Russian Figure Skater Kamila Valieva Tests Positive for TMZ

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva tests positive for trimetazidine, a banned preformance enhancing drug, weeks before China Olympics.

So what do you think? Should Valieva and her team be allowed to keep her medals?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva tests positive for trimetazidine, a banned preformance enhancing drug, weeks before China Olympics.

So what do you think? Should Valieva and her team be allowed to keep her medals?

I don't think they have awarded those medals yet pending the outcome of this.

What I would like to know is why it took over a month for the test results to come back.

If it is a legit positive, then no they don't get the medals.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So during the last olympics Russia was banned for doping, yet still allowed to compete under the new name ROC (Russian Olympic Committee), just trying to understand why this is even allowed.

Then they're busted doping again and we're surprised about it? This is on the IOC (or whoever makes these decisions) for allowing them to compete. What's sad about all of this is that 15 year old girl is obviously talented but Russia still couldn't help but doping her up anyway.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I watched both of her performances during the teams event, and somewhere along the line during the second, longer program, the thought flitted through my mind that yes, she is really good.....um, maybe just TOO good? If she had been, say twenty or so, with some experience under her belt, that would've been one thing but what I was seeing was a fifteen-year-old doing these astonishing feats on the ice. So, yeah, when the news broke and it was eventually revealed that there was an issue concerning drugs on the forbidden list and it was centered around her, I was saddened but not really surprised. She was just TOO good out there on the ice....

I really feel for the girl in all of this, as no matter how things are officially resolved, this will always leave a stain on her reputation as a skater. It's a darned shame, really.

U

User.45

Fascinating. I had to look up Trimetazidine:
1644630617733.png

It shifts metabolism away from burning fat(ty acids) to burn more glucose, reducing the hearts oxygen need to produce the same amount of work. This sounds like an actual performance enhancer, I never thought figure skating was an endurance sport so I'd think the advantage is non-trivial. But it doesn't matter. Especially with Russia's history with Sochi, it would be a really bad message to let this fly.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So during the last olympics Russia was banned for doping, yet stiallowed to compete under the new name ROC (Russian Olympic Committee), just trying to understand why this is even allowed.

Then they're busted doping again and we're surprised about it? This is on the IOC (or whoever makes these decisions) for allowing them to compete. What's sad about all of this is that 15 year old girl is obviously talented but Russia still couldn't help but doping her up anyway.

At first when I saw they were going to let the Russian athletes compete under the banner of the Olympic committee, I thought that was a fair thing to do, to honor the contestants but not permit the honor to extend to a state that oversaw doping to gain an edge. But it's shameful that the coaches of this young girl couldn't let well enough alone and reverted to past form. That child's natural ability and hard work would likely have meant a medal anyway, Now all that hard work and her achievements are tarnished by association to doping, whether she was even aware of it or not.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
The hearing ended about seven hours after it began, finishing around 3:30 a.m. local time in Beijing. The three-person panel will reconvene on Monday to complete its deliberations.

CAS said on Saturday that the panel planned to inform the parties of its decision and announce that finding publicly on Monday afternoon in Beijing, one day before Valieva is — for now — scheduled to compete in the women’s short program.

The stakes of the decision for the Olympics and the global fight against doping could not be higher. As a Russian, Valieva is competing for a nation that is not able to take part in global sports under its own name or flag as part of a multiyear ban related to a state-led doping scheme that sought to corrupt results at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

But none of that was to be part of the discussion on Sunday. There was also expected to be little discussion about how the banned heart medication, trimetazidine, ended up in Valieva’s system, or why it took more than six weeks for the results of a test submitted in December to be confirmed by the Stockholm lab charged with testing it.

Instead, the hearing was to focus on process and proportionality, with the arbitrators asked to weigh a largely philosophical argument pitting the damage of enforcing an immediate ban on a 15-year-old girl — and blocking her from the biggest competition of her life — against the potential damage to the integrity of the competition if she is allowed to compete.

As a minor, Valieva enjoys a different status from older athletes, meaning any punishment that may eventually be meted out is likely to be less severe than those typically issued for a similar failed test by an adult. But that is a conversation for another day, and for another hearing that is most likely months away.

Kamila Valieva’s CAS hearing is over. Here’s what comes next.

U

User.45

Agree.

And, agree again.

Unfortunately, I can believe it all too easily.
I'll add though is that Westerners take success in sports that utilize judges to determine outcomes for granted. It is by no accident that >90% of medals (92 of 99 to be specific) in olympic figure skating went to G7 countries + China+Russia since Lillehammer. Only 2 Golds went to nations outside of this club. So the impression of this whole thing being rigged is just a regular day outside the club.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I can’t believe it. Kamila has been cleared to skate. 😡

It's kind of weird. She is cleared to skate, but the IOC won't award any medals if she is in the Top 3. Guess it isn't over, over.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
According to The Washington Post, the committee still has more investigation to do and hasn't fully made up its mind about how to handle this and in the meantime decided to let Kamila skate. They seemed to be thinking that this way if they exonerate her in the end she will have had the opportunity to win a medal, and if they don't exonerate her, then she doesn't win a medal. Unfortunately, at this point any solution is fraught with pain for someone. I feel bad for the other skaters competing against her as if she winds up in the top three and no one gets a medal that will be so frustrating for all the teams and individual skaters.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
According to The Washington Post, the committee still has more investigation to do and hasn't fully made up its mind about how to handle this and in the meantime decided to let Kamila skate. They seemed to be thinking that this way if they exonerate her in the end she will have had the opportunity to win a medal, and if they don't exonerate her, then she doesn't win a medal. Unfortunately, at this point any solution is fraught with pain for someone. I feel bad for the other skaters competing against her as if she winds up in the top three and no one gets a medal that will be so frustrating for all the teams and individual skaters.
Yeah, punish everybody because you don’t know how to handle the situation. Awesome job, IOC! There are so many turn-offs with these olympics; I haven’t watched any of it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, punish everybody because you don’t know how to handle the situation. Awesome job, IOC! There are so many turn-offs with these olympics; I haven’t watched any of it.
I've been watching some in passing but any time I see the ROC compete I just blast through it, they simply can't be trusted and the IOC has lost all credibility. It never ceases to amaze me how many cave to the mob mindset of people like Trump and Putin. Every other country competing is getting screwed here, it's so unfair to them.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Nope, no medals.