Police Brutality

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I was aware that sickle cell trait is common in black people. I was also aware that it generally is not a health risk for most people with the trait. I was NOT aware that police killers have often claimed that people they killed actually died due to the respiratory failure caused by the sickle cell trait. One of the most infamous cases was when 8 people basically beat a 14-year old child to death at a “boot camp” school for teenagers. An “expert” witness (Dr.) put just enough doubt into a Florida jury’s mind to acquit the people on tape killing the kid... despite an autopsy showing the beating killed him. Gotta wonder seriously about the people on that jury and their biases…..

This article from The NY Times details many cases in which sickle cell trait was used to excuse police killings.

The story of the teenager Martin Lee Anderson:

One officer grabbed him by the left arm, another by the right. His face was pressed against the rough wooden boards of the fence. He was told he must run. When he didn’t, his face was pushed in the dirt. Beyond the fence, school buses passed by. Thus began a series of knee strikes, wrist bends and pressure maneuvers to Martin’s head that lasted for more than 40 minutes. Some of the officers fetched cups of water that they poured on the boy’s head. Ammonia capsules came next. They were held under Martin’s nose, while one of seven officers appeared to hold his hand over the boy’s mouth.
But sure, he died of a genetic defect…? Fuck that all-white jury and the “expert” witness, the killers, the person who did the initial autopsy… all of them. How the fuck did a judge (or the prosecuting attorney for that matter) allow an all-white jury in the 21st century? This is an old story, but seriously… the fact that a black kid was killed by a gang of Cops, it was all on tape, and none of them were convicted… because of a shithead doctor with a false sickle cell diagnosis that was later disproven, but the jury decided to believe it anyway?

One Last fun quote from the doctor who proffered the sickle cell diagnosis after the acquittal was announced:

"I am feeling a little vindicated. People got to see a lot more than what's been publicized in the media," said Siebert, who was widely criticized for his autopsy. He said he was going to celebrate with some of the guards.
Wow, the ”doctor” is going to celebrate with the guards. Seems like he’s a reliable and unbiased person to be performing autopsies of police killings. Seriously, how is this case and its outcome any better than Emmett Till?

PS - I forgot: the prosecutor on the case presented two expert witnesses whose testimonies didn’t seem to match. How could a prosecutor make such an error?

Yup, she later joined the Trump team. Only the best people.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
...And here's you 'kick in the dick' early today...

NOW you F'N admit this?!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬:brickwall:

SHUT ALL THE F'S UP!!!!
Exactly. The “grants” Sen. Scott talked about ALREADY had conditions on them. Under Trump, police departments that didn’t go along with his attacks on immigrants were “defunded” if that’s how Tim wants to frame it. Tim NEVER was going to pass the reform. His job was to sit on it until people forgot about it.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Police killings in America have been undercounted by more than half over the past four decades

The article begins with:

Researchers comparing information from death certificates with data from organizations that track police killings in the United States identified a startling discrepancy.

Is anybody actually startled by this? Sadly, I doubt it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
:cautious: Colorado.

When Brady Mistic drove into the parking lot of a Colorado laundromat one day in September 2019, he thought he was about to run a routine errand.

But moments after exiting his car, Mistic was blinded by the lights of a parked police cruiser. Two Idaho Springs police officers began shouting commands at Mistic, who was 24 at the time. One officer threw him to the ground, and the other stunned Mistic with her Taser, according to a new federal lawsuit.

The officers claim Mistic resisted arrest, but the Coloradan says there was a different reason for his confused behavior when police confronted him: He couldn't hear them. Mistic is deaf in both ears, isn't able to lip-read and uses American Sign Language to communicate.

Now, he is suing the two officers, the city of Idaho Springs and the Clear Creek County Board of Commissioners, arguing that police violated his civil rights when they violently arrested him without warning.
"They went to force unreasonably fast, unreasonably rashly, without any legitimate justification for using force, which is particularly problematic for a person who's disabled like Mr. Mistic was," Raymond Bryant, Mistic's attorney, told NPR.

