Seasonal Christmas Talk

iMi

Site Champ
Reaction score
I love Christmas. The idea of Christmas... but hate all the decorating. My wife loves it. We used to have two and once even three trees, decorations everywhere, garlands on the fireplace, staircase, railing and of course candles, lights and the full-blown “tablescape.” And that’s just the inside... God help me. I live for January first, so this Christmas nightmare can be over...

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Xmas Kringle arrived today! It's two days [too][ early, hahaha, it's going to eaten before Xmas if it's not careful!

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's sold out! Yum ...

1608595210283.png

Here comes Santa Claus, Here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus Lane and he is bringing his very special secret Kringle to the party! We first start with Santa's secret Red Velvet cake recipe and then layer that with a silky smooth vanilla pudding. If that isn't enough, it's then finished with our signature creamy frosting and garnished with Christmas sprinkles. Ho, Ho, Oh...this tastes sooo good, no wonder he's been keeping it as a secret!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The Xmas Kringle arrived today! It's two days [too][ early, hahaha, it's going to eaten before Xmas if it's not careful!
I got a surprise almond Kringle delivered today and ate some of it - it was delicious. I have to send a thank you card to the kind people who sent it to me!

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I wish they’d had that Mantelmount a few years ago before I mounted our TV on an arm on the wall next to the fireplace. Above it was just too high for our medium size room.

Question, though. When it’s pulled down, can you use the fireplace at the same time? Seems it would get too hot for the TV.

But back to Christmas...

One of my fondest memories years ago was going to a live tree farm with my kids and cutting down our own. That ended when my wife’s allergies got worse and we bought an artificial tree. (I can’t believe artificial ones are ecologically desirable, though.)

Our first artificial tree we had for years, but back then they were much wider than they are today. Ours was a mother of a tree that took up 1/3 of the room. When the lights finally went out I was secretly pleased, because it gave me an excuse to remove them and get creative with my own. My favorite combination was part white lights, part red, white and green globe lights (about the size of a marble), and sets that looked like holly leaves with red lights for the berries. Very Christmassy.

I have a different, narrower tree now, but the lights are pretty strong and I don’t see them burning out anytime soon. I’ve always wanted to try warm white mixed with pure white lights. I saw this once in front of someone’s house, and together they looked like silver and gold.

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish they’d had that Mantelmount a few years ago before I mounted our TV on an arm on the wall next to the fireplace. Above it was just too high for our medium size room.

Question, though. When it’s pulled down, can you use the fireplace at the same time? Seems it would get too hot for the TV.

Feedback is that it does not, it's still plenty far enough away that heat is not an issue (I'd guess the actual particulars of the fire / fireplace design might change that).

It's pretty neat, it comes with a lower [optional] handle (we didn't install ours), that has heat indicators on it, to show if the heat is excessive. Plus it can be adjusted to any incremental position, it's not like it's just up or down (so you have it down, but further away from the heat source).

In looking at the site, I guess we have what they now call an MM700, we were early adopters, when that was the only option (and sort of model-number-less), we've had ours for ~7 years.

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
This holiday season was, given everything, pretty great for us. Decorations and whatnot up early, down late (just put our tree at the curb), no worries about travel (because there was _none_), loved the Fri-to-Fri timing on Xmas and New Year, ate and drank a ton, so much delicious good, hahaha, and now in serious dial-back mode.

Family, gifts, music, movies, general silliness, it was almost +normal+ :)

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
If you can ignore it being lonelier than usual, then it was pretty good, for all the reasons you mentioned.

All that's left for me now is hoping for some better weather so I can take down the outdoor decorations, and waiting for that last present that USPS has yet to deliver.

Between the pandemic and that idiot DeJoy, they're still running pretty far behind. According to USPS tracking, the last time this particular present moved anywhere along its route was December 16.

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you can ignore it being lonelier than usual, then it was pretty good, for all the reasons you mentioned.

All that's left for me now is hoping for some better weather so I can take down the outdoor decorations, and waiting for that last present that USPS has yet to deliver.

Between the pandemic and that idiot DeJoy, they're still running pretty far behind. According to USPS tracking, the last time this particular present moved anywhere along its route was December 16.

We had a couple of gifts (for ILs and friends) come late, from the same place in fact. Custom artwork, super fun, the IL's was just late, even though the wife ordered it 2+ weeks before Xmas.

Hahaha, the friends came in on time ... but it wasn't theirs, it was the same design, same dad/mom/child/pet layout, but wrong names! So we contacted the seller, they're not the actual artist (they work with dozens), and offered to just cross ship the one we got to the proper owner - and suggested, if someone contacted them saying they received ours, give them our address.

Because, you know, that makes sense - the problem is fixed faster, the artist doesn't waste additional time/resources, and we don't wind up with artwork for people we don't know. I realize there might have been privacy concerns, but we also made it clear to confirm it was OK with the other party.

Nope, they thought it was a better option to have the artist recreate it from scratch. So it showed up a week after Xmas :rolleyes:

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
No tree / yard trash pickup! We took a bike ride this afternoon/evening, and there were tons of trees by the curb, the fallen, having done their duty, waiting to join their people in the great compost heap in the sky ...

Top Bottom