Rock’n Roll is Dead, Long Live Rock!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
2022- Do you feel good if you got the chance to grow up or live during the Golden Era of Rock? I certainly do.

• In the 1990s as my son listened to Rammstein, I asked him he if thought he’d be listening to that in 10 years? He was’nt.​

Not a bad presentation if you like Metal. :)

• In the mid 1990s a Beatles Anthology was released and became the number one seller in the USA among young teens/high school students.
  • Today I heard on NPR that the number one song recently on TikTok was Put Your Head On My Shoulder (1959) and Elvis is big.

I’m open to the idea of new and exciting Music. If you look at the 1950s is was quite a revolutionary break from the big band sound to Rock’ Roll. My feeling is that today there are too many synthesized lead voices that all sound alike, that the Rock genre has been abandoned, and even Pop music has taken a dive as compared to the 1950-approx 1980s. Most restaurants today even those that cater to young adults are reported to be piping in rock‘n roll, because there is nothing new that is worth a damn. :unsure:

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’m open to the idea of new and exciting Music. If you look at the 1950s is was quite a revolutionary break from the big band sound to Rock’ Roll. My feeling is that today there are too many synthesized lead voices that all sound alike, that the Rock genre has been abandoned, and even Pop music has taken a dive as compared to the 1950-approx 1980s. Most restaurants today even those that cater to young adults are reported to be piping in rock‘n roll, because there is nothing new that is worth a damn. :unsure:

There is amazing new[er] music, you just have to listen in the right places, be willing to explore genres that might be outside your comfort zone, etc.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is amazing new[er] music, you just have to listen in the right places, be willing to explore genres that might be outside your comfort zone, etc.
It should be as easy as turning on the radio. :)

I do like Smashmouth

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It should be as easy as turning on the radio. :)

It's not hard, if terrestrial radio is your only source, sure, flipping on WYUK the local Top 40 local station, probably isn't going to offer anything interesting.

Maybe turn on a college station, or XM and listen to a new music show, or Apple radio and any of their new music channels, or YouTube and the same, or hitup Pitchfork and listen to their Best New Tracks.

(there's tons of free sources, including 1000s of internet radio stations)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not hard, if terrestrial radio is your only source, sure, flipping on WYUK the local Top 40 local station, probably isn't going to offer anything interesting.

Maybe turn on a college station, or XM and listen to a new music show, or Apple radio and any of their new music channels, or YouTube and the same, or hitup Pitchfork and listen to their Best New Tracks.

(there's tons of free sources, including 1000s of internet radio stations)
The thing is we don’t listen to music at home anymore, nothing that me or the spouse dictated, just evolved to. I used to have an expensive setup just for this purpose, but now it’s oh 30+ years old and gathering dust in storage. My number one chance of finding something is in the car where I have the radio on, and besides listening to the Classic Rock or “Sunny” Station ever so often I use the seek function, cycling through the spectrum of what is offered FM and usually there is nothing that sounds better than 40-50 year Rock’n Roll. 😢

We also have SiriusXM in our traveling vehicle. Do you have any suggestions for channels?

It might sound self delusional, but I remember when cars just had an AM band on the radio, and in college I prided myself on discovering and appreciating FM as a unique music source. That’s where I first heard:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m going to admit that when My son was listening to Rammstein in the 1990s, I gave them a serious shot at trying to like them but their lyrics in German were harsh and their songs were too dark for me. Then I listened to the performance at Madison Square Garden, video I linked, and was impressived with the music and overall presentation, but the lyrics are so dark, I’d rather not know them. ;) Deutschland, 2019, seems to be the same trend. :)

Ich tu dir weh (I Hurt You)​

Versions: #1#2#3
You live only for me
I stick medals into your face
You are entirely devoted to me
You love me because I don't love you

You bleed for my salvation
A little cut and you're turned on
The body already completely disfigured
It doesn't matter, whatever pleases is allowed

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

With you I have the choice of torment
Barbed wire in the urethral tract
Throw your flesh in salt and pus
At first you die, but then you live more

