Racism against Asian Americans

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
There have been thousands of attacks on Asian people since Trump’s anti-Asian remarks. It’s a serious problem. This attack is one of many, and just like the murder of George Floyd was an infamous incident that brought attention to the problem of police brutality, this attack has brought attention to the racist attacks on Asian people.

I’ve noticed that the folks most vocal about this not being racism are the same folks who don’t want mass shootings to be about guns, or want to deny systemic racism exists… etc. Just like every time there is a mass shooting by a white person, they are ALWAYS just a lone wolf with mental issues. Certainly the racist rhetoric a mentally unstable person hears vomiting forth from the gaping maws of conservative radio hate-mongers has NOTHING to do with why these people commit such acts.

To answer your question, most non-crazy people don’t ever commit murders. But it is the non-crazy people from this guy’s community and church who instilled the ideas in him that led to his choice of asian women, who HE considered as a symbol of his evil sexual desires… natural desires that the church taught him are evil. And no doubt such a conservative church is chock-full of people parroting Trump’s rhetoric every chance they get.

Yes, he will serve the time for his crime, but I believe the blatant racism of Trump being fully embraced and accepted by the white evangelical church in America is the fuel for these types of fires. There are a thousand “normal” people who say something racist to an Asian person, or make the slanted eyes gesture, or just do something dick-ish to a person just because they’re Asian… but then you get the unhinged person surrounded by those types who loses his mind and does something far worse based on that same racism.

Reddit covered some of the evidence on Trump's influence on anti-asian sentiments.
Objectives. To examine the extent to which the phrases, “COVID-19” and “Chinese virus” were associated with anti-Asian sentiments.
Methods. Data were collected from Twitter’s Application Programming Interface, which included the hashtags “#covid19” or “#chinesevirus.” We analyzed tweets from March 9 to 23, 2020, corresponding to the week before and the week after President Donald J. Trump’s tweet with the phrase, “Chinese Virus.” Our analysis focused on 1 273 141 hashtags.
Results. One fifth (19.7%) of the 495 289 hashtags with #covid19 showed anti-Asian sentiment, compared with half (50.4%) of the 777 852 hashtags with #chinesevirus. When comparing the week before March 16, 2020, to the week after, there was a significantly greater increase in anti-Asian hashtags associated with #chinesevirus compared with #covid19 (P < .001).
Conclusions. Our data provide new empirical evidence supporting recommendations to use the less- stigmatizing term “COVID-19,” instead of “Chinese virus.” (Am J Public Health. Published online ahead of print March 18, 2021:e1–e9. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306154)

Today I did something unsusual: sorted by controversial. One of the recurring controversial statements went along the lines of "the MSM narrative is that Trump's responsible for the anti-Asian violence, but it's predominantly committed by Blacks". Again these people manage to pack so many fallacies in so few words it's impressive. The most important assumption is that Trump's influence is limited to his core voter base. In reality, his toxicity had a much wider reach thanks to the presidency & Twitter.

Some tried to discredit the study by trying to suggest hashtags critical of the CCP to be counted towards anti-asian hashtags... That isn't true either, but tags like chinesecommiepigsmustpay were considered anti-asian. I mean these guys never read the studies and comment out of their asses with an assumption that science and academia have an anticonservative bias. Bless their hearts.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
There have been thousands of attacks on Asian people since Trump’s anti-Asian remarks. It’s a serious problem. This attack is one of many, and just like the murder of George Floyd was an infamous incident that brought attention to the problem of police brutality, this attack has brought attention to the racist attacks on Asian people.

I’ve noticed that the folks most vocal about this not being racism are the same folks who don’t want mass shootings to be about guns, or want to deny systemic racism exists… etc. Just like every time there is a mass shooting by a white person, they are ALWAYS just a lone wolf with mental issues. Certainly the racist rhetoric a mentally unstable person hears vomiting forth from the gaping maws of conservative radio hate-mongers has NOTHING to do with why these people commit such acts.

To answer your question, most non-crazy people don’t ever commit murders. But it is the non-crazy people from this guy’s community and church who instilled the ideas in him that led to his choice of asian women, who HE considered as a symbol of his evil sexual desires… natural desires that the church taught him are evil. And no doubt such a conservative church is chock-full of people parroting Trump’s rhetoric every chance they get.

Yes, he will serve the time for his crime, but I believe the blatant racism of Trump being fully embraced and accepted by the white evangelical church in America is the fuel for these types of fires. There are a thousand “normal” people who say something racist to an Asian person, or make the slanted eyes gesture, or just do something dick-ish to a person just because they’re Asian… but then you get the unhinged person surrounded by those types who loses his mind and does something far worse based on that same racism.

