Republicans in Congress and anti-Muslim bigotry

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
After 9/11, there was nationwide anti-Muslim sentiment, but Bush warned against it. When McCain ran against Obama, that anti-Muslim bigotry surfaced, and he condemned it. Then in 2016, Trump embraced it with his Muslim ban promises. So much for Republican leaders supporting freedom of religion.

And now we have members of Congress calling other members “terrorists“ simply because of their religion.

I don’t see any Republican leaders condemning Boebert for this. Why not?

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1468400325434302466/

I think it’s time for those who in the past called Obama a Muslim sympathizer or supporter of terrorists because he didn’t say the magical words “radical islamic terrorism” to come out publicly and say that targeting people for their faith is not only wrong, but deeply un-American.

It’s not funny or clever; it’s dangerous. We’ve even seen people of the Sikh faith attacked because bigoted people influenced by this rhetoric don’t know the difference.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Republicans need to get their shit together. They're letting their party get overtaken by nutcases. Everyone is just sitting around letting it happen.

In their defense this is kind of what happens when you actively court gun fanatics and then after the fact think about the possible consequences if they aren’t happy with you. At least in this case guns being used as a threat between citizens and politicians is a lot closer to the intention of the 2nd amendment than the rest of the horse shit mental gymnastics we usually hear.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Republicans need to get their shit together. They're letting their party get overtaken by nutcases. Everyone is just sitting around letting it happen.
Too late the Republican party has been hijacked by Trump, his base, and his clones. DeSantis, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert are not the outliers, they are the norm now.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Too late the Republican party has been hijacked by Trump, his base, and his clones. DeSantis, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert are not the outliers, they are the norm now.

Yup, it's only going to get crazier. We deserve everything we get when we continue to vote in people like that. This country will collapse from within one day. I hope I'm dead by then lol

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

The problem is Republicans don't offer any alternatives to Trump because their pre-Trump status quo is what got us Trump in the first place. What should their platform be, "A return to how we lied and screwed you previously."?

Just about the same thing could be said about the Democrats "A return to Clintonian policies that caused us to lose possibly our most winnable election in history."

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I also think there is an element that they either think it’s funny or no big deal. As they are most likely white they have no clue about real world consequences or experiences. You can call white people every derogatory name and stereotype in the book and it will pretty much have zero impact on them. It’s pretty fashionable to call white people evil right now but not one of us have lost an opportunity in life because it's assumed we are evil.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I also think there is an element that they either think it’s funny or no big deal. As they are most likely white they have no clue about real world consequences or experiences. You can call white people every derogatory name and stereotype in the book and it will pretty much have zero impact on them. It’s pretty fashionable to call white people evil right now but not one of us have lost an opportunity in life because it's assumed we are evil.
I know lots of white people who are not personally offended by the current discussion about 1619 project, white privilege, anti-racism, CRT, or anything similar. When white people start railing against such discussions and claim they are anti-white hate or racism, they are telling you a lot about themselves.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yup, it's only going to get crazier. We deserve everything we get when we continue to vote in people like that. This country will collapse from within one day. I hope I'm dead by then lol

But the tide is already starting to turn. Those standout BS-messaging artists in the GOP side of the House this term are definitely punching above their weight now in terms of fetching mumbles about "those ^ssholes'..." and from within the right-leaning electorate. See, those voters may not intend to vote for a Democrat, but they may indeed be starting to look around for a candidate who leaves culture war propaganda off the table and talks some down home kitchen-table issues instead.

That means there's room for Dems who also leave culture wars off the campaign trail to make some headway with potential swing voters on real issues. For example, some guy like Josh Remillard in North Carolina, who has declared himself in for a run against Madison Cawthorn.

Also, some powerful fundraisers for women in the GOP have pointedly omitted support for Boebert and Taylor Greene,,,

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know lots of white people who are not personally offended by the current discussion about 1619 project, white privilege, anti-racism, CRT, or anything similar. When white people start railing against such discussions and claim they are anti-white hate or racism, they are telling you a lot about themselves.

I wasn't talking about all white people. I was talking about the ones in the group of people who think this behavior is either funny or no big deal.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about all white people. I was talking about the ones in the group of people who think this behavior is either funny or no big deal.
I was talking about your comment “it’s fashionable to call white people evil” - which is nonsense. People are calling SOME white people evil, or pointing out the evils done by people in the past (and present). Nobody is calling all white people evil. That is the right-wing lie that’s getting people out to school board meetings, foaming at the mouth and punching others.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was talking about your comment “it’s fashionable to call white people evil” - which is nonsense. People are calling SOME white people evil, or pointing out the evils done by people in the past (and present). Nobody is calling all white people evil. That is the right-wing lie that’s getting people out to school board meetings, foaming at the mouth and punching others.

I didn't say everybody is saying white people are evil. There are many forms of saying white (or any) people are evil without saying it verbatim. At the low end of the spectrum saying they are privileged could be lumped in with that.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I didn't say everybody is saying white people are evil. There are many forms of saying white (or any) people are evil without saying it verbatim. At the low end of the spectrum saying they are privileged could be lumped in with that.
That’s just right-wing grievance. And it all springs from a truthful discussion of history. That’s what this grievance is about. We’re supposed to believe that slaves were treated well if we give in to the history books the anti-CRT movement is pushing.

Nobody is accusing good people of being evil. They are pointing out the evil done throughout history. Teaching kids about the mass murders of black people during Reconstruction or other inconvenient truths about America is NOT “telling our white kids that they are evil.” That’s what this agenda-driven far-right movement WANTS you to think.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s just right-wing grievance. And it all springs from a truthful discussion of history. That’s what this grievance is about. We’re supposed to believe that slaves were treated well if we give in to the history books the anti-CRT movement is pushing.

Nobody is accusing good people of being evil. They are pointing out the evil done throughout history. Teaching kids about the mass murders of black people during Reconstruction or other inconvenient truths about America is NOT “telling our white kids that they are evil.” That’s what this agenda-driven far-right movement WANTS you to think.

I think there is also a group of white people who are struggling economically and the last thing they want to hear is that they are in fact living a privileged life via the centuries of racism of their ancestors. It’s kind of a “now is not the time” moment in that regard to them.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think there is also a group of white people who are struggling economically and the last thing they want to hear is that they are in fact living a privileged life via the centuries of racism of their ancestors. It’s kind of a “now is not the time” moment in that regard to them.
Well, the truth hurts sometimes.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, the truth hurts sometimes.

Like I said, (some) white people can’t handle hard truths unless it has close to zero impact on them. Tell a rich white person that everything they have is due to white privilege and you’ll probably get “pppftt, whatever bro”. Tell it to a white person who is struggling to pay the bills and you’ll probably get a lot of anger and schooling on their personal reality. To their ears it’s like being told they need to go to the back of the grievance line simply because they are white. We’re focusing all our attention on “others” now.

Top Bottom
1 2