RIP RIP RBG

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Oh, they'll have time to ram some right wing extremist through.

And if they do, you can pretty much guarantee that Biden will have to expand the Supreme Court, should he win.

Which is another issue. This will bring plenty of Republicans to the polls this fall. :mad:

America is in real danger.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Oh, and think about this, too. Even before they would be able to confirm someone, If Trump challenges any facet of the election (like voting by mail) and it goes to the SC, they will still have a 5-3 majority. If they God forbid have to decide something critical to the election, the game's over.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Trump is probably already making calls, I just don't see him not taking advantage of this in every way possible. They have all they need to push it through, especially since they changed the rules but they'll have to answer to the people. If Democrats win and take back the Senate, they can impeach as I understand it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any lower. How long do you think it will take before they seek to nominate? I say Tuesday.

How is your 2020 going?

Me: Fine, just fine.

Picnic-Table-Fire.jpg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Behold, three of Trump's possible nominees. A rogue's gallery of crazy:

Cruz, Cotton, Hawley headline Trump's additional 20 potential Supreme Court picks

The rest of Trump’s list includes Bridget Bade, a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron; Paul Clement, a former U.S. solicitor general; Stuart Kyle Duncan, a judge on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Steven Engel, who heads the Office of Legal Counsel at the Department of Justice; Noel Francisco, a former solicitor general; James Ho, a judge on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Gregory Katsas, a judge on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals; Barbara Lagoa, a judge on the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Christopher Landau, the U.S. ambassador to Mexico; Carlos Muñiz, a justice on the Florida Supreme Court; Martha Pacold, a judge for the Northern District of Illinois; Peter Phipps, a judge on the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Sarah Pitlyk, a judge for the Eastern District of Missouri; Allison Jones Rushing, a judge on the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Kate Todd, a deputy White House counsel; and Lawrence VanDyke, a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Cruz (R-Texas), Hawley (R-Mo.) and Cotton (R-Ark.), all of whom were vocal critics of Trump‘s high-profile Supreme Court losses this summer, join one other hardline conservative, Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, on Trump’s most recent list.

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any lower. How long do you think it will take before they seek to nominate? I say Tuesday.
Yup.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A lot of these Republicans are vulnerable this cycle, we also have to wonder if ramming this through before there's a proper funeral doesn't cost them. It's going to come across as heartless and cold, we expect it from Trump but these people will have to answer to their people.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
A lot of these Republicans are vulnerable this cycle, we also have to wonder if ramming this through before there's a proper funeral doesn't cost them. It's going to come across as heartless and cold, we expect it from Trump but these people will have to answer to their people.

They won't care, and it won't effect their chances at the polls.

Renzatic

Reaction score
One has to wonder if they can vote to change that rule as well. Just reaching, they're going to get their way here, they always do.

That would require a Constitutional Convention, which would have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

And really, it's not something you'd want to change anyway. It might be irksome now, but if the law is changed to a simple majority to enforce an removal from office, we'd be seeing every other president being kicked to the curb for the most petty of reasons.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They won't care, and it won't effect their chances at the polls.
Just listening to Toobin on this and he makes the point that there are 53 Senate Republicans and several that are vulnerable, if Democrats want to make it an issue and push it, they have room to do so. IMO you go all in here.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Just listening to Toobin on this and he makes the point that there are 53 Senate Republicans and several that are vulnerable, if Democrats want to make it an issue and push it, they have room to do so. IMO you go all in here.

We'll see what happens, though I expect we'll have a new supreme court justice on the bench within a month.

...and if Trump loses the election, he contests it, and it ends up being booted to the now conservative majority SCOTUS who decides along party lines in his favor, the fallout from that will not be pretty.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't believe I just quoted myself, but boy was I way off. It didn't even last 2 hours before Moscow Mitch said a Trump nominee would get a full senate vote.

And R’s who are in hot contests are already making statements on whether or not they’ll agree to a vote.

I think if they get the justice now and the Rs lose the house, senate, and presidency in November, we will see an expanded SCOTUS along with a lot of other changes that we’ve warned the Rs against.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Can't believe I just quoted myself, but boy was I way off. It didn't even last 2 hours before Moscow Mitch said a Trump nominee would get a full senate vote.

We should not be surprised there, I suppose... despite RGB's stated wish just before her death that she not be replaced until after a new president was installed. I admit though I expected some time to go by. What a disrespectful crew the GOP leadership of today show themselves to be.

There was a time Lindsey Graham said he'd apply the same Senate Judiciary Committee rules to any late term high court nomination as were applied to deny Merrick Garland even a hearing early in the last year of Obama's second term in office, because "the voters deserve a voice."

But both Graham and McConnell have since indicated that things are different now. Asked how they're different, McConnell said it's simply because the Senate and the White House are now controlled by the same party.

["Oh, I see."]

Could be time to fix that. And meanwhile raise a ruckus. It's insane for any US president --never mind one who is very unpopular-- to have a nomination for the high court be addressed by the Senate just a few weeks before a presidential election.

Top Bottom
1 2