Police Reform thoughts

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Yoused

Site Champ
Reaction score
That’s why it’s pretty comical that Portland became ground zero for the BLM movement and protests, a city and state with few black residence to this day because it wasn’t too long ago in our history that they weren’t even allowed to live there.
I went the HS in Portland. You can see my old High School in a Gus van Sant movie called Elephant, but not in real life because it was razed to a grassy field. My school was about half African-American. I was in the Haynes School-within-a-School, which was headed by Audrey Haynes, an African-American. This was more than four decades ago, so to say that there are not very many blacks in Oregon is not accurate.

In the 1920s, the Klan raised a large membership in Oregon, but after a few years, it fizzled out because Oregon was still very white at the time. But the borders were leaky even in the mid twentieth century. Portland has a sizable black population. Outlying areas, outside the cities, do tend to be very white, though I am pretty sure that that is the case in most of the American West.

niji

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
I went the HS in Portland. You can see my old High School in a Gus van Sant movie called Elephant, but not in real life because it was razed to a grassy field. My school was about half African-American. I was in the Haynes School-within-a-School, which was headed by Audrey Haynes, an African-American. This was more than four decades ago, so to say that there are not very many blacks in Oregon is not accurate.

In the 1920s, the Klan raised a large membership in Oregon, but after a few years, it fizzled out because Oregon was still very white at the time. But the borders were leaky even in the mid twentieth century. Portland has a sizable black population. Outlying areas, outside the cities, do tend to be very white, though I am pretty sure that that is the case in most of the American West.
i once lived off Sandy Blvd in NE (among several other places i lived in within Portland).
i didn't have a car at the time, and i didn't venture much into N Portland.
each compass direction of Portland definitely has its own distinct feel and residents.
you are also right about there once being quite a big KKK in Oregon.
Oregon has been blessed with very vibrant Asian American (specifically Japanese-American) presence before and after WW II.

Top Bottom