Same-sex marriage at risk as Supreme Court gets more conservative

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
And here come the Conservatives, this could very well be on the chopping block.

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
And here come the Conservatives, this could very well be on the chopping block.

Basically, if you are not a heterosexual, middle class, white male, your reproductive choices, and your partner choices, will be curtailed, restricted, limited, judged, and - if possible - prohibited and controlled, and condemned.

Despite my attempts to cultivate a tolerant liberal perspective, I have long treated these sort of conservatives with benign indifference (calculating - erroneously, as it now would seem - that natural attrition and basic demographics will take care of them).

I used to view these people with condescending contempt - and tried to find excuses or explanations for the fact that they held such awful views: Either they were captives of their culture, or had limited life chances, or hadn't had the benefit of advanced education, or exposure to other cultures, or experienced travel, or simply never had occasion - or reason - to question the worldview in which they were brought up.

Now, I find that I have come to really dislike them; their world is warped and defined by a fierce need to control and punish - and control intimately and cruelly - anyone who deviates from their rigid little definitions of what is deemed appropriate behaviour, conduct, not to mention actual rights - accorded to those who are defined as "different", by virtue of being born into the wrong skin, or race, or class, or gender, or sexual preference.

iMi

Power User
Reaction score
Basically, if you are not a heterosexual, middle class, white male, your reproductive choices, and your partner choices, will be curtailed, restricted, limited, judged, and - if possible - prohibited and controlled, and condemned.

Despite my attempts to cultivate a tolerant liberal perspective, I have long treated these sort of conservatives with benign indifference (calculating - erroneously, as it now would seem - that natural attrition and basic demographics will take care of them).

I used to view these people with condescending contempt - and tried to find excuses or explanations for the fact that they held such awful views: Either they were captives of their culture, or had limited life chances, or hadn't had the benefit of advanced education, or exposure to other cultures, or experienced travel, or simply never had occasion - or reason - to question the worldview in which they were brought up.

Now, I find that I have come to really dislike them; their world is warped and defined by a fierce need to control and punish - and control intimately and cruelly - anyone who deviates from their rigid little definitions of what is deemed appropriate behaviour, conduct, not to mention actual rights - accorded to those who are defined as "different", by virtue of being born into the wrong skin, or race, or class, or gender, or sexual preference.

Well said. I have realized that I have been naive in thinking they are on the fringe of civilized society. We have moved in the right direction for decades now. I believe Trump won because a lot of people felt like the outcome was preordained. There was no way he would win. Democrats had a record low turnout. I’ll bet we won’t make that mistake again.

Top Bottom