Reddit looking to go public as early as March

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm a pretty big fan of Reddit and hoping this doesn't take them down the road of Tumblr, like them or not they're the most real site on the internet IMO and a good example of how there can be balance when you let users determine how the site is ran.

The San Francisco-based company filed confidentially this week with U.S. regulators for an initial public offering (IPO). It is aiming for a valuation of at least $15 billion, Reuters reported in September.

Reddit co-founder and Chief Executive Steve Huffman is hoping that retail investors will play a big role in the stock market debut. "I want our users to be shareholders and I want our shareholders to be users," he told an audience at the Wall Street Journal's Tech Live conference in October.

U

User.45

I'm a pretty big fan of Reddit and hoping this doesn't take them down the road of Tumblr, like them or not they're the most real site on the internet IMO and a good example of how there can be balance when you let users determine how the site is ran.

I guarantee you it will go downhill. The platform is already too big for it's own good.

I was telling my mom about how Facebook, Amazon and Netflix (and IMDB) had truly wonderful ways to aggregate human knowledge and help you find what's best for you. Once they become profit oriented, the same thing happened each: They implemented a new AI system that is intentionally frustrating to keep interaction time up, obfuscate true aggregate information to guide you away from what you want/need to guide you towards what they want you to want, but collect as much data or more as before.

I can't see reddit having a different fate at all.

Edit: One of my favorite musician's said that the best way to learn about a musician is to observe how they deal with mistakes, and I think these AIs do just the same. I think they can extract more information about us of they observe what we do when we are frustrated and need to take extra steps to find what we need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom
1 2