Samsung ARMv9 Exynos 2200 with hardware accelerated ray tracing!

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
Samsung and AMD today announced what looks to be a really interesting chip based on ARMv9.

What I’ve found particularly interesting is that (to my knowledge) this is the first commercial example of a mobile chip with hardware accelerated ray tracing via RDNA2.

It’s fantastic to see competition heating up in the handset chip business.

I wonder if we will see Apple introduce ray tracing via Imagination Technologies photon IP later this year in A16 and TSMC N4P process….. or whether we will have to wait for A17.

Exciting times :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Samsung and AMD today announced what looks to be a really interesting chip based on ARMv9.

What I’ve found particularly interesting is that (to my knowledge) this is the first commercial example of a mobile chip with hardware accelerated ray tracing via RDNA2.

It’s fantastic to see competition heating up in the handset chip business.

I wonder if we will see Apple introduce ray tracing via Imagination Technologies photon IP later this year in A16 and TSMC N4P process….. or whether we will have to wait for A17.

Exciting times :)

Saw some benchmarks that looked… not great. Too early to tell.

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
You literally just beat me to it!
Was about to post the same link.

Disappointing initial results, I was expecting more in the graphics benchmarks to be honest.
Guess have to wait for final silicon in shipping units.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You literally just beat me to it!
Was about to post the same link.

Disappointing initial results, I was expecting more in the graphics benchmarks to be honest.
Guess have to wait for final silicon in shipping units.

Could be why they buried the announcement, which was supposed to actually be a couple weeks back.

Or maybe the benchmarks are wrong.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Performance doesn't look very exciting. We don't know how well the hardware accelerated raytracing does though. That could be very neat (I wish Apple had it already).

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hardware raytracing on a chip like that it mostly marketing gimmick at this point. It won’t have the performance to actually do anything serious with RT anyway. I expect it to probably use 8-10 CUs and be 20% slower than A15.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Hardware raytracing on a chip like that it mostly marketing gimmick at this point. It won’t have the performance to actually do anything serious with RT anyway. I expect it to probably use 8-10 CUs and be 20% slower than A15.
8 to 10 CU’s seems like a lot, considering the Steam Deck has 8.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
8 to 10 CU’s seems like a lot, considering the Steam Deck has 8.

The big question is the frequency… expect some efficiency gain from the process and very low clock (sub 1ghz?). I would be very surprised if they deliver less than 8 CUs because then they have no chance competing against iPhones.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
The big question is the frequency… expect some efficiency gain from the process and very low clock (sub 1ghz?). I would be very surprised if they deliver less than 8 CUs because then they have no chance competing against iPhones.
Weren’t the reports that they wanted high clocks but had thermal issues? We haven’t really seen how well RDNA 2 works without infinity cache yet, so this should be interesting.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This whole thing strikes me as a kludge. I can’t imagine AMD and Samsung worked together closely enough to make this make sense. Guess we’ll see.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Not surprising. Samsung in general and Android in general have track records of rushing out features to say they were first then having it become apparent the implementation is half baked. Remember when they rushed to be first to have facial identification only for people to discover it could be faked with photographs? Apple took the time to build out their version (Face ID) correctly with a separate security processing and storage block as well as the ML block so when they rolled theirs out it worked correctly.

I expect the same when they add ray tracing to their SOC designs.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Not surprising. Samsung in general and Android in general have track records of rushing out features to say they were first then having it become apparent the implementation is half baked. Remember when they rushed to be first to have facial identification only for people to discover it could be faked with photographs? Apple took the time to build out their version (Face ID) correctly with a separate security processing and storage block as well as the ML block so when they rolled theirs out it worked correctly.

I expect the same when they add ray tracing to their SOC designs.
Well there are really two ways to add hardware RT, repurpose existing units or add new ones. AMD repurposed 1 TMU per CU while nvidia created whole new block (like tensor cores).

Seeing RT results @1080p for the 6500XT (with 16 ”Ray Accelerator”) should be enough for us to know RT with that many units isn’t doable (though this could be due to the bandwidth nerf AMD did, but with no existing non-nerfed parts it is hard to say) at that resolution.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Perhaps the catchphrase should be "… and then, Apple does it well". Like they did not invent the windowing or the mouse or the mp3 player or the smartphone. They just did those things better than anyone before them. Most likely they will get hardware RT right as well – or perhaps come up with a more elegant approach to making it happen faster.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
That does seem to be Apple's M.O. - they are not necessarily first to market because they don't usually go to market unless it works properly to their standards.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
If you believe wccftech, then it has 6 CU’s and runs at 555 MHz.

Top Bottom
1 2