Protesters shut down Golden Gate Bridge

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

This actually pisses me off and is why so many outside the state hate us.

A. With all that is going on right now in regards to rights and our democracy, THIS is what you take to the streets for?

B. CA is already probably the most undocumented immigrant friendly state in the country. Clearly you don’t know who your real enemies are.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Shutting down busy places like this is dumb for any reason…unless they’re protesting the GGB.
They like to do this in Oregon, too. In the end all you're really doing is pissing off everyone who is just trying to get home or to work, I've never gotten the point of this.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
They like to do this in Oregon, too. In the end all you're really doing is pissing off everyone who is just trying to get home or to work, I've never gotten the point of this.
Maybe they buy into “All PR is good PR”. Or maybe they are pissed off and want everyone else to be pissed off too, and either don’t care or don’t realize that the people they’re pissing off won’t be pissed off about the same thing that they are.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with this across the board per se, and there are smarter than me people who believe the masses hitting the streets is the only way to protect our democracy at this point in history since the politicians have proven unable or uninterested in doing so, but this isn’t the time to hit the streets over one pet issue. All that’s going to do is be a divisive distraction. And at least to me, makes you appear out of touch with the greater issues and dangers.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with this across the board per se, and there are smarter than me people who believe the masses hitting the streets is the only way to protect our democracy at this point in history since the politicians have proven unable or uninterested in doing so, but this isn’t the time to hit the streets over one pet issue. All that’s going to do is be a divisive distraction. And at least to me, makes you appear out of touch with the greater issues and dangers.
Having some plants help stage a bunch of these “hitting the streets over one pet issue” thingies would probably be a great strategy for groups aiming to profit from a dismantled democracy. Get people to associate it with loonies and get jaded.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don't see the logic in this either. Shutting the bridge down is just going to piss people off; it's not going to accomplish anything.

In the first place, if you're going to protest something, there are at least three even more pressing issues: abortion rights, voting rights, and the climate. And in the second, it would take many sustained protests over time to even draw widespread attention to the issue. Look at what Occupy Wall Street was able to accomplish. It got more people interested in wealth inequity, but how much it was able to physically accomplish is debatable.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't see the logic in this either. Shutting the bridge down is just going to piss people off; it's not going to accomplish anything.

In the first place, if you're going to protest something, there are at least three even more pressing issues: abortion rights, voting rights, and the climate. And in the second, it would take many sustained protests over time to even draw widespread attention to the issue. Look at what Occupy Wall Street was able to accomplish. It got more people interested in wealth inequity, but how much it was able to physically accomplish is debatable.

I'd like to see national BLM level protests over the things you mentioned and what it really comes down to is the bill that is currently being held up in Congress, aside from maybe abortion. But protest and rally over that bill which covers a lot of major issues. Once you start drilling down into individual issues you are going to lose people.

There was a recent article saying how much OWS accomplished in regards to attention on wealth inequality and how it was a leftist movement but over time even people on the right agree.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
To

For undocumented immigrants, immigration policy is the biggest issue for them by far. Voting rights don’t mean anything to them since only citizens can vote in the first place.

Top Bottom
1 2