There's a school of thought, some shared in this thread, that says everything you just said doesn't matter. If the goal is to get the specific perpetrators punished, don't worry, they will be. But the whole "there's never a reason" attitude completely blows off everything you just said. So I guess for some we're just supposed to ignore all the background and indoctrination and only get outraged when a resulting action takes place. I don't see what the far reaching and long lasting solution is with that attitude, not saying that is the attitude you have.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
There's a school of thought, some shared in this thread, that says everything you just said doesn't matter. If the goal is to get the specific perpetrators punished, don't worry, they will be. But the whole "there's never a reason" attitude completely blows off everything you just said. So I guess for some we're just supposed to ignore all the background and indoctrination and only get outraged when a resulting action takes place. I don't see what the far reaching and long lasting solution is with that attitude, not saying that is the attitude you have.
Kids are taught racism, anti-semitism, etc… they don’t come by it naturally. Yes, this murderer needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But, if we don’t attack the root causes of such hate crimes, they will occur more frequently.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score

Reddit covered some of the evidence on Trump's influence on anti-asian sentiments.

Today I did something unsusual: sorted by controversial. One of the recurring controversial statements went along the lines of "the MSM narrative is that Trump's responsible for the anti-Asian violence, but it's predominantly committed by Blacks". Again these people manage to pack so many fallacies in so few words it's impressive. The most important assumption is that Trump's influence is limited to his core voter base. In reality, his toxicity had a much wider reach thanks to the presidency & Twitter.

Some tried to discredit the study by trying to suggest hashtags critical of the CCP to be counted towards anti-asian hashtags... That isn't true either, but tags like chinesecommiepigsmustpay were considered anti-asian. I mean these guys never read the studies and comment out of their asses with an assumption that science and academia have an anticonservative bias. Bless their hearts.
I am seeing that exact narrative on conservative Twitter threads and message boards. They wet themselves whenever they see a black person hurt an Asian person. To them, it’s proof that this whole white supremacy thing is an MSM witch hunt, because clearly the problem is between blacks and Asians. White people have nothing to do with it, and this killer in Georgia is a lone wolf who is a few cards short of a full deck. How convenient to that worldview - they can absolve themselves of anti-asian racism and simultaneously paint black people as savages. What a bunch of pukes they are.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am seeing that exact narrative on conservative Twitter threads and message boards. They wet themselves whenever they see a black person hurt an Asian person. To them, it’s proof that this whole white supremacy thing is an MSM witch hunt, because clearly the problem is between blacks and Asians. White people have nothing to do with it, and this killer in Georgia is a lone wolf who is a few cards short of a full deck. How convenient to that worldview - they can absolve themselves of anti-asian racism and simultaneously paint black people as savages. What a bunch of pukes they are.
My annoyance is that some of these people are THE narrative pushers. For example someone brought up violent crime proportion committed by Blacks along with the usual "just look up the FBI's related database" in these same threads. Again if you look at it you can see a bunch of things, like that race/ethnicity is missing for at least 30% of the data. If the distribution of the missing data is non-random, the actual proportions could be very skewed in either direction. So relying on this data as an irrefutable fact is frustrating... "Interestingly" they have little issue embracing uncertainty when it comes to Trump's first impeachment, but not when it comes to stats like this:)

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
My annoyance is that some of these people are THE narrative pushers. For example someone brought up violent crime proportion committed by Blacks along with the usual "just look up the FBI's related database" in these same threads. Again if you look at it you can see a bunch of things, like that race/ethnicity is missing for at least 30% of the data. If the distribution of the missing data is non-random, the actual proportions could be very skewed in either direction. So relying on this data as an irrefutable fact is frustrating... "Interestingly" they have little issue embracing uncertainty when it comes to Trump's first impeachment, but not when it comes to stats like this:)
I’ve seen the charts too… a lot of the data is for arrests… and we already know the police are biased in who they arrest…

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve seen the charts too… a lot of the data is for arrests… and we already know the police are biased in who they arrest…
To me one of the most telling things is the NYPD complaint records showing over representation of substantiated complaints from Blacks compared to Whites even if I adjust for arrest rates...

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Georgia cops detained the husband of a woman who was killed in the attack for 4 hours and treated him roughly. Not-so-coincidentally, he is Mexican. They knew he was the husband and not the killer.

