Rural Californians freaking out over mask mandate and curfew

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Since California issued a statewide mask mandate and a 10:00 curfew all of the rural counties are freaking out. All of the right wing sheriff's have posted notices that they will not enforce it and not to even bother calling. Last night there were protests with people taking to the streets in large gatherings without masks after 10:00 because you know, spreading the virus is a great way to stick it to the Libs.

Nextdoor is filled with complaints and anger over such basic steps to prevent the spread, many are seniors as well who apparently choose risking death over wearing masks when they are around others. This is why we'll never get a handle on this virus without the vaccine and those willing to take it.

BTW everyone you see in San Francisco county (the city itself) wears a mask and it has a positivity rate of 1.8% which is unheard of anywhere else right now. Masks can and do work for a society that chooses to use them. I always feel safer there than I do the rural areas where you see about half and half.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had this conversation with my husband’s crazy conspiracy-theorist niece yesterday. She said something about shutting down the world and using Draconian measures. Obviously just something she heard somewhere, because I’m sure “draconian” is not in her lexicon. So I pointed out that a) the world has not been shut down, b) the US has definitely not shut down - hence the rising numbers, and c) the one place that did shut down completely - New Zealand - has ZERO Covid. I’ll wait until she’s handed a response to that so she can copy/paste it.

Meanwhile, her sister told me not to try to argue with her cause she’s batshit crazy.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I had this conversation with my husband’s crazy conspiracy-theorist niece yesterday. She said something about shutting down the world and using Draconian measures. Obviously just something she heard somewhere, because I’m sure “draconian” is not in her lexicon. So I pointed out that a) the world has not been shut down, b) the US has definitely not shut down - hence the rising numbers, and c) the one place that did shut down completely - New Zealand - has ZERO Covid. I’ll wait until she’s handed a response to that so she can copy/paste it.

Meanwhile, her sister told me not to try to argue with her cause she’s batshit crazy.

Ah, yes.

I do remember that feeling of "draconian is not in his or her lexicon" when grading student papers.

Sometimes, a word - or phrase - that was so different from everything else that student wrote (or said) would miraculously appear in an essay, awkwardly placed in a sentence where it leapt out at you, like a badly fitted window or door joint.

And that is when one would hastily consult the source material cited (if it had been cited) or glance at their text book, which might offer some clues as to the origin of the offending verb, or borrowed phrase.

Last edited:

dogslobber

Power User
Reaction score

It is what you're exposed to all day, every day, around you. I recall talking to my cousin who lives in Surrey in England and she was telling me they're all pro-Brexit there, and so is she. It's group think and you'll be ostracized if you step out of the conformance.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It is what you're exposed to all day, every day, around you. I recall talking to my cousin who lives in Surrey in England and she was telling me they're all pro-Brexit there, and so is she. It's group think and you'll be ostracized if you step out of the conformance.

Interestingly, that is starting to break down around here in the absence of more usual community gatherings. You still know who comes from which political views, to be sure. But the actual references are more individualized recently. Not sure if people-to-people points are shifting in the local grapevine, or people just have more time on their hands to prowl around social media for more information. Not saying any red v blue outlooks have changed, just it's not as obvious now who went to the most recent pancake breakfast fundraiser for a firehall or church roof repair fund. Past 20 years or so those gatherings tended to divide up the way a political caucus does in Iowa!

Top Bottom
1 2