Bites, kicks, hard blows
Needles, pliers, a blunt saw
What you wish, I don't say no
And insert rodents into you

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

You are the ship, I'm the captain
Where should this journey go?
I see your face in the mirror

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/ich-tu-dir-weh-i-hurt-you.html

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m going to admit that when My son was listening to Rammstein in the 1990s, I gave them a serious shot at trying to like them but their lyrics in German were harsh and their songs were too dark for me. Then I listened to the performance at Madison Square Garden, video I linked, and was impressived with the music and overall presentation, but the lyrics are so dark, I’d rather not know them. ;) Deutschland, 2019, seems to be the same trend. :)

Ich tu dir weh (I Hurt You)​

Versions: #1#2#3
You live only for me
I stick medals into your face
You are entirely devoted to me

You bleed for my salvation
A little cut and you're turned on
The body already completely disfigured
It doesn't matter, whatever pleases is allowed

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

With you I have the choice of torment
Barbed wire in the urethral tract
Throw your flesh in salt and pus
At first you die, but then you live more

Bites, kicks, hard blows
Needles, pliers, a blunt saw
What you wish, I don't say no
And insert rodents into you

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

You are the ship, I'm the captain
Where should this journey go?
I see your face in the mirror

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/ich-tu-dir-weh-i-hurt-you.html

Big Rammstein fan. My first introduction to them was as an opening band at a mid sized local club. Hard to imagine that now given the scope of their live performances now, but I do remember their stage presence at the club show being an attraction. I was in the Goth scene back then, so they weren't too far out of my wheelhouse. Previous to that period in my life I was in the metal scene. So it was a good blending of both worlds for me.

As far as lyrical content, I've never really paid attention to lyrics much. To my ears the human voice is just another instrument that can elevate a song just by the melody and tonality regardless of the words. A better example of this is probably the use of primitive tribe vocals. You may or may not like it but most people aren't going to say they don't like it specifically because they can't understand the words or don't agree with the message.

On the general topic, since Neil Young's Spotify thing it's come out that a lot of equity firms are buying the catalogs of long established artists, including Neil. Studies have come out that a lot of new music just isn't getting listened to. The money is in legacy artists. Personally, I don't think it's because new music isn't good, there is plenty I like across most genres. I think the issue is there is just too much of it, especially as the corporate music industry is no longer the gatekeeper. A bedroom producer has just as much opportunity to be heard now.

Another related issue for me is there are a lot of artists just releasing singles. So while I might want to explore their catalog further, there just isn't that much of it or I have to take more of an active role in the listening experience. It's like if you had to change a radio station every 2 songs to explore an artist's catalog. Much easier to just fall back on another artist whose large catalog you know and enjoy. This is what the study suggests.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We also have SiriusXM in our traveling vehicle. Do you have any suggestions for channels?

With S/XM we usually just listen to something like Lithium, 90s rock/grunge, and that run of that group of stations, it's like Lithium / Indie / Alternative, shows on those channels, like anything hosted by Tom Morello usually turns up some good stuff. Though it's more like traditional radio where they do a fixed playlist for X time, that's why I like services like Apple Music or heck, even YouTube, you can explore on your own.

BTW, not sure if you know this, but if you have an S/XM subscription in your car, you can setup an online account and listen through the web or use the iOS app!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that I've established I'm a Rammstein fan, I just want to say this is one of the best songs ever written and I will storm the capital if anybody disagrees. This is considered rock in some circles.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn

Like I just did a search on YT for "indie music feb 2022", and got this:

With a nice playlist in the video description.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Now that I've established I'm a Rammstein fan, I just want to say this is one of the best songs ever written and I will storm the capital if anybody disagrees. This is considered rock in some circles.

Yeah, that was a great pop tune, Level 42 are a pretty killer jazz/funk band ...

