Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I remember an especially idiotic thread (several years ago, after the death of the sainted Mr Jobs) on MR about his yacht (one twit even wrote dreamily about how "if only "Steve" was at the wheel"...), that ghastly Philippe Starck designed monstrosity.

My point is that I have yet to see a tastefully designed ocean going vessel owned by a plutocrat, oligarch, (Mr Putin), tech wizard, or so on.

They are all perfectly hideous, an affront and offence to taste.

Now, it is possible to design a beautiful yacht; anyone who ever visited (or even laid eyes on) the (tea clipper), the Cutty Sark, can see that beauty, elegant lines (and indeed, speed) are not fundamentally incompatible with designing an ocean going craft, or vessel. Or ship.

Anyway, nobody has ever accused Mr Putin of good taste.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
As a billionaire a yacht will be a no go for me. Galleon or nothing.

Attachments

• 1122B185-B8EB-4212-8FF4-BD65B4DAF44E.jpeg
    1122B185-B8EB-4212-8FF4-BD65B4DAF44E.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 33

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
As a billionaire a yacht will be a no go for me. Galleon or nothing.
Clipper for me.

Over thirty years ago, I spent the best part of a day touring the Cutty Sark (in dry dock in Greenwich); it was one of the most beautiful craft, or vessels, I have ever seen. Exquisite.

Mind you, for museum buffs, the Vasa museum in Stockholm - home to the eponymous Vasa, which sank on its maiden voyage in Stockholm harbour in 1628 and was salvaged in the 1950s - the museum is built around the preserved ship - (where I spent a full day until they threw me out, half an hour after closing) is simply spell-binding.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember an especially idiotic thread (several years ago, after the death of the sainted Mr Jobs) on MR about his yacht (one twit even wrote dreamily about how he wished to see "Steve" at the wheel...), that ghastly Philippe Starck designed monstrosity.

My point is that I have yet to see a tastefully designed ocean going vessel owned by a plutocrat, oligarch, (Mr Putin), tech wizard, or so on.

Are you suggesting the tech wizard behind this design is bad at yacht aesthetics?

imac_gallery_05.jpeg

U

User.45

I remember an especially idiotic thread (several years ago, after the death of the sainted Mr Jobs) on MR about his yacht (one twit even wrote dreamily about how he wished to see "Steve" at the wheel...), that ghastly Philippe Starck designed monstrosity.

you no appreciate yacht cuz you no have yacht.
(agree, but we are plebs)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Are you suggesting the tech wizard behind this design is bad at yacht aesthetics?

View attachment 11936
Yes.

As a matter of fact, I am.

Not just bad, but abysmal.

That Phillippe Starck designed monstrosity was an absolute horror (and, at the time, on MR, I queried whether I was alone in thinking that it was perfectly ghastly).

At the risk of derailing this thread, I will argue that while Mr Jobs was exceedingly gifted in the world of computer design, he was clueless, and blinkered, and simply out of his depth, where the design of ocean going vessels (yachts) were concerned.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes.

As a matter of fact, I am.

Not just bad, but abysmal.

That Phillippe Starck designed monstrosity was an absolute horror (and, at the time, on MR, I queried whether I was alone in thinking that it was perfectly ghastly).

At the risk of derailing this thread, I will argue that while Mr Jobs was exceedingly gifted in the world of computer design, he was clueless, and blinkered, and simply out of his depth, where the design of ocean going vessels (yachts) were concerned.

If you had to choose just one, was he worse at yacht design or cancer treatment options?

I hesitated on posting, but fuck it.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
If you had to choose just one, was he worse at yacht design or cancer treatment options?

I hesitated on posting, but fuck it.
No, I choose not to choose, but he should not be emulated or imitated on either.
the answer really depends on the intended outcome
The best possible response.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

Yoused

up
Reaction score

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I remember an especially idiotic thread (several years ago, after the death of the sainted Mr Jobs) on MR about his yacht (one twit even wrote dreamily about how "if only "Steve" was at the wheel"...), that ghastly Philippe Starck designed monstrosity.

Now, it is possible to design a beautiful yacht; anyone who ever visited (or even laid eyes on) the (tea clipper), the Cutty Sark, can see that beauty, elegant lines (and indeed, speed) are not fundamentally incompatible with designing an ocean going craft, or vessel. Or ship.

Anyway, nobody has ever accused Mr Putin of good taste.

As far as super and mega yachts go, Putin’s boat looks like a generic, off the shelf ugly monstrosity. I swear a lot of these boats designers must design them from the inside out. There is a absolutely nothing interesting about the exterior of that boat.

Jeff Bezo’s new giant sailing yacht is actually isn’t too bad looking. The hill shape is quite beautiful with the canoe style stern like on a classic Hinkley. That said, a 127m, 3 masted sailing yacht is always going to look a little ridiculous. The cynic in me thinks the sailboat idea is just to greenwash his image. I imagine such a massive, heavy, aluminum and steel hulled sailboat with an onboard swimming pool will rarely if ever actually be operating only on sail power.

Between the draft and the masts I’d imagine where you can take that yacht are quite limited.

1651885179136.jpeg

Personally, I’d be happy with this Oyster 56, made in your homeland of Britain. You could buy hundreds of these beautiful boats for the price of Bezo’s or Putin’s mega yachts.
1651885488297.jpeg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
Personally, I’d be happy with this Oyster 56, made in your homeland of Britain. You could buy hundreds of these beautiful boats for the price of Bezo’s or Putin’s mega yachts.
It depends on what you seek. In the Oyster boat, you are out on the water, whereas in a Scheherazade you are in a "high-class" villa that happens to be surrounded by water instead of land. Almost like the sailing part of it is an afterthought. A slightly different backdrop. The really wealthy do not seem interested in piddly details like that stuff out there or how to deal with it – they have people for that.

Top Bottom
1 2