Propaganda vs Reality: K-12 schools and parents

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It seems that just about every day, I read (multiple) articles about how angry parents are. They’ve lost faith in their schools, they are storming board meetings, and it’s all because of “woke” indoctrination or mask mandates.

If you turn off the news and talk to parents, you will discover that these angry parents are a very small minority. Unfortunately for everybody else, they have a right-wing propaganda machine behind them… not only amplifying their grievances, but pushing them to act out to gain some notoriety.

The results from this survey tell us the REAL story of parents and what they think of their local schools. Overall, they are quite happy, and for every parent who thinks the schools are too “woke,” there is another parent who thinks schools aren’t “woke” enough.

"It really is a pretty vocal minority that is hyper-focused on parental rights and decisions around curriculum," observes Mallory Newall of Ipsos, which conducted the poll.

Just 18% of parents say their child's school taught about gender and sexuality in a way that clashed with their family's values; just 19% say the same about race and racism; and just 14% feel that way about U.S. history.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
We were unhappy with the way our school district handled covid, so we pulled our two kids and moved them to private. Not everyone has the ability to do that, but we are so much happier with their new schools. They are flourishing in ways that we didn't even know they could outside of public school.

I live in the DC area, and our district is one of the largest in the nation. It is so large that we often have weather related cancelations because it is snowing in one part of the county and not in the other, but they have to make one decision for everyone. It is hard to accomplish anything because the system is too large and it has largely been mismanaged (our superintendent's contract was not renewed).

I think schools have a difficult job of trying to manage the needs of everyone, and often the needs of the few supersede the needs of the many. I wish there were an easier way for large districts to meet the needs of all kids, but typically they are just too underfunded to do so.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got ahold of my nephew’s kindergarten class schedule and I have to say I’m appalled.

8:00 - Pledge of hating America and God

8:10 - 1,300 alternatives to milk and meat

8:30 - White people are the devil

9:30 - Genitals and IKEA furniture: A shared history of multifunctional interchangeability

10:30 - Man shaming

11:30 - Parents’ guns scavenger hunt results

11:37 - Paramedics and counselors arrive after unforeseen Parents’ guns scavenger hunt results incident

12:00 - Lunch

12:30 - Voting machine schematics and undetectable altering

1:30 - Nap time

2:00 - Woke up call!

2:15 - Work from home: A field guide to work avoidance

2:45 - Making playdoh genital molds

That’s pretty heady stuff they shouldn’t be exposed to until at least 2nd grade. Keep it to the classics like the nutritional value of buggers and how every adult you aren’t related to is a sexual predator kidnapper.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Here is all I will say.

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Man the Pedo mentality is rampant in republicans. Makes me fear that they are feeling guilty.
That’s consistently been the case, when you hear about politicians. There’s been mountains of articles written about how concern for possibly abused children triggers a visceral reaction, which is great for demonizing the persons whom those claims are directed at. It’s also been pointed out many times that that same concern isn’t there for clothing, feeding, sheltering, or school those same children if they aren’t the accusers children.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I got ahold of my nephew’s kindergarten class schedule and I have to say I’m appalled.

8:00 - Pledge of hating America and God

8:10 - 1,300 alternatives to milk and meat

8:30 - White people are the devil

9:30 - Genitals and IKEA furniture: A shared history of multifunctional interchangeability

10:30 - Man shaming

11:30 - Parents’ guns scavenger hunt results

11:37 - Paramedics and counselors arrive after unforeseen Parents’ guns scavenger hunt results incident

12:00 - Lunch

12:30 - Voting machine schematics and undetectable altering

1:30 - Nap time

2:00 - Woke up call!

2:15 - Work from home: A field guide to work avoidance

2:45 - Making playdoh genital molds

That’s pretty heady stuff they shouldn’t be exposed to until at least 2nd grade. Keep it to the classics like the nutritional value of buggers and how every adult you aren’t related to is a sexual predator kidnapper.

I'm stealing this.

Top Bottom
1 2