy was so smart to drive to a well lit area and stay cool. Then he played those cops like a fiddle and let them fuck themselves. They could see his uniform and it apparently took a back seat to his skin color. Must have been terrifying. It blows my mind how dumb that lead cop was.
I read thru the lawsuit documents. The two cops lied at least 10 times in their report and managed to admit these lies in the same footage, which include:
1. They claimed he was "eluding" cops by driving to a well-lit plave => they admitted this is "reasonable" on the footage
2. There's video and radio evidence Nazario put out his signals and slowed down in response to the cops' tailing him.
3. They admitted they presumed it's a "minority" as they are the ones stopping *edit: in well-lit areas
4. The temporary license plate is visible on the video, despite the claims it wasn't.

So on and so forth. This takes me back to @Gutwrench's comments about cops having to have insurance would never work as part of you job description is to cause bodily harm if needed. He's right about this, and for a business model, selling insurance to those don't need it what brings profit anyways. However, if your job description involves causing bodily harm if necessary, it should be mandatory to provide the highest level documentation possible, which in the 21st century is definitely more than just written statements by cops.

Just imagine, even 5 years ago, this would have been hearsay and Nazario would have very little recourse.

Last edited:

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this? I’m not getting the meaning.
Sure:

1618232115317.png

1618232147462.png

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, got it. And wow.
Quite impressive, right? They are so deeply racist they readily incriminate themselves because they apparently see nothing problematic with these statements suggesting they assume stopping an until then absolutely compliant "minority" automatically justifies escalating to "felony traffic stop" and the threat of deadly force.

Nazario is suing for $1M.

Yoused

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
International Associaion of Chiefs of Police:
On my honor, I will never
Betray my integrity, my character
Or the public trust.
I will always have the courage to hold myself
and others accountable for our actions.
I will always maintain the highest ethical standards
and uphold the values of my community,
and the agency I serve.

This is supposed to be an Officer's oath of service (it may just be a sort of template, though). Seems kind of off the mark, based on what we have seen.

Top Bottom