Rising crime will hurt Democrats

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
People on the right seem VERY concerned about a small group of far left Democrats, all the while ignoring that their party is overrun with extremists, to the point where the more reasonable members are being taken off committees and marginalized.

Let us know when the crazies are no longer running the show in the GOP before you start fretting over the small number of people calling for defund the police on the left.

Absolutely not fretting. I want them all to call for it. It is not an election winning strategy.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The "Squad" did, but in those districts like Pelosi said "A glass of water with a D beside its name could win in that district".

This probably seems like moving the goal post, but I believe it was referring to newly elected Democrats, not incumbents. I think the experience of already being in office affords some more bold stances, and like you said, location matters.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Absolutely not fretting. I want them all to call for it. It is not an election winning strategy.
It depends quite a bit on the district. In some districts, backing the “defund” movement is definitely a winning strategy.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It depends quite a bit on the district. In some districts, backing the “defund” movement is definitely a winning strategy.

It is in a few select districts. But something tells me Cori Bush isn't going to be happy with simply defunding St. Louis. She wants to defund them all. And she gets airtime saying it.

And if you think it won't hurt the Dems, by all means embrace it. I think it is and it will.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
It is in a few select districts. But something tells me Cori Bush isn't going to be happy with simply defunding St. Louis. She wants to defund them all. And she gets airtime saying it.

And if you think it won't hurt the Dems, by all means embrace it. I think it is and it will.
The 2020 election showed otherwise. It showed that: in areas where “defund” was popular, the candidates pushing it won. Elsewhere (like the presidential election) voters believed Biden when he said he doesn’t support “defund” and doesn’t support the “green new deal.” Voters aren’t as dumb as Fox thinks... you can’t show Cori Bush and say she is the same as Joe Biden. Just like you can’t say Liz Cheney and Lauren Boebert are equivalent.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
A story in my news aggregator titled "Oakland has less than 700 officers for the first time in 6 years" popped up. I didn't even bother reading it.

A). "6 years" isn't exactly ancient history.

B). Oakland is now hugely gentrified. The most common crime is probably somebody walking into a dog-friendly vegan restaurant with a hamburger.

B2). East Palo Alto in the Bay Area is far more dangerous than Oakland and has been for quite some time. You just don't hear about it because it hasn't been made legendary by social justice riots and rap videos. It's also the closest scenic view from Facebook HQ.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Senator Tom Cotton has been talking about a “crime wave” caused by Democrats. The reality?

Cotton posits that "Democrat mayors, progressive prosecutors, and liberal governors are to blame." This claim does not hold up to scrutiny. Wyoming, a state with a Republican governor and dominated by Republican officials, had the largest spike in homicides among the 23 states that reported data, 92%. The second-largest spike in murders, 67%, was in South Dakota, which also has a Republican governor.

Cotton highlights that "murder rose 50 percent in Chicago, 44 percent in New York, and 38 percent in Los Angeles" — cities run by Democrats. But he doesn't mention that murder rates rose 62% in Ft. Worth, Texas, which has a Republican mayor. Or that Jacksonville, another city with a Republican mayor, is the "murder capital" of Florida.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m totally fed up. Now, what’s your solution?

You probably won't like it, but my solution is to start catching them and putting them in jail.

This does nothing but hurt those who can't afford to drive several miles to a different location to get needed medicine.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
SF has become a neoliberal shit hole of the highest extreme. I'd say that is hard for me to admit, but I watched it happen over time with not even a minor speedbump preventing it from happening. Like our federal government, they only seem to be interested in appeasing the affluent and rich. Everything and everybody else is an acceptable casualty.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Vaccinated
Reaction score
You probably won't like it, but my solution is to start catching them and putting them in jail.

This does nothing but hurt those who can't afford to drive several miles to a different location to get needed medicine.
I have no problem with this.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
SF has become a neoliberal shit hole of the highest extreme. I'd say that is hard for me to admit, but I watched it happen over time with not even a minor speedbump preventing it from happening. Like our federal government, they only seem to be interested in appeasing the affluent and rich. Everything and everybody else is an acceptable casualty.

