Russia-Ukraine

D

Deleted member 215

Gee, the referendum results are starting to pour in and almost 100% of voters support joining Russia. :rolleyes:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Gee, the referendum results are starting to pour in and almost 100% of voters support joining Russia. :rolleyes:

Yeah, gee... what a surprise. Vote yes or eat ammo from an assault weapon...

So once "everyone" in those areas has voted to join the Russian Federation, I guess Putin will sign formal annexation papers, proclaim "mission accomplished," cancel the mobilization, pull troops out and declare to Zelensky something like "We'll be back to reorganize a proper government in the spring, please clean up the mess meanwhile." ???

It's just mind boggling that Putin thinks he can just do this in a 21st century world. Amazing for him to figure that a sovereign Ukrainian central government has no say over the value of a phony and illegal referendum forced upon its citizens by a maurading neighbor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's now being put out there that Putin could cut Europe's undersea internet and communications lines that would cause a catastrophe. Nobody seems to know how to protect this from happening or how to counter it, but I'm sure at minimum and in the immediate it will involve more tax cuts for the rich. That pretty much solves everything.

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
It's now being put out there that Putin could cut Europe's undersea internet and communications lines that would cause a catastrophe. Nobody seems to know how to protect this from happening or how to counter it, but I'm sure at minimum and in the immediate it will involve more tax cuts for the rich. That pretty much solves everything.
This is all pretending that we don’t have monitoring capabilities for submarines and the like on critical infrastructure of course.

They want us to believe that they needed trillions after 9/11 for these exact things…and didn’t do it?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
`
This is all pretending that we don’t have monitoring capabilities for submarines and the like on critical infrastructure of course.

They want us to believe that they needed trillions after 9/11 for these exact things…and didn’t do it?

defending against terrorists is a very different thing from defending against a nation-state.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Meanwhile whatever Putin is or is not doing underwater and offshore, his ratings are apparently underwater right there at home. A Washington Post piece has maps and videos of where dozens of protests and attacks on recruitment centers have erupted in large cities as well as more rural areas.

Russians rebel as Putin drafts more people in battle for Ukraine WaPo, paywall removed

Attempts at exodus continued, with unusual traffic jams observed in routes towards Mongolia and Kazakhstan.

Satellite imagery captured by Maxar Technologies on Friday showed a line of vehicles nearly a half-mile long waiting to cross from the Russian republic of Buryatia into Mongolia.
“There are definitely more vehicles trying to leave,” Wood said. Images from Aug. 15, which he said were typical of traffic volumes before the mobilization, contained only a handful of trucks on the Russian side of the border.

Satellite imagery taken in the week since Russia’s announcement also indicated extensive delays at several land crossings into Kazakhstan.

Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev estimated Tuesday some 98,000 Russians had entered the country since Sept. 21. “Most of them are forced to leave because of the current hopeless situation,” he said in a speech. “We must take care of them and ensure their safety.”

Some near neighbors to Russia had earlier already closed their borders to would-be immigrants from Russia, with others lengthening the time for processing visa requests, but some making exceptions for "dissidents."

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I was looking at a map of the front east of the Dneiper when a name jumped out at me as odd. A town a ways north of Donetsk named "Нью-Йорк", which is not a typical way to write words in Cyrillic. It is a transliteration of a foreign name. And it all became clear to me, why Vlad is so intent upon gaining control of the Donbas: he wants the prestige of being able to rule over New-York. Sadly for him, Нью-Йорк is across the front lines, just out of reach.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

Look up operation Ivy Bells. From 1971 to 1981 we tapped an undersea cable off the western coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula used for Soviet military communications. This was done without the Russians knowing anything despite being right under their noses and without the wire being physically cut. And it required regular changing of recording tapes. The operation was only compromised due to an idiot in the pentagon selling secrets to the Soviets for a negligible amount of money.

