Rumor: Apple/Rivian partnership

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Rumors like this float around all the time and nothing comes of them. But I could see where Rivian could use the cash infusion, and there seems to be a fit here - Rivians appear to be excellent cars, with a lot of attention to detail - and no carplay. Would love it if Apple got involved.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Rumors like this float around all the time and nothing comes of them. But I could see where Rivian could use the cash infusion, and there seems to be a fit here - Rivians appear to be excellent cars, with a lot of attention to detail - and no carplay. Would love it if Apple got involved.

That would be interesting. I imagine Apple had developed a nice suite of tech while working on their car over the years. Perhaps some would migrate to Rivian.

I still wonder what the US EV market will look like, say, in five to ten years. With 300 - 500 current Chinese EV manufacturers (a crazy number), if just 5% - 10% of them manage to export EVs into the US and are priced significantly less, I suspect that would cause quite a stir in the market.

EDIT: After poking around more on the web, that 300-500 number over the last few years was down to around 100 in 2023,

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

My first thought was "finally, Apple Carplay" then I kept reading. :mad: Can't understand why so many are opposed to it, seems to be shooting themselves in the foot when you consider how many Apple users are out there. Same goes for Android Auto.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
My first thought was "finally, Apple Carplay" then I kept reading. :mad: Can't understand why so many are opposed to it, seems to be shooting themselves in the foot when you consider how many Apple users are out there. Same goes for Android Auto.
How are EV road trips with CarPlay?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

The problem is that while Apple has done work to integrate EV routing into CarPlay, it requires a car that supports sending it SoC data to enable the functionality. The only EV I’m aware of that did the work to do this is the Mach-E. :|

ABRP’s CarPlay app is… passable. Although the last time I used it, it glitched and hung during a drive.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Not an EV... But on my wife's hybrid, it's great. It's like having all you can eat music in any genre (or group), for as long as you want. Plus all the usual stuff ( Apple Maps/navigation, Messages, 360 degree top down view around the car, etc, etc.)

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
The problem is that while Apple has done work to integrate EV routing into CarPlay, it requires a car that supports sending it SoC data to enable the functionality. The only EV I’m aware of that did the work to do this is the Mach-E. :|

ABRP’s CarPlay app is… passable. Although the last time I used it, it glitched and hung during a drive.
Do you happen to know if it triggers preconditioning before getting to a charging stall? Seems like automakers would have to receive that info from the phone to improve charging speeds.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not an EV... But on my wife's hybrid, it's great. It's like having all you can eat music in any genre (or group), for as long as you want. Plus all the usual stuff ( Apple Maps/navigation, Messages, 360 degree top down view around the car, etc, etc.)
I get for gas vehicle owners CP is great, but I was more interested in how well it works in an EV due to all the integration the infotainment (typically) has with the rest of the vehicle.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if it triggers preconditioning before getting to a charging stall? Seems like automakers would have to receive that info from the phone to improve charging speeds.

Not a clue. I don’t have the one EV that supports giving CarPlay the data, and neither Apple nor Ford talk about what all is available beyond including chargers on the route with Apple Maps (even when planning routes away from the car).

I suspect not.

That said, I wonder how often you are going on long trips, or if you would be dependent on DCFC for most of your charging?

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not a clue. I don’t have the one EV that supports giving CarPlay the data, and neither Apple nor Ford talk about what all is available beyond including chargers on the route with Apple Maps (even when planning routes away from the car).

I suspect not.

That said, I wonder how often you are going on long trips, or if you would be dependent on DCFC for most of your charging?
Me? Not often at all these days. Though when I did get my 3 I drove to Orlando to for work reasons (and to prove to my self that is was possible to do so without relying on plugshare or a better route planner). I think the last time I DCFC was coming back from my cousins house in Richmond last year. I probably could have made it home without stopping but why tempt fate, lol.

On the flip side I know someone whose parent bought a Bolt and tried driving from NC to PA without using a trip planner for charging (they just got the vehicle) and almost screwed themselves. I don't remember if it was the updated Bolt (with the EUV twin) or the one that you had no choice but to use CarPlay cause it had no navigation system.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Me? Not often at all these days. Though when I did get my 3 I drove to Orlando to for work reasons (and to prove to my self that is was possible to do so without relying on plugshare or a better route planner). I think the last time I DCFC was coming back from my cousins house in Richmond last year. I probably could have made it home without stopping but why tempt fate, lol.

Yeah, I mostly ask because of how conditional it is. I’ve yet to use preconditioning in my EV that supports it, mostly because when we road trip is when we don’t need it. I just don’t have good data in winter because our trips tend to be under 150-160mi round trip which the home 240V EVSE has no issues keeping up with.

But I also tend to be someone wishing I could just get a couple more minutes to deal with bathrooms and food before I have to move my car when we do road trip. The eGMP platform tends to pull quite a bit of power surprisingly late into the pack.

On the flip side I know someone whose parent bought a Bolt and tried driving from NC to PA without using a trip planner for charging (they just got the vehicle) and almost screwed themselves. I don't remember if it was the updated Bolt (with the EUV twin) or the one that you had no choice but to use CarPlay cause it had no navigation system.

That’s no fun.

Top Bottom
1 2