Scotland Makes Period Products Free

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Very impressive, and most welcome.

Period poverty - which can lead to girls missing school, and missing out on their education - is a very real problem.

An excellent idea, and a superb example of inspired (and responsible) public policy.

And, I will add, it has crossed my mind that if the First Minister of Scotland (Nicola Sturgeon) was not female, I very much doubt that this initiative would have been put forward.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Also of note - and I was informed by my 14 year old - that New Zealand and Seoul both offer free products through schools.

This is particularly well thought out:

People can find the nearest location with free period products through a mobile app called PickupMyPeriod. The app allows users to filter which products are available and how to find them at the location. Home delivery is also available.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
In a plurality of US states, not only are period products not free, they are also subject to sales tax.

states that tax period products 2022.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
End the pink tax!

I used to keep a case of sanitary pads in my closet at school. I also kept a bag of Band-aids in my desk. I mention this because I spoke to a friend yesterday who is a middle school teacher in Florida, where the laws now prevent her from giving either to students unless she has signed parental permission - in advance.

I’ll end with my tweet from two days ago.

9AAEDD2B-278E-407F-888C-D6F5A03571C4.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2