Mistic spent more than four months in jail, only to have the charges against him dropped eventually, the suit says.

In a statement, the Idaho Springs Police Department said the two officers didn't know Mistic was deaf during the initial encounter and maintained that Mistic resisted arrest, causing one of the officers to break his leg.

The department added that former Idaho Springs Police Chief Christian Malanka reviewed the matter and found the officers' actions were appropriate.
👀
On Sept. 17, 2019, former Idaho Springs Police Officer Nicholas Hanning and Officer Ellie Summers, who was in training at the time, followed Mistic into the laundromat parking lot after they allegedly witnessed him run a stop sign.

Mistic got out of his car and started walking toward the laundromat. Police said Hanning and Summers ordered him to get back into his car and, when he didn't, tried to place him in handcuffs "due to his unexplained actions," at which point he resisted arrest.

But he didn't know what the officers wanted or even if their "presence had anything to do with him," according to the lawsuit Mistic filed in federal court this month in Colorado.

Bryant said his client did not resist arrest but rather put his hands up when the officers approached him. "A person would have to know they're under arrest in order to resist arrest," Bryant said.

After he was on the ground, Mistic yelled "no ears" to try to communicate to the officers he was deaf, but they ignored him, the suit says.

Summers told emergency medical staff called to the scene that Mistic was deaf, but neither officer ever tried to secure an ASL interpreter, according to the suit.

Mistic then spent more than four months in jail and says he was repeatedly denied an interpreter.
Police charged Mistic with assault on a first responder, obstructing a peace officer and resisting arrest. He was also charged with possession of forged currency, the suit says, because police found movie-prop money in his wallet.

The charges were later dropped, according to the lawsuit. Police said the district attorney's office for the 5th Judicial District let Mistic participate in a diversion program in lieu of facing formal charges.

Hanning was later charged with third-degree assault and fired from the police force in a separate case in which he allegedly used his Taser on a 75-year-old man, according to The Associated Press. Summers, who used a Taser on Mistic, according to the lawsuit, is still an officer with the Idaho Springs police.

I want to know, how the 'F' did they justify the man being locked up for 4 months, before being released?

What the 'F' is that?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Brief reminder, it isn't just the police

FAtNgTVXEAYPcYU

That hurt. 🤬

Pumbaa

Conversational Warthog
Vaccinated
Reaction score
A bunch of comments on Reddit related to this finally made me think I understand what most of the anti-George Floyders think they’re saying when they bring up his criminal history.

They have their heads so far up their own cult leaders’ asses that they think a movement or protest that mentions George Floyd has deified him and follows him as a martyr, and murals and busts like this are idols for worshiping him. Everything is always about the person, never about a cause separate from the person.

Still racist crap. Still intentional attempts to deflect from the real issues. But the form it takes aligns perfectly with the cult of personality angle.

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Bonus history...

As many as 10,000 demonstrators blocked traffic in downtown Manhattan on Sept. 16, 1992. Reporters and innocent bystanders were violently assaulted by the mob as thousands of dollars in private property was destroyed in multiple acts of vandalism. The protesters stormed up the steps of City Hall, occupying the building. They then streamed onto the Brooklyn Bridge, where they blocked traffic in both directions, jumping on the cars of trapped, terrified motorists. Many of the protestors were carrying guns and openly drinking alcohol.

Yet the uniformed police present did little to stop them. Why? Because the rioters were nearly all white, off‐duty NYPD officers. They were participating in a Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association demonstration against Mayor David Dinkins’ call for a Civilian Complaint Review Board and his creation earlier that year of the Mollen Commission, formed to investigate widespread allegations of misconduct within the NYPD.

In the center of the mayhem, standing on top of a car while cursing Mayor Dinkins through a bullhorn, was mayoral candidate Rudy Giuliani.

