Russia-Ukraine

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm recalling that in August there was a fair bit of commentary about Ukraine's success in negating the effectiveness of Russia's Black Sea fleet.

This article from Politico for example;

I assume that military planners are looking at how the use of advanced weapon systems has played out in Ukraine and are seriously reconsidering the risks for large warships.

Russia might be able to lay mines but ships trying to enforce a blockade, their fleet could just be sitting ducks for Ukraine. And when Russia loses ships in the Black Sea, they have a problem replacing them with the passage through Turkey closed to war ships

Well it’s certainly true the Black Sea Fleet had an awful lot of hubris in the beginning of the war. I suppose that’s true across the board for the Russian military. I wouldn’t assume however because Russia has been lightly using their naval fleet in the war suggests they are “weak”. I would imagine it’s far more costly and logistically problemic to launch submarine launched cruise missiles vs. launching them from land.

Harpoon missiles, which we have provided, only have a range of about 75 miles. The Neptune missiles allegedly used to sink the Moskova are said to have a range of 170 miles (and are said to be a combination of the harpoon and a Soviet era missile). Both are subsonic which makes them easier to defend (though they skim the surface greatly reducing detection time). Russia should have the technology to defend such attacks- why they failed with the Moskova has been assumed to be human error since evidently no attempt was made. The Black Sea is a big place and all Russia really has to do is hang a couple hundred miles off the coast.

I’m don’t think the US has long range anti-ship missiles- though someone in NATO might. The effectiveness of these in general are a bit questionable since to achieve long range they follow a ballistic trajectory- making them susceptible to interception. And they have to be able to know roughly where the ship is, reach that area, identify and track the ship locally, and redirect themselves since the ship is moving.

If we assume one way or another the ships are defeated, Russia has at least 6 submarines in the Black Sea which could easily disrupt commercial shipping. I would assume at least 2/6 are not operational at any given point given how maintenance typically works. They are Kilo-class diesel electric subs- they are not the most cutting edge machines but still extremely capable and have been updated. And while they don’t have the endurance of a nuclear submarine, they don’t really need it given the location and being electric means they are exceptionally quiet. Technologically Russia has extremely capable submarines these days- maintenance and training however very well could be a different story.

Given Ukraine has no significant navy to speak of and therefore little to no anti-submarine capabilities, I’m not sure how they would address this. I suppose NATO could use their ASW aircraft to detect the submarines and relay their location to Ukraine. That could certainly cause a conflict with Russia. Perhaps Ukraines planes could be provided with anti-submarine missiles, though I’m not sure that’s a technology we’d necessarily want to hand over.

Autonomous boats is a possibility but I’m not sure we have a mature product and would be susceptible to detection and jamming. Autonomous attack submersibles I highly doubt are mature since underwater communication is a problem and would need to heavily rely on AI which I’m not sure has been ironed out yet. Most (if not all) marine drones at this point are reconnaissance drones. Though who knows what NATO navies have up their sleeve.

I suppose Ukraine could target the Russian’s submarine bases directly, but that of course could cause severe problems. Hopefully if Russia is kicked out of Ukraine on land they will just call it quits.

Fun fact: during WWII the Nazis actually transported U-boats over land to put them in the Black Sea. I doubt Russia would go to these lengths and submarines tend to be much larger and heavier today then the 1940’s making such a task pretty difficult.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Putin's Key Man in the Artic Found Dead After Falling Overboard​

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.43.49 PM.png

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
Well it’s certainly true the Black Sea Fleet had an awful lot of hubris in the beginning of the war. I suppose that’s true across the board for the Russian military. I wouldn’t assume however because Russia has been lightly using their naval fleet in the war suggests they are “weak”. I would imagine it’s far more costly and logistically problemic to launch submarine launched cruise missiles vs. launching them from land.

