OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

I decided to read a bit further. Some interesting tidbits:

Hmm… maybe they closed because the police refused to arrest the shoplifters? Whoops… maybe not…

Seems possible that losses due to theft are an excuse for closures that were previously planned in order to cut costs. Where I live, some Walgreens closed and were quickly replaced by Wawa stores instead.

But sure, it’s easy to ignore the details and just blame Democrats for supposedly being lax on crime. I’m not saying that is or isn’t a factor, but there’s much more going on here.

I originally was going to post something similar but that story was many months ago. The article posted above is from this week. So who knows. Maybe these specific stores weren’t part of the planned closures that had nothing to do with theft.

TBL

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, I do think there is more going on here and those with the agenda of "we need more police and incarcerations" are definitely pouncing on these SF stories. That said, I do think there is some laxity in going after property crime in SF and it is contributing to a lower quality of life.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

I decided to read a bit further. Some interesting tidbits:

Hmm… maybe they closed because the police refused to arrest the shoplifters? Whoops… maybe not…

Seems possible that losses due to theft are an excuse for closures that were previously planned in order to cut costs. Where I live, some Walgreens closed and were quickly replaced by Wawa stores instead.

But sure, it’s easy to ignore the details and just blame Democrats for supposedly being lax on crime. I’m not saying that is or isn’t a factor, but there’s much more going on here.

All that may be true, but my initial link was from the local paper, not some right-wing source that would be dismissed out of hand.

SF's situation is very depressing. It deserves much of the negative attention it gets. There are many factors contributing to its downfall (and I say "downfall" with some exaggeration; it shows no sign of declining like Detroit or Baltimore any time soon) but I think the biggest factor is cost of living. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out that there would be fewer homeless people if the city were more affordable. Shy of a significant change in the cost of living (which doesn't seem to be coming any time soon), this is just going to be an ongoing problem.

Not sure how accurate their survey is, but with more and more people being able to work remotely, there will be some who do leave. Not familiar with the bay area, but are there smaller cities where people can live affordably, yet be close enough to run into the city for a day of shopping or an evening of entertainment.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
All that may be true, but my initial link was from the local paper, not some right-wing source that would be dismissed out of hand.
Some of the quotes I posted from the more in-depth NYT article were also in your article, which I thought was a decent article... but I just wanted something with a bit more context.

1. They arrested the guy who was the biggest problem
2. Walgreens already had a plan in 2019 to shut a couple hundred stores

These seem like very important details to me when considering the reason(s) why the stores are actually closing.

TBL

Power User
Reaction score
Well, I'm part of that 53% who wants to leave and likely will be leaving next year.

Yes, there are communities outside of the Bay that are more affordable, like Fairfield, Vacaville, Tracy, Stockton, Hollister...but you're looking at a very long commute if you do have to work in the Bay and some of those places are only marginally more affordable and still expensive by nationwide standards.

I'm just tired of living in a place where $100,000 a year is considered "low income". I'm over it. Lol

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Well, I'm part of that 53% who wants to leave and likely will be leaving next year.

Yes, there are communities outside of the Bay that are more affordable, like Fairfield, Vacaville, Tracy, Stockton, Hollister...but you're looking at a very long commute if you do have to work in the Bay and some of those places are only marginally more affordable and still expensive by nationwide standards.

I'm just tired of living in a place where $100,000 a year is considered "low income". I'm over it. Lol
Yeah, if you aren't grandfathered in somehow you'll need a median income of $350K just to afford a basic home anywhere around the city. It's a shame, I love it there, was born and raised and am there all the time but there is no way I could ever afford to live there again, even with (what I consider to be) a great salary.

It would help if they had room to build though, they've taken up every little bit of land in the area and have made building on empty land nearly impossible because of all the regulations. So while I love it there, I get it when I hear people want to leave.

In fact, we rented there for a year and getting a UHAUL when we bought in the central valley was nearly impossible because there's been a mass exodus from the area and there are so few trucks available. I had to rent one without AC on a 106 degree day when we moved. 🥵

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

Yeah, if you aren't grandfathered in somehow you'll need a median income of $350K just to afford a basic home anywhere around the city. It's a shame, I love it there, was born and raised and am there all the time but there is no way I could ever afford to live there again, even with (what I consider to be) a great salary.

It would help if they had room to build though, they've taken up every little bit of land in the area and have made building on empty land nearly impossible because of all the regulations. So while I love it there, I get it when I hear people want to leave.

In fact, we rented there for a year and getting a UHAUL when we bought in the central valley was nearly impossible because there's been a mass exodus from the area and there are so few trucks available. I had to rent one without AC on a 106 degree day when we moved. 🥵

I have friends who went to Berkeley and after hearing their stories I quickly crossed UCSF off my list for fellowships. My friends' (semi)joke is that even attending physicians have a roommate in SF. Another friend from residency did go there and they struggled after their child was born.

So yeah the Bay Area is nice, but there are plenty of nicer places in the world that cost way less.

TBL

Power User
Reaction score
That, combined with worsening drought and wildfires has just made me want to move to greener pastures. I'm ready for something new.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I have friends who went to Berkeley and after hearing their stories I quickly crossed UCSF off my list for fellowships. My friends' (semi)joke is that even attending physicians have a roommate in SF. Another friend from residency did go there and they struggled after their child was born.

So yeah the Bay Area is nice, but there are plenty of nicer places in the world that cost way less.
Well, CA does have a lot of other more affordable places to live as well. I don't think it's as black as white as it seems with the article talking about people "leaving the state", people are just leaving the cities to different areas of the state where they allow building of nice, new neighborhoods.

My area is a good example, they're building 11,000 new homes and nearly everyone here is from the Bay Area. Prices are comparable with other areas in the country and one of the huge benefits of CA is all the infrastructure, so it's a trade off but at least I can still travel to the city any time without too much of a hassle and live like a normal non-kajillionaire.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, CA does have a lot of other more affordable places to live as well. I don't think it's as black as white as it seems with the article talking about people "leaving the state", people are just leaving the cities to different areas of the state where they allow building of nice, new neighborhoods.

My area is a good example, they're building 11,000 new homes and nearly everyone here is from the Bay Area. Prices are comparable with other areas in the country and one of the huge benefits of CA is all the infrastructure, so it's a trade off but at least I can still travel to the city any time without too much of a hassle and live like a normal non-kajillionaire.
I absolutely despise Cali traffic, but then DC traffic is the same without the vistas.

Top Bottom