I heard an older white woman at the grocery store today loudly tell her cashier (who is Asian) “Don’t go to Georgia!"

thekev

Site Champ
Reaction score
The whole thing is really absurd. This is clearly and admittedly a crime against adult women of all ages. Law based on precedent means we should be very careful about labeling things certain ways, and I think that's @Chew Toy McCoy's point. The counterpoint is, if your perpetrator shoots 9 people, 7 of which women, 6 of east asian descent, and people start defending their heinous actions as "coincidentally targeting" a very specific group, that would open a loophole for terrorists to use this defense to evade hate crime charges. And I can foresee such trend emerging if this defense flies, regardless of the underlying evidence ends up fully corroborating this notion or not.

On our end, consistency is important. I feel if a Muslim commits a crime like this, it is terrorism until proven otherwise in the public eye; except when it's a white person then it is asystematic unless proven otherwise...

It might work out better if these things were considered mainly for crime statistics rather than for prosecutorial and sentencing purposes. Otherwise, I can't imagine anyone solving reporting problems like what is suggested here. The overall female population in the US is much greater than the Asian American female population. Attempts to reclassify sex crimes would likely inspire a huge backlash. If you primarily require these things for reporting crime statistics, where co-occurrence is recordable, you don't lose this descriptiveness, in spite of an inherently weaker crime taxonomy.

Hate crimes against Asian women are almost certainly undercounted, and Ms. Zia said one reason is that those with a sexual dimension tend to be classified as sex offenses, in effect erasing the racial aspect. Stereotypes of Asian women as submissive may embolden aggressors, she said. “We’re seen as vulnerable,” she said. “You know — the object that won’t fight back.”

I had to use the thread there to name some of these people. Personally, I wouldn't focus too much on the race of the reporters. I would focus on whether they actually do significant work with any of these communities or have over the course of their careers. That to me would make a bigger difference.

Chung is interesting on this and falls into both groups. It wasn't her area for the majority of her career, but I seem to recall her taking an interest in it in more recent years (past decade or two).

Last edited:

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
They got this one, IMO hit him with a hate crime as well. This shit needs to stop, the attack was brutal and senseless.

The attack for reference

Lock him up, throw away the key. This video made me angry twice. First, this bastard sucker punching a woman, then secondly by people nonchalantly watching? WTF????? If anything that makes me more pissed. Bad people exist, you cant fix that. A community enabling shit like this while being nonchalant about this a much greater problem.

And again, I'm sad for the lady who got pummeled...I've treated postconcussive syndrome (not that we know how to treat it well). It's miserable. I have had very very smart friends who had concussions and their careers got derailed afterwards, and they've told me their cognition/motivation haven't been the same since their accidents.

Absolutely fuck that guy.

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Lock him up, throw away the key. This video made me angry twice. First, this bastard sucker punching a woman, then secondly by people nonchalantly watching? WTF????? If anything that makes me more pissed. Bad people exist, you cant fix that. A community enabling shit like this while being nonchalant about this a much greater problem.

And again, I'm sad for the lady who got pummeled...I've treated postconcussive syndrome (not that we know how to treat it well). It's miserable. I have had very very smart friends who had concussions and their careers got derailed afterwards, and they've told me their cognition/motivation haven't been the same since their accidents.

Absolutely fuck that guy.
It all happened so fast but that was absolutely unconscionable was they closed the door on her afterwards, it sounds like they're being held accountable though, as they should. This just makes you sad for humanity in general.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
It all happened so fast but that was absolutely unconscionable was they closed the door on her afterwards, it sounds like they're being held accountable though, as they should. This just makes you sad for humanity in general.
Sometimes things like that happen so fast you don’t know how to respond. I saw an episode where a homeless person starting yelling epithets at an asian woman the other day. It was completely out of left field and by the time I got over the shock of it, the woman had already moved on. I spoke my piece to the homeless person after I got over the shock. But, I felt like I could have reacted more quickly to do something. Nobody was physically hurt, but those things leave an impact in your mind.

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes things like that happen so fast you don’t know how to respond. I saw an episode where a homeless person starting yelling epithets at an asian woman the other day. It was completely out of left field and by the time I got over the shock of it, the woman had already moved on. I spoke my piece to the homeless person after I got over the shock. But, I felt like I could have reacted more quickly to do something. Nobody was physically hurt, but those things leave an impact in your mind.
Good for you for at least trying. Yeah, I don't know that they had time to react but closing the door on her afterwards is total BS, she was obviously shocked and those people turned their back on her.

Top Bottom