Harpoon missiles, which we have provided, only have a range of about 75 miles. The Neptune missiles allegedly used to sink the Moskova are said to have a range of 170 miles (and are said to be a combination of the harpoon and a Soviet era missile). Both are subsonic which makes them easier to defend (though they skim the surface greatly reducing detection time). Russia should have the technology to defend such attacks- why they failed with the Moskova has been assumed to be human error since evidently no attempt was made. The Black Sea is a big place and all Russia really has to do is hang a couple hundred miles off the coast.

I’m don’t think the US has long range anti-ship missiles- though someone in NATO might. The effectiveness of these in general are a bit questionable since to achieve long range they follow a ballistic trajectory- making them susceptible to interception. And they have to be able to know roughly where the ship is, reach that area, identify and track the ship locally, and redirect themselves since the ship is moving.

If we assume one way or another the ships are defeated, Russia has at least 6 submarines in the Black Sea which could easily disrupt commercial shipping. I would assume at least 2/6 are not operational at any given point given how maintenance typically works. They are Kilo-class diesel electric subs- they are not the most cutting edge machines but still extremely capable and have been updated. And while they don’t have the endurance of a nuclear submarine, they don’t really need it given the location and being electric means they are exceptionally quiet. Technologically Russia has extremely capable submarines these days- maintenance and training however very well could be a different story.

Given Ukraine has no significant navy to speak of and therefore little to no anti-submarine capabilities, I’m not sure how they would address this. I suppose NATO could use their ASW aircraft to detect the submarines and relay their location to Ukraine. That could certainly cause a conflict with Russia. Perhaps Ukraines planes could be provided with anti-submarine missiles, though I’m not sure that’s a technology we’d necessarily want to hand over.

Autonomous boats is a possibility but I’m not sure we have a mature product and would be susceptible to detection and jamming. Autonomous attack submersibles I highly doubt are mature since underwater communication is a problem and would need to heavily rely on AI which I’m not sure has been ironed out yet. Most (if not all) marine drones at this point are reconnaissance drones. Though who knows what NATO navies have up their sleeve.

I suppose Ukraine could target the Russian’s submarine bases directly, but that of course could cause severe problems. Hopefully if Russia is kicked out of Ukraine on land they will just call it quits.

Fun fact: during WWII the Nazis actually transported U-boats over land to put them in the Black Sea. I doubt Russia would go to these lengths and submarines tend to be much larger and heavier today then the 1940’s making such a task pretty difficult.

Perhaps the Black Sea Fleet has also "regrouped" and been "redeployed" to other duties......like not getting sunk? It's a lot easier and cheaper for Putin to replace dead foot soldiers than it is to replace war ships.

In any event, It's been reported in a number of places that the fleet has been staying close to their land based air defense support and not venturing far out into the Black Sea.

I remember reading over the years that Russia has not been spending money to modernize the Black Sea fleet, so perhaps their ships aren't actually outfitted with all the latest protective systems and weapons that one might expect. If that's true, then positioning the ships further out to sea might leave them without the protection they need from missiles launched from Ukraine's aircraft.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

A quick search- Tomahawk anti-ship missiles have a range of 200-1000 miles depending on configuration. Not saying Ukrainians have them.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Rumors I have been hearing say that some generals (as many as 3) are withdrawing their troops from Ukraine. Primarily because the Russian army has largely lost interest in prosecuting this action.

The other rumor I heard (ETA: cite) was that Vlad is taking a hiatus at his dacha in Sochi – it is not clear whether the Sochi dacha has a bunker. (Also, possibly of note, Sochi is less than 400 miles from Ukraine-controlled territory, more like 200 if they retake Crimea.)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Rumors I have been hearing say that some generals (as many as 3) are withdrawing their troops from Ukraine. Primarily because the Russian army has largely lost interest in prosecuting this action.

