• Please Go Here to get the facts on the safety of the COVID 19 vaccination.

Police Brutality

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The new parents acted really weird, refusing neonatal screening and all. This is why I could never be a pediatrician...the shit I've seen on my peds rotation made me super jaded (shaken babies, etc). One of the most severe thing was a cop whose kid was admitted wanting to arrest the on-call residents for calling CPS. Brrr.
I would think sending 10 - 15 armed police officers to check on a child is the weird thing.

All based on basically a hunch.

Do you think that's normal protocol?

OP
P_X

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would think sending 10 - 15 armed police officers to check on a child is the weird thing.

All based on basically a hunch.

Do you think that's normal protocol?
I watched a video of a cop shooting a guy in the head point blank who was arrested on the suspicion of intoxicated driving in the context of what appeared to be a suicide attempt. None of this shit should involve a single firearm.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
We don't have access any longer to the history of some police department's abuses, with PRSI gone. One PD that had such a history was the Aurora PD, the police that stopped & killed Elijah McClain.

From that point on, an eye was on the PD, which one would hope curb such behavior. It didn't.

It continued. It continues...

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Saw this on another site
some guy posted

First there was this:
Then there was this:
Then this happened:
And then this happened:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another form of brutality? When one system has decidedly different results for two people for the same crime.

Scratch that. One person commits a greater crime & is somehow punished less, for SOME reason the court won't explain.

Neither judge could comment on their sentences but Cleveland activists immediately decried the disparity in the two sentences. The white woman committed more crimes, over a longer period of time. She stole more money than the Black woman. She had 21 more charges and cost taxpayers six times more money. She was facing 60 years in prison while the Black woman’s maximum sentence was three years. Yet the Black woman received more prison time than prosecutors wanted her to spend in jail.

“I think it reinforces the lack of trust in the justice system,” said Danielle Sydnor, president of Cleveland’s NAACP chapter. “These types of things are the way the system was designed, and they will continue to happen if we don’t have large-scale reform.”

OP
P_X

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another form of brutality? When one system has decidedly different results for two people for the same crime.

Scratch that. One person commits a greater crime & is somehow punished less, for SOME reason the court won't explain.
It is. Police are the enforcers of this system. Every time something like this comes up, I pull up some papers and learn something new:

This article analyzes sentencing outcomes for black and white men in Georgia. The analysis uses sentencing data collected by the Georgia Department of Corrections (GDC). Among first-time offenders, both the race-only models and race and skin color models estimate that, on average, blacks receive sentences that are 4.25 percent higher than those of whites even after controlling for legally-relevant factors such as the type of crime. However, the skin color model also shows us that this figure hides important intraracial differences in sentence length: while medium- and dark-skinned blacks receive sentences that are about 4.8 percent higher than those of whites, lighter-skinned blacks receive sentences that are not statistically significantly different from those of whites. After controlling for socioeconomic status in the race-only and race and skin color models the remaining difference between whites and dark- and medium-skinned blacks increases slightly, to 5.5 percent. These findings are discussed with respect to the implications for public policy and for racial hierarchy in the United States.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Got a lot of cash on you? Happen to be not white? The DEA can steal your money and refuse to give it back with no evidence of a crime. Hey, the war on drugs costs money! Gotta get it from somewhere!

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Got a lot of cash on you? Happen to be not white? The DEA can steal your money and refuse to give it back with no evidence of a crime. Hey, the war on drugs costs money! Gotta get it from somewhere!

While common for people of hue, this does also happen to white people. The police have been known to tear a car apart looking for evidence, just because, and then tell the owner, "We didn't find anything. Have a nice evening", with no apology.

The thing about forfeiture is that you have to prove your case in court. Your cash is guilty until proven innocent, and the burden of proof is on you. Unless it is in the 5 digit range (e.g., Pedro, who owns a lucrative taco truck), it could well cost you more time and treasure to get some of it back than it is worth. Just like when they tore your car apart, found nothing and left you stranded on a dark highway at night: do not expect any help or compensation, especially if you objected to the pillage.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I didn't think we'd get this far, and I am NOT expecting much.

It doesn't change how the Aurora police acted in THAT case, or in the ones afterward.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also with no PRSI, this was a long running topic, that we can revisit...

A former Georgia district attorney has been booked on charges linked to her alleged mishandling of the case of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man who was pursued and gunned down as he jogged through a Brunswick neighborhood last year.

Ex-Glynn County District Attorney Jackie Johnson turned herself in to the Glynn County Sheriff's office Wednesday morning, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, after a grand jury returned an indictment on counts of obstruction and violations of oath by a public officer last week. Johnson was released from the Glynn County Detention Center on a $10,000 bond, the paper reports. State prosecutors alleged that she used her position to delay arrests of the White men who chased and killed the 25-year-old Arbery.

Johnson was the county's top prosecutor when Arbery was fatally shot last year, and one of the armed men who pursued him had worked for her as an investigator. Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr, a Republican, sought the indictment after requesting an investigation of possible misconduct by local prosecutors who failed to bring charges in the killing.

Top Bottom