Republicans still don’t have a plan B

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
So in an attempt to stop the impeachment trial from going forward the Senate Republicans went with the “That’s some old shit, yo” legal defense. Of course it wasn’t enough to stop the trial but probably enough to show they won’t vote to impeach Trump regardless of any of the facts, including the fact they were all cowering under their desks when the rioters stormed the capitol. But that’s some old shit.

Read a right wing news source saying it is wrong to think Democrats want Trump out of the picture. They don’t. They want Trump to continue to take center stage destroying the Republican party and exposing more lunatics. Democrats already have a treasure-trove of condemnation to hurl at Trump should he choose to run again.

I think this latest action from Senate Republicans proves they still don’t have anything to sell beyond Trump and they’d rather burn the country down in his service than try to give people a sane reason to vote for them. I know a lot of attention was spent on Trump going after Democrats but he also exposed Republicans and their long history of not doing shit for their constituents. Blocking abortions and passing Jesus legislation doesn’t pay the bills. Many Trump supporters hate politicians in general, not just Democrats.

Anybody believe the Republican party can save itself at this point?

U

User.45

Nope - they will have to get tired of being in the minority... might take a decade or so.
So in an attempt to stop the impeachment trial from going forward the Senate Republicans went with the “That’s some old shit, yo” legal defense. Of course it wasn’t enough to stop the trial but probably enough to show they won’t vote to impeach Trump regardless of any of the facts, including the fact they were all cowering under their desks when the rioters stormed the capitol. But that’s some old shit.

Read a right wing news source saying it is wrong to think Democrats want Trump out of the picture. They don’t. They want Trump to continue to take center stage destroying the Republican party and exposing more lunatics. Democrats already have a treasure-trove of condemnation to hurl at Trump should he choose to run again.

I think this latest action from Senate Republicans proves they still don’t have anything to sell beyond Trump and they’d rather burn the country down in his service than try to give people a sane reason to vote for them. I know a lot of attention was spent on Trump going after Democrats but he also exposed Republicans and their long history of not doing shit for their constituents. Blocking abortions and passing Jesus legislation doesn’t pay the bills. Many Trump supporters hate politicians in general, not just Democrats.

It's not over... I'd also be very very concerned about Dems running without viable opposition. Situations like that lead to corruption very quickly no matter how "good" the people were initially.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not over... I'd also be very very concerned about Dems running without viable opposition. Situations like that lead to corruption very quickly no matter how "good" the people were initially.

I agree but it looks like the Republicans currently aren’t interested in offering a sane alternative to Democrats.

Expecting Republicans to actually pay attention to the testimony at the impeachment trial is going to be like trying to get a 6-year-old to read the heartfelt message you wrote on their birthday card. Their eyes and thoughts are going to be on everything except the testimony. They just want to rip into that gift that is their no vote.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Yeah, Mexico had the PRI party for decades and it stagnated quite badly. The Democrats, though, Will Rogers famously said, “I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat.” Their coalition might split along ideological lines, which could put us back to 1960s era politics.

The one that concerns me is the gLibertarian Party, which talks a better game than the Rs and is the strongest third party of the past few decades. If the Rs were to disintegrate, I suspect that the gLibertarians would take their place, and, in terms of meaningful policy, the difference is nearly imperceptible.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

No, they are out of step with modern times.
Nope! I hope they allow Mango to burn the party out of existence. Let's just hope Dems don't throw a lifeline.
Agreed.

To both of you- The GOP has admitted they can’t win elections without some kind of cheating, gerrymandering, voter suppression, riling idiots with wedge issues, and selling/telling lies, misdirection, deceit, and corruption. These are the qualities of representation that crawls out from under a rock when stupid, selfish, and myopic citizens send stupid idiots to Congress in overwhelming numbers in the South and in rural areas across the country, at least over half of local citizens, enough to get them elected.

This is not your daddy’s GOP that had some standards of honesty with a bit of ♥️.

I’ve come to the realization that wedge issues, racism, perceived Christian persecution and perceived white privilege in many cases trump other vital common sense issues in these peoples lives, which takes me back to stupid, religious, and racist. If there are other reasons, I’m happy to entertain them.

I can cross my fingers that a solid majority of citizens wake up and reliably remain awake, but that honestly remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2