Who are the affluent and rich people who want to step in human feces on the street? I do get the affluent, especially in that city where there are a lot of them, get preferential treatment, but come on.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Who are the affluent and rich people who want to step in human feces on the street? I do get the affluent, especially in that city where there are a lot of them, get preferential treatment, but come on.

It's a really sad state of affairs. And I don't want to attack all tech workers. They make a lot of money but they also work a lot of hours and the cost of living is astronomical. You can't really blame them for being mad when they have to navigate all the homeless and drug addicts and their bodily fluids every time they leave work or their housing. With their long hours soul crushing jobs it might be a bit much to also ask them to solve the vast inequality issues.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a really sad state of affairs. And I don't want to attack all tech workers. They make a lot of money but they also work a lot of hours and the cost of living is astronomical. You can't really blame them for being mad when they have to navigate all the homeless and drug addicts and their bodily fluids every time they leave work or their housing. With their long hours soul crushing jobs it might be a bit much to also ask them to solve the vast inequality issues.

Which is why Tesla won't have any trouble finding tech workers in Austin. I know this is the subject of another thread, but in it someone posted something about "good luck finding engineers in TX", but if you can tolerate the heat (it is quite hot and humid), Austin is a great place to live. The workers will follow.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I visited SF when I was 17 and I really loved it. Beautiful city, nice weather. Couldn't get to love SoCal but SF touched me. Then 15 years later I visited again with my wife and boy, used needles, high people drug dealers down the corner. We've been taking public transport and/or walking in America's nominally roughest cities, but SF was the only place where I would not let my wife walk around alone. It was also incredibly dirty. That trip made me realize how amazingly clean Chicago's downtown is.

Last edited:

TBL

Power User
Reaction score
SF's situation is very depressing. It deserves much of the negative attention it gets. There are many factors contributing to its downfall (and I say "downfall" with some exaggeration; it shows no sign of declining like Detroit or Baltimore any time soon) but I think the biggest factor is cost of living. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out that there would be fewer homeless people if the city were more affordable. Shy of a significant change in the cost of living (which doesn't seem to be coming any time soon), this is just going to be an ongoing problem.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
SF's situation is very depressing. It deserves much of the negative attention it gets. There are many factors contributing to its downfall (and I say "downfall" with some exaggeration; it shows no sign of declining like Detroit or Baltimore any time soon) but I think the biggest factor is cost of living. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out that there would be fewer homeless people if the city were more affordable. Shy of a significant change in the cost of living (which doesn't seem to be coming any time soon), this is just going to be an ongoing problem.
Ironically, I felt safer downtown in both cities you mentioned above.
Another factor is the weather though. Lot's of homeless migrate to Cali because it never freezes there.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score

At what point are people going to get totally fed up with this?
I decided to read a bit further. Some interesting tidbits:

Walgreens disclosed in an August 2019 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it would be closing 200 locations in the United States as part of a cost-savings initiative.

Hmm… maybe they closed because the police refused to arrest the shoplifters? Whoops… maybe not…

On June 19, the San Francisco Police Department said that it had arrested the man in the shoplifting video that was recorded at the Walgreens location on Gough Street. Investigators said that they connected the man, Jean Lugo-Romero, 40, to a string of thefts from merchants in the Northern and Mission districts.

Mr. Lugo-Romero faces robbery and burglary charges in connection with five separate occasions in which he targeted the Walgreens store on Gough Street, including on four consecutive days in late May and early June, the authorities said.

Seems possible that losses due to theft are an excuse for closures that were previously planned in order to cut costs. Where I live, some Walgreens closed and were quickly replaced by Wawa stores instead.

But sure, it’s easy to ignore the details and just blame Democrats for supposedly being lax on crime. I’m not saying that is or isn’t a factor, but there’s much more going on here.

Top Bottom