It’ll be interesting to see what will happen with this Nordstream pipeline explosion. There’s reasonable explanations for almost everyone involved (Russians, Ukrainians, Americans, the Baltic nations, etc) to have done this. What everyone seems to agree on was it was sabotage. I do find strange how quiet the US has been on this. I’m curious see what the investigations will yield once the gas stops flowing.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
it seems Russia has a nice long history of turning their citizens into forced cannon fodder ending in disaster. The possible exceptions are the 2 world wars but they also didn’t fight those alone and it was still after a massive body count of thier own people. Along with that has been a history of way overestimating their power from the world and themselves. Drunken rebellion and soldiers also seems to be a historical constant. The nuclear threat is probably the only thing keeping them afloat. I feel bad for the citizens who have only had a short blip in history of not living with this shit.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Easy peasey, as their military seems to be weakened, people are fleeing the country, protests in their own streets, Russia claims new Ukrainian territory, says they will defend it with Nukes… :mad:
How will the screw turn?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Easy peasey, as their military seems to be weakened, people are fleeing the country, protests in their own streets, Russia claims new Ukrainian territory, says they will defend it with Nukes… :mad:
How will the screw turn?

Full protection of the newly annexed territories is on par with the absurdity that the US isn't engaged in the war simply because Americans aren't pulling the triggers on American weapons. The loopholes available to the rich and powerful are endless while the majority of the populace sits around with their thumb up their ass waiting for the economic or military bomb to drop on their head.

But I don't entirely blame the general population for not rising up because they know before they can get to the puppet masters they'd first have to break through the defensive line of morons who think foreigners and gays are the real problem.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Full protection of the newly annexed territories is on par with the absurdity that the US isn't engaged in the war simply because Americans aren't pulling the triggers on American weapons. The loopholes available to the rich and powerful are endless while the majority of the populace sits around with their thumb up their ass waiting for the economic or military bomb to drop on their head.

But I don't entirely blame the general population for not rising up because they know before they can get to the puppet masters they'd first have to break through the defensive line of morons who think foreigners and gays are the real problem.
Russias statement changes nothing really, It’s not the first time Russia has threatened “dire consequences”, Ukraine is still on the offensive, the West is still funneling billions to Ukraine. It is debatable how delusional Putin is, if he fears for his survival, resorting to using a Nuke in Ukraine, would make his issues much worse. I’m not saying that this is an impossibility. :unsure:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Full protection of the newly annexed territories is on par with the absurdity that the US isn't engaged in the war simply because Americans aren't pulling the triggers

There is another important aspect at play here. The West has told Ukraine to refrain from launching missile attacks (or, for that matter, troop incursions) into Russian territory (presumably to try to inspire Russians to fight to defend Mother Russia). Now Russia (or at least Vlad) asserts that Donbas is Russian territory, which is not really recognized by the rest of the world. But the "annexation" has now blurred the border. Ukraine is now attacking "into Russia", at least according to Russia, so, do they stop at the original border (lines on a map), or should they take more land, form a truly defensible land? Take back Crimea?

Vlad has dug hisself into a deep corner.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is another important aspect at play here. The West has told Ukraine to refrain from launching missile attacks (or, for that matter, troop incursions) into Russian territory (presumably to try to inspire Russians to fight to defend Mother Russia). Now Russia (or at least Vlad) asserts that Donbas is Russian territory, which is not really recognized by the rest of the world. But the "annexation" has now blurred the border. Ukraine is now attacking "into Russia", at least according to Russia, so, do they stop at the original border (lines on a map), or should they take more land, form a truly defensible land? Take back Crimea?

Vlad has dug hisself into a deep corner.
I’d say getting back to their original borders is reasonable and expected, attacking the edge of Russia to undermine Russia’s efforts in Ukraine is acceptable, taking Russian land would be problematic Imo. Even though they’d have a right to do it Imo, based on what they have experienced at the hands of Russia, it would change the dynamics, and might gain Russian citizens’ support for the Ukraine War.

Crimea, I have no idea what the sentiment is there. would they like to be liberated? I’ll assume there is not a clear cut answer.

D

Deleted member 215

Well, Ukrainian troops are in Lyman, which is in annexed territory. Still waiting for those nukes...

Top Bottom
1 2