Samsung TVs too dark when watching 4K HDR

U

User.45

Bumping this because I'm getting ready to upgrade my TV and would like to get the input of anyone who is satisfied with HDR and their current TV. Unless something has notably changed with Samsung I won't be going back to them.
Still happy with my LG CX 55". But if you go to bestbuy, the demo material running on nanoLED tvs look comparably good. The big question of course is what it produces in a dark room.
Honestly, after some months, I don't even recognize Dolby Vision content, unless there's a neon sign which are ridiculously glowing on HDR/DV.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Appreciate the feedback, after digging around on the 4K sub for a while I ended up with the Sony X90CJ. I was able to get it through Costco on a black Friday deal so if there are any issues it's always easy to take back.

U

User.45

Appreciate the feedback, after digging around on the 4K sub for a while I ended up with the Sony X90CJ. I was able to get it through Costco on a black Friday deal so if there are any issues it's always easy to take back.
yeah the demo material looked pretty good on those.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Sony could be had for less than 1500 CAD right now for the xr65x90j which sounds reasonable-ish and from Costco here too. Hm... maybe I surprise the wife with a new tv this year... decisions decisions...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The Sony could be had for less than 1500 CAD right now for the xr65x90j which sounds reasonable-ish and from Costco here too. Hm... maybe I surprise the wife with a new tv this year... decisions decisions...
Getting the 75" for $1599 from Costco, black Friday may have something to do with it. 🤷‍♂️

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nice! I'm afraid that thing won't fit on my TV stand depth-wise anymore... damnit
I checked out a review that said you can install the stands on either narrow or wide settings, might be worth looking into.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I checked out a review that said you can install the stands on either narrow or wide settings, might be worth looking into.

Thanks much for that pointer. Got to look up some more details on this beast. The model you mentioned of course isn’t even available at Canadian Costco but Bestbuy has it for shy of two grand which is probably comparable.

U

User.45

Yeah, I've seen these in the show room and were pretty good. That said, my psychological threshold is at 55". Beyond that, I'd go with a short throw projector that can do 80" and I can drag it around the home. A buddy of mine gave me a 720p projector and out of curiosity I set it up to do 100" projection in my bedroom. To my surprise, it's really exciting despite the blurriness. Not sure if it's just the nostalgia as we used to have a similar one 8 years ago, and it really changed our experience with movies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, I've seen these in the show room and were pretty good. That said, my psychological threshold is at 55". Beyond that, I'd go with a short throw projector that can do 80" and I can drag it around the home. A buddy of mine gave me a 720p projector and out of curiosity I set it up to do 100" projection in my bedroom. To my surprise, it's really exciting despite the blurriness. Not sure if it's just the nostalgia as we used to have a similar one 8 years ago, and it really changed our experience with movies.
You mean your minimum size is 55"? I'm looking at maybe 18' viewing distance in my living room, we've had a 65" for the last 6 years and on this Sony we're moving up to our 75", the additional 10" should make a nice upgrade.

U

User.45

You mean your minimum size is 55"? I'm looking at maybe 18' viewing distance in my living room, we've had a 65" for the last 6 years and on this Sony we're moving up to our 75", the additional 10" should make a nice upgrade.
Nah it's the max. Bear in mind I have two little rascals who climb on stuff and throw stuff around, so a TV like that would be at grave risk:D

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nah it's the max. Bear in mind I have two little rascals who climb on stuff and throw stuff around, so a TV like that would be at grave risk:D
Ahh okay, yeah that seems like sound logic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Finally got the Sony 75" Class - X90CJ delivered and the difference is like day and night, in many ways it's like a computer and the last one I had was 6 years old. As soon as you hit the power button it snaps on instantly with all of this brilliant color and contrast, HDR is awesome and I can see all the detail in both brights and darks.

I've upgraded Netflix again now that I can view their content, the TV actually has an optimization setting just for that service, and I'm throwing away the old non-4K Roku box which was the only way I could view content as it downscaled everything. It was good to me in a time if need though, I'll be saying something nice to it as it hits the trash. :mrgreen:

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
I have a Sony XBR-55X950G (Livingroom) and Samsung Q60 (Bedroom). Both 55 inch.

Samsung's QLED has amazing blacks, almost as good as OLED, but it's a serious PITA to set up color accuracy. Especially when doing it manually for every individual input source. And it's too easy to mistakenly change all sources at once. I had to take picture of each of my source settings, cause if the HDMI is unplugged and plugged back in, this TV likes to reset to a specific color mode depending on the detected input. I also had the HDR darkness issue. But once I set the brightness up a little (when HDR is enabled), it actually stay on that same brightness everytime HDR is enabled. HDR quality is amazing on this TV.

My Sony LED TV color quality was 98% to my liking right out the box. Although the blacks are not as good as the Samsung QLED. HDR was perfect since day one, didn't have to mess with the brightness. I also learned to like the Android UI as much as Samsung's Tizen.

I like Samsung TVs but I think I'm going to go Sony OLED next. I watched plenty of Youtube reviews, and it seems burn-in isn't that big of an issue with all the protection settings OLED has now. Which is important for me, cause my desktop PC is connected to my bedroom TV. Not even thinking about LG, simply cause I hate their UI.

Top Bottom
1 2