Prototype Battery Powers Tesla Model S For 752 Miles On One Charge

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This area is growing by leaps and bounds right now...

Range anxiety is still the main reason why many people are wary of buying electric vehicles, but what if there was a battery capable of offering 752 miles (1,210 km) of range to an EV the size of a Tesla Model S?

Well, that’s exactly what Michigan battery technology company Our Next Energy (ONE) claims to have. Its proof-of-concept battery powered an electric vehicle for 752 miles without recharging.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Too bad they aren’t made with swappable batteries, although if you could plan on arriving somewhere with a no hassle overnight charge, this could work. :) I think there is a psychological aspect here for many people, a hard significant down time for refueling.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I saw that, pretty amazing (I may have even mentioned it in the main thread). Sure, it added weight, and it hasn't been proven in terms of thermals, etc., but it's a POC, the point of the exercise is: we're on the verge of battery tech to support these kinds of ranges. I think the next major range bump is going to be 400-450 for full sized vehicles, 250-300 mile for compact designs.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Too bad they aren’t made with swappable batteries, although if you could plan on arriving somewhere with a no hassle overnight charge, this could work. :) I think there is a psychological aspect here for many people, a hard significant down time for refueling.

Swappable consumer/passenger car (and SUV/truck) batteries will very likely never happen. They're too integrated into the structures, they're heavy, it would be the equivalent of user swappable gas tanks. :D

[edit]

Just to clarify: I think there are terrific use cases for swappable batteries. In the consumer space, it's already in place, and super effective for scooters. In the commercial space, for large container vehicles, where there could be an industrial class battery exchange system (i.e., cranes, large charging banks, etc.)

Scooter solution, very cool:

Last edited:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Swappable consumer/passenger car (and SUV/truck) batteries will very likely never happen. They're too integrated into the structures, they're heavy, it would be the equivalent of user swappable gas tanks. :D

In a way, the batteries already are swappable. It's just that the individual batteries are expensive as hell, and you need trained professionals to do it.

If these new batteries are released on the market, you won't have to buy a brand new electric car to take advantage of them. It'll just cost you $30,000 plus labor to do so.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In a way, the batteries already are swappable. It's just that the individual batteries are expensive as hell, and you need trained professionals to do it.

If these new batteries are released on the market, you won't have to buy a brand new electric car to take advantage of them. It'll just cost you $30,000 plus labor to do so.

You're talking about a repair/replacement, we're not at the point of being able to just "swap in" a different battery spec, from any source. There's the physical form factor, all the supporting thermal management, charging, computer control, etc., the car in the article is a Frankenstein's Monster :D

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
I always thought the sweet spot for rated EV range is about 500 miles. Obviously you’re never hitting that number, but depending on how fast you drive or the weather, that should give us 350 miles of real world range

Top Bottom
1 2