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
When people say something like they don’t make good music anymore I roll my eyes. It’s everywhere but you often need to seek it. I’m very quick to Shazam something from a TV show or film, probably 7-10 songs a month that way.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When people say something like they don’t make good music anymore I roll my eyes. It’s everywhere but you often need to seek it. I’m very quick to Shazam something from a TV show or film, probably 7-10 songs a month that way.
That really is my point as to why Rock is dead, if you have to seek it out, there is something seriously wrong with the music industry today. At the local Lifetime Fitness they play mostly energized “modern music” for working out, and it sucks mostly. No wonder our youth seems to be seeking out the good stuff from multiple decades ago. As I said, this started happening as early as the 90s after the warmth of Rock’n Roll started to fade.

Yeah, that was a great pop tune, Level 42 are a pretty killer jazz/funk band ...

That’s a fantastic song. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That really is my point as to why Rock is dead, if you have to seek it out, there is something seriously wrong with the music industry today.

I'd suggest there's not anything really wrong, it's just that the quantity of music has greatly increased and become way more diversified, so you need more options, better ways to explore.

Heck, even I sort of remember the days of radio being: a rock station, a country station and a talk station. Now with rock you can have classic hard rock, classic prog rock, metal, thrash, emo, punk, indie folk ... etc.

I mean, check out the current Apple stations by genre:

1644425180059.png

Look at this! 18,605 free internet radio stations, look at the diversity!

1644425297580.png

I clicked on Metal in the tag cloud, and picked a station and I'm getting this! Hahaha, holy shit, talk about topical :D

1644425453811.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn

Try some Spoon, I thought of them because, 1) they just released a new album this past week, titled Lucifer on the Sofa (which is very good, and their 10th), and 2) while they have some range and diversity, I think their general through line of style would appeal to you :) Despite the album name, they're not like some kind of metal, they're Indie Rock.

(Off the new album: On the Radio, the Devil and Mister Jones, Feels Alright are terrific), two other albums even more recommended, They Want My Soul and Gimme Fiction.

A review of the new album that might frame the band a little better:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd suggest there's not anything really wrong, it's just that the quantity of music has greatly increased and become way more diversified, so you need more options, better ways to explore.

Heck, even I sort of remember the days of radio being: a rock station, a country station and a talk station. Now with rock you can have classic hard rock, classic prog rock, metal, thrash, emo, punk, indie folk ... etc.

I mean, check out the current Apple stations by genre:

View attachment 11623

Look at this! 18,605 free internet radio stations, look at the diversity!

View attachment 11625

I clicked on Metal in the tag cloud, and picked a station and I'm getting this! Hahaha, holy shit, talk about topical :D

View attachment 11627
I‘m using my radio as a gage and I live in Houston Texas. :oops::LOL:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I realize this isn't the Rammstein appriciation thread but I'm just going to put this here for some perspective.

This was really interesting. My preconceived notion is that these people would throw their headsets off in disgust, but they were interested, some even moving a little with the energy. :)

A stage presentation presence

A769F859-18C8-4D08-9925-3D751E55FE4A.jpeg

Du hast​

Versions: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8
You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked
You have asked
You have asked me
You have asked me
You have asked me and I have said nothing

Do you want to be faithful for eternity
Until death parts you?

No!
No!

Until death parts you?

No!
No!

You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked

You
You have
You have asked
You have asked
You have asked me
You have asked me
You have asked me and I have said nothing

Until death parts you?

No!
No!

Do you want to love her even in bad days
Unto the death of the vagina?

No!
No!
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/du-hast-du-hast.html

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
@Huntn

Try some Spoon, I thought of them because, 1) they just released a new album this past week, titled Lucifer on the Sofa (which is very good, and their 10th), and 2) while they have some range and diversity, I think their general through line of style would appeal to you :) Despite the album name, they're not like some kind of metal, they're Indie Rock.

(Off the new album: On the Radio, the Devil and Mister Jones, Feels Alright are terrific), two other albums even more recommended, They Want My Soul and Gimme Fiction.

A review of the new album that might frame the band a little better:

There is no spoon.

Top Bottom
1 2