The other rumor I heard (ETA: cite) was that Vlad is taking a hiatus at his dacha in Sochi – it is not clear whether the Sochi dacha has a bunker. (Also, possibly of note, Sochi is less than 400 miles from Ukraine-controlled territory, more like 200 if they retake Crimea.)
The dynamics between military leadership and civilian leadership is always interesting. I wonder and assume that in Russia’s case this can be done with impunity as a general if your army backs you. I am fairly certain that Mr Shit POTUS before he left his position in 2020, solicited support of the Joint Chiefs for a martial law prop up the dictator scenario, but they told him to stuff it. :unsure: The head of the Joint Chiefs made a public statement prior to the election that the US Military was not getting involved in management of the election, which I thought was an unusual thing to be saying.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Was vlad seen at the golf course with Donny by any chance?

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Black Sea Fleet has also "regrouped" and been "redeployed" to other duties......like not getting sunk? It's a lot easier and cheaper for Putin to replace dead foot soldiers than it is to replace war ships.

In any event, It's been reported in a number of places that the fleet has been staying close to their land based air defense support and not venturing far out into the Black Sea.

I remember reading over the years that Russia has not been spending money to modernize the Black Sea fleet, so perhaps their ships aren't actually outfitted with all the latest protective systems and weapons that one might expect. If that's true, then positioning the ships further out to sea might leave them without the protection they need from missiles launched from Ukraine's aircraft.

I just read a thing that cites a Russian report that lots of the Moskova’s systems as of late 2021 were not functional or fully functional- none of the defense systems worked, one of the radars required for some of the defense systems was not used because it interfered with their communications, most of the fire extinguishers were missing, water tight doors didn’t work, the gas turbine for extra speed didn’t work properly and could basically only be used in emergencies, the rudder system was screwed up inhibiting it’s ability to maneuver, the engines and generators were nearing their of their service life, etc etc etc but was considered to be in “satisfactory” condition. I can’t imagine the US would ever send a ship out to active duty in that condition.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
A quick search- Tomahawk anti-ship missiles have a range of 200-1000 miles depending on configuration. Not saying Ukrainians have them.

There is an anti-ship version of the Tomahawk but as you said the Ukranians don’t have it- not to say they couldn’t. The Tomahawk itself isn’t exactly novel technology at this point and I would think if we’re giving them the Harpoon then anti-ship Tomahawks don’t necessarily seem out of the question. It might be more of a matter of having a viable platform to launch it from and the age old concern of the Ukrainians hitting targets in Russia and the subsequent political ramifications.

That said, Tomahawks would be easier to intercept than Harpoons as they’re not sea skimming. They can be detected much earlier. But of course if you shoot enough of them statistics will win out in the end.

Many of the ships remaining have air defense capabilities though lack the long range ability that the Moskova provided. That’s why Snake Island was so important- to act as a location to place S-300’s to defend their ships.

As it remains dealing with the Submarines will be the greatest challenge if indeed that becomes an issue. That said the Russian subs are diesel-electric and do have to surface roughly every 2 weeks. If you look at my previous post of the alleged condition of the Moskova it does call into question the condition of their navy. But I wouldn’t necessarily rely assumption.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I can’t imagine the US would ever send a ship out to active duty in that condition.

I can imagine, if the US were under imminent-threat/immediate attack by a hostile adversary and that was what was available at the point of attack. The Russians were kind of in exactly the opposite position – not to mention the heavy money-skimming going on in Russia's MIC.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

Given that the Russian army has shown what a juggernaut it is ...

I was wondering about this would happen.

Personally I’m not so sure this is a good idea. Georgia is a tiny country with very few military resources, especially in the offensive department. I don’t think NATO would support an (at this point years later an unprovoked) offensive war at this point and supplying Ukraine with arms and aid is already a challenge. Maybe Russian defenses would just crumble and cede the territory, but they could also mobilize their entire military considering it an invasion and then also siphon those troops over to Ukraine. Seems like a risky move that could easily end very poorly for Georgia and possibly Ukraine as well

If they are going to do it, now would be the time while Russia is distracted, sanctioned, and in limited supply of arms. But that still doesn’t make it a wise plan.

Top Bottom
1 2