“Beer cans and broken beer bottles littered the streets as Mr. Giuliani led the crowd in chants,” The New York Times reported.

Rudy on racist roll leads police in a riot against the city's Black major. Sounds like a city highlight Rudy & the police don't share enough.

Yup. Sounds about right.

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Bonus history... Rudy on racist roll leads police in a riot against the city's Black major. Sounds like a city highlight Rudy & the police don't share enough.

Yup. Sounds about right.
I was unaware of that incident party,

Defenders of the protesters said that they’d gotten out of hand, but their anger should be understood. In addition to not wanting a civilian review board, they objected to investigations of corruption, not providing them with semi-automatic weapons, expressions of sympathy to families of people killed by police, and a delay in sending in a large police force to quell rioting in Washington Heights earlier that year ... protesting a police killing in the area …

So, yeah, the police were entirely white about their complaints.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
A bunch of comments on Reddit related to this finally made me think I understand what most of the anti-George Floyders think they’re saying when they bring up his criminal history.

They have their heads so far up their own cult leaders’ asses that they think a movement or protest that mentions George Floyd has deified him and follows him as a martyr, and murals and busts like this are idols for worshiping him. Everything is always about the person, never about a cause separate from the person.

I’ve mentioned this phenomenon in relation to other issues. The right looks at the left like we all live by the same terms as they do. They agree with Trump on everything. So they assume everybody on the left agrees with Biden and see him as flawless. At least at this point in history, the right is pretty united while the left is pretty diverse in thought and objectives, but the right just assumes we are all on the same page because they are. So when they see some SJW getting all extreme they assume we’re all on board with that. "Defund the police", anyone? This is why I’m saying now is not the time to get all crazy with single pet issues. Unite over the bigger picture.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I was unaware of that incident party,

Defenders of the protesters said that they’d gotten out of hand, but their anger should be understood. In addition to not wanting a civilian review board, they objected to investigations of corruption, not providing them with semi-automatic weapons, expressions of sympathy to families of people killed by police, and a delay in sending in a large police force to quell rioting in Washington Heights earlier that year ... protesting a police killing in the area …

So, yeah, the police were entirely white about their complaints.
I think the fact that I keep learning about these things or being reminded when I lived in various areas, is the reminder how some history is selectively remembered or forgotten.

It's the reminder that some people will condemn others for actions they've done themselves.

Supposedly he's now resigned due to pressure from his investigations.

The FBI raided the home and office of the controversial head of the NYPD’s Sergeants Benevolent Association on Tuesday morning as part of a probe into the suspected theft of union funds, law enforcement sources told The Post.

SBA President Ed Mullins and other union officials are expected to resign over the scandal as early as soon as Wednesday, a high-ranking NYPD official said.

Agents seized computer gear from Mullins’ house in Port Washington, Long Island, after entering around 6 a.m., sources said.

Other potential evidence, including boxes of documents, was also carried out of SBA headquarters on Worth Street in Lower Manhattan, sources said.

More than 20 agents emerged during the course of the day, including two who carried large, unsealed boxes, one of which held a jacket and a backpack.

He was also in hot water for his behavior with the mayor's daughter

In February, Mullins was slapped with NYPD disciplinary charges for tweeting Chiara de Blasio’s arrest report and other tweets in which he called a city official and a city council member a “bitch” and a “first class whore,” respectively.

The case went to trial in September but was put on hold when one of Mullins’ lawyers experienced an unspecified medical emergency.

It’s set to resume on Oct. 27.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The controversial president of the union representing NYPD sergeants resigned Tuesday after federal investigators searched the union’s headquarters and his home.

Sergeants Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins resigned at the request of the union’s board, the board said in a letter to its membership late Tuesday.

“The nature and scope of this criminal investigation has yet to be determined,” the board’s letter said. “However, it is clear that President Mullins is apparently the target of the federal investigation. We have no reason to believe that any other member of the SBA is involved or targeted in this matter.”

