Rioters Who Stormed Capitol Called Nancy Pelosi's Office Wanting Their Stuff Back

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
the stupidity in this is truly amazing.

Raskin told Business Insider that people were “asking whether there was a lost and found because they forgot their phone there, or they left their purse or what have you.”
The staffers answering the calls handed them off to the police, the lawmaker said, who then asked for their names, addresses and other details so they could, in Raskin’s words, “tie up those loose ends.”

More than 700 people have been charged in connection to the assault on the Capitol so far.
It might seem shocking that people who stormed the Capitol one day would have no qualms about calling the next day in search of their lost items, but Raskin said that points to former President Donald Trump’s complicity in the events of Jan. 6.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
he stupidity in this is truly amazing.

Yep. I keep wondering if human disconnection from reality was bound to happen in the wake of capitalist systems having discovered that it's possible to entice people to entertain themselves to death.

There's all this talk now of the future becoming a blend of virtual reality adventures and bricks-and-mortar endeavors. What seems to get lost in that discussion is whether we're already there, in a way, where a lot of people seem to make only loose distinctions between reality and "reality TV" or maybe even "reality as TV".

We can turn off a TV, and there's an end to our experience of a particular show. Maybe we didn't like it, or maybe we have found something more compelling to watch, something that draws us in.

But in real life we can't always just switch channels when we don't like what's happening. We're embedded in real life, we're not running that whole "show" and there's a real price that's eventually exacted from anyone thinking otherwise.

So these characters phoning up to inquire after stuff they left behind while they had participated in the 2021 incursion into the Capitol... wow. They are the sorry vanguard of how to get lost in the collision of virtual reality and human life as the latter apparently moves inexorably to a blend with the former. Looks to me like the price tags of favoring the virtual side too heavily don't seem apparent in advance.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I read that to my husband yesterday from Twitter. He claimed no one could be that stupid and it must be a joke.

did you tell him how wrong he is?

Well there could be some percentage of trolls who never even went to the Capitol but who decided to continue "the game" by harassing congressional staffers. But they may not have thought that through very well, since there can be consequences for that behavior too.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's a real shame judges don't have stupidity enhancements available during sentencing to add extra time to their prison terms.
Years ago, I recall reading an excellent book (one of many excellent books), by the wonderful writer Caitlin Moran, where the arresting phrase "illegally stupid" leapt out of the page at me, to enter my mind and memory as an unforgettable expression, one to be used (borrowed, cited, quoted) as necessary.

However, while I thought it exquisitely descriptive in a literal (and literary) sense, it may yet show some promise in a strictly legal sense.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I can't even................ 😑

The next time somebody tells you "Nobody's that stupid," point them to that article.
It’s a mix of stupidity, propaganda, and entitlement. These people feel that their whiteness and membership in the Trump club allow them to do whatever they want. After the failed insurrection, the right-wing news sources, and in fact many Republican members of Congress, have referred to it as a tourist visit. It doesn’t surprise me at all to see these people calling the lost-and-found.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It would have been great if there was a Publisher Clearing House-like film crew to capture each arrest event.

At an offender's house...Knock knock...
Mr. Smith: Uh, can I help you?
Gov. Agent: Hello Mr. Smith, I'm with the US Capitol and here to repatriate your personal property from our lost and found.
Mr. Smith: That's awesome! When can I get it?
Gov. Agent: It's in that blue van in front of your house, can you give me a hand? I've got a bum shoulder.
Mr. Smith: Sure! And thank you!

At the van...
Gov. Agent: Hold on while I open the door.
Mr. Smith: I can't wait!
Gov. Agent: If you could step inside to sign the paperwork I'll hand over your property and be on my way.
Mr. Smith: Okie dokie! Such great service!

Both step inside the van...
Gov. Agent: One small paperwork detail, here's a warrant for your arrest, please turn around, hands behind your back.

Top Bottom
1 2