Safari on iPad and Mac - Apple going back to tabs

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like it is a good day in Apple-land. First the new MBP’s, and now Apple is reverting Safari back to having real tabs (and not doing the tab bar color junk unless you elect to enable “compact mode.”

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an iPad with the update. Not really comprehending the tabs change.

What they did with bookmarks is a travesty. Why do bookmarks work differently in portrait vs landscape? It’s fucked.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an iPad with the update. Not really comprehending the tabs change.

What they did with bookmarks is a travesty. Why do bookmarks work differently in portrait vs landscape? It’s fucked.
I think the only improvement is tab groups. Everything else was a mess. Hopefully, since they reverted most of the changes (and will revert some more in the next OS release), they’ll fix the bookmarks issues, too.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I think the only improvement is tab groups. Everything else was a mess. Hopefully, since they reverted most of the changes (and will revert some more in the next OS release), they’ll fix the bookmarks issues, too.
But what an improvement! Best thing since sliced bread or something. Go tab groups! :greenthumb:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
But what an improvement! Best thing since sliced bread or something. Go tab groups! :greenthumb:

I’d probably like them better if they synced more reliably, but they are definitely useful.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I’d probably like them better if they synced more reliably, but they are definitely useful.
Hmm. I haven’t encountered any sync problems so far, lucky me.

Really nice to create a new tab group for a project, problem or weird idea, work on it from whatever device I may be using, and then nuke the sites (eh, tab group) from orbit when done.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use compact mode - I like the additional space for the page, but I don't like that I have to now click a lot more to do things that I used to do (reading list, refresh, etc).

I had sync problems at first especially with the reading list right after iOS 15 came out (and Safari 15) - but turning off/on iCloud Safari fixed it for me and I haven't had a problem since.

Never got used to tab groups. Just seems like a lot more clicking to me?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hmm. I haven’t encountered any sync problems so far, lucky me.

Really nice to create a new tab group for a project, problem or weird idea, work on it from whatever device I may be using, and then nuke the sites (eh, tab group) from orbit when done.

Same here. No problems.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I am __not__ a fan of the bottom address bar in general, but it gets extra stink-eye because it changes to a top address bar when your phone is in landscape.

Keep the UI consistent, and use the common design pattern for browsers, address bar at the top (like MacOS and iPadOS ...)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am __not__ a fan of the bottom address bar in general, but it gets extra stink-eye because it changes to a top address bar when your phone is in landscape.

Keep the UI consistent, and use the common design pattern for browsers, address bar at the top (like MacOS and iPadOS ...)

I like the bottom address bar, actually (of course it’s only on iphone) - makes my giant pro max phone much easier to navigate with one hand. That said, it is a little weird that it mutates in landscape, but the reason is that it is using the same code as the iPad - when you rotate, the “size class” changes and it uses a different viewcontroller. Of course, Apple could have done something about that. In fact, in landscape, I think a “floating”address bar would make even more sense - why use the entirety of the wide display?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I too like the bottom address bar. Basically for the same reason. My giant hands can reach the top of my phone 1-handed, but it's quite the reach and it leaves me holding my phone in an awkward and dangerous way. On the bottom is super comfortable. I could swipe down to bring the top part of the screen down to the middle. And I do do that when I remember. But this is better for me.

Honestly though, these days I'm working at home and going nowhere, so I rarely use the browser on my phone. Not when I'm sitting at a desktop with a full sized browser most of the day. Back when I used to go to work it got quite the workout. No so much anymore.

Top Bottom
1 2