Mullins’ abrupt departure came after federal investigators descended Tuesday on the SBA’s lower Manhattan headquarters and Mullins’ Long Island home.

ronntaylor

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Rudy on racist roll leads police in a riot against the city's Black major. Sounds like a city highlight Rudy & the police don't share enough.

Yup. Sounds about right.
I remember this disgusting riot like it was yesterday. Rudy's rioters used a mannequin dressed as a washroom attendant as a stand-in for the sitting mayor, New York's first Black mayor. I was working as a security officer for Bergdorg-Goodman and bunch of punks in blue borrowed the mannequin from the store design department. The manager was ashamed and embarrassed when he found out it was used by the racists.

thekev

Site Champ
Reaction score
:cautious: Colorado.

👀

I want to know, how the 'F' did they justify the man being locked up for 4 months, before being released?

What the 'F' is that?

All of that sounds like a bunch of garbage. It's illegal to try to make a purchase with prop currency, but prop currency is not meant to be an exact replica of the real thing. It's meant to look similar on video, particularly when not viewed close up.

I'm disappointed Summers is still an officer. Getting rid of bad cops while they're in training is arguably better than waiting.

5e31ec85d957c.image.jpg

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
All of that sounds like a bunch of garbage. It's illegal to try to make a purchase with prop currency, but prop currency is not meant to be an exact replica of the real thing. It's meant to look similar on video, particularly when not viewed close up.

I'm disappointed Summers is still an officer. Getting rid of bad cops while they're in training is arguably better than waiting.

5e31ec85d957c.image.jpg
And it’s also not the same size as regular currency.

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I think the fact that I keep learning about these things or being reminded when I lived in various areas, is the reminder how some history is selectively remembered or forgotten.
I remember The Move, and Rodney King and a few other stories because of extensive coverage. If I mentioned "Rajneeshpuram", you would probably say, "huh?", but for the people who lived where I did at the time, it was saturation.

The police riot in NYC, though, we were on the other coast. It might have got lower front page once and then, nothing. So, it made no real impression.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I remember The Move, and Rodney King and a few other stories because of extensive coverage. If I mentioned "Rajneeshpuram", you would probably say, "huh?", but for the people who lived where I did at the time, it was saturation.

The police riot in NYC, though, we were on the other coast. It might have got lower front page once and then, nothing. So, it made no real impression.
I respectfully disagree.

Key phrase, "police riot". Forget where it took place. "Police riot". How often have you heard that happen?

I think there's considered to be only 6 - 8 documented incidents involving the police as rioting, and the one we are talking about doesn't count as one of those. Although it certainly fits the bill of one, since they did terrify the populace while wearing their guns. But hey can't have "America's mayor" known for that time he was in on that time White police officers rioted because they didn't like the idea of oversight for their well known past shit.

Not only that but the police were led by a guy who the first Black mayor of NYC defeated & got the endorsements of 3 or the 4 ( it shouldn't be hard to guess which one, since they also supported a former 2X impeached president for re election ) City papers.

It isn't about locality, but a narrative that needs to be maintained. You can't have stories of police rioting against it's first Black mayor. You can't have stories of a white populace rioting so badly they literally wipe a city off the map & try for collective memory as well. You can't have stories about one of your biggest landmarks being placed to compete with a sister city and try remove successful neighborhood of color off the map. The certainly don't bring up the riots in 1877, but we don't go "well that happened in San Francisco". Hell, one group can't seem to remember how January 6th actually happen. We aren't even getting into the numerous shit we still don't know happened to the Native American children in Canada. A narrative is picked & chosen in this country often to keep one group comfortable, not because that unpleasant thing didn't happen in our neighborhoods within the last decade.

It's about deciding what parts of history ( usually the pretty ones, unless Hollywood does a movie on the uglier parts with popular actors ) a majority of the country can be comfortable with, and discarding the rest for fear it teaches things like divisiveness or supposedly racism.

Top Bottom