Senate Votes to make Daylight Savings Permanent

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Now if we can it it past the House and signed..........

Hope you get it done there! Lead by example. 🙂

I wish they would abandon it here in Europe as well.

They have been talking about abandoning it since it was first implemented.

The vast majority of people are in favour of abolishing it… but… governments keep coming up with excuses.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Some background info on why it was established in the first place in the US.

Daylight-saving time was established in the United States in 1918 as an effort to save energy during World War I, which ended later that year. Daylight-saving time was mandatory again during World War II, but afterward it was not a national requirement: States had the authority to decide if they wanted to observe it, and if so, could pick the start and end dates. This caused widespread time discrepancies, so the Uniform Time Act of 1966 established a start and end date, but states still had the choice whether to observe it. We can thank the energy crisis of the 1970s for extending daylight-saving time and making it a popular choice with almost every state.

They attempted to do without it the 70s and it was not well received, particularly because in the winter time kids had to walk to school or bus stops in the dark of night.
The sun rose at 8:27 AM on January 7, 1974. Children in the Washington area had left for school in the dark that morning, thanks to a new national experiment during a wrenching energy crisis: most of the US went to year-round daylight saving time beginning on January 6. “It was jet black” outside when her daughter was supposed to leave for school, Florence Bauer of Springfield told the Washington Post. “Some of the children took flashlights with them.”

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Hope you get it done there! Lead by example. 🙂

I wish they would abandon it here in Europe as well.

They have been talking about abandoning it since it was first implemented.

The vast majority of people are in favour of abolishing it… but… governments keep coming up with excuses.
Most recent excuse was covid-19, if I recall correctly…

I think it will actually happen here in Europe in my lifetime, especially if those crazy Americans manage to get it done.

D

Deleted member 215

They attempted to do without it the 70s and it was not well received, particularly because in the winter time kids had to walk to school or bus stops in the dark of night.
That’s something proponents of year-round DST often fail to address, the fact that it will be very dark in the morning in the winter. Of course, schools tend to open much later now (at least around here), so maybe it won’t be as much of an issue.

The main issue is getting rid of the change. How come year-round standard time is never on the table?

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I really hope this gets passed. I'm so tired of the time changes. Just leave it on DST. I'd prefer to have the extra daylight in the evening. Though, honestly, at this point I don't really care. Just stop the time change madness already.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
That’s something proponents of year-round DST often fail to address, the fact that it will be very dark in the morning in the winter. Of course, schools tend to open much later now (at least around here), so maybe it won’t be as much of an issue.

The main issue is getting rid of the change. How come year-round standard time is never on the table?
I really hope this gets passed. I'm so tired of the time changes. Just leave it on DST. I'd prefer to have the extra daylight in the evening. Though, honestly, at this point I don't really care. Just stop the time change madness already.

There is your answer. With standard time, it would get light at 5AM.

As for kids going to school in the dark, in December & January my daughter was always getting on the bus in the dark. So not really a change, at least around here.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Already seeing health nut articles talking about how this will fuck up your sleep patterns, as if changing the clock twice a year doesn't...or stress from the ever-growing list of life uncertainty. But ok, we were all at peak sleep performance before this happened.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
As someone in their late 30s - I'm starting to feel the effect of the time change. Yeah, I don't have much reason to complain but every year it seems to hit me harder than usual.

I prefer the night time and darkness - calmer, quieter, and easier to read. lol.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the time change but I know several people who won't be happy about it (the get up early and run people).

D

Deleted member 215

There is your answer. With standard time, it would get light at 5AM.

As for kids going to school in the dark, in December & January my daughter was always getting on the bus in the dark. So not really a change, at least around here.
Meh. I’d just assume get up earlier. I used to sleep in until 9 and go to bed at 2AM when I was in college, but I’m finding myself going to bed earlier and getting up earlier as I get older 🤷‍♂️

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
As someone in their late 30s - I'm starting to feel the effect of the time change. Yeah, I don't have much reason to complain but every year it seems to hit me harder than usual.

Wait until you're in your 50's. It will hit you like a sledgehammer. LOL

For me, I am already over moving the clocks forward. A couple of days and I have adjusted. It is the moving them back that messes me up for a couple of weeks at least.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Already seeing health nut articles talking about how this will fuck up your sleep patterns, as if changing the clock twice a year doesn't...or stress from the ever-growing list of life uncertainty. But ok, we were all at peak sleep performance before this happened.
Wait, people are saying not changing the time will screw up your sleep? Whaaaa? That makes no sense. Adding and removing hours certainly does mess up your sleep though.

I prefer the night time and darkness - calmer, quieter, and easier to read. lol.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the time change but I know several people who won't be happy about it (the get up early and run people).
Yeah, mid 30s here and I'm feeling it more and more every time.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will love it I guess. the only real benefit is my body has a set time I cant eat in the evening and it dos not change with the time change. Now its around 7:30 but it was till this week 6:30 so I have to make sure I eat by then. its easier at 7:30 then 6:30 I have had to change when I get up and my work schedule to make sure I got home in time to eat. or have a meal at work and eat before I leave.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
The one thing on which there is broad consensus is that changing every fall and spring is counter-productive. But there are some valid arguments for implementing ST vs. DST year-round.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wait until you're in your 50's. It will hit you like a sledgehammer. LOL

For me, I am already over moving the clocks forward. A couple of days and I have adjusted. It is the moving them back that messes me up for a couple of weeks at least.
For some reason it really hits me when we fall back, just like jet lag.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
For some reason it really hits me when we fall back, just like jet lag.

Yes, jet lag. Great description.

When I was younger I loved moving the clocks back and hated moving them forward. Now I hate moving them back and don't really care about the forward.
This would be awesome. I can’t believe this bill was brought forward by Marco Rubio.

Yeah he was the original sponsor, but many Senators from both parties signed on.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of advocates think that far ahead. Don't get me wrong, I think I'm for it, but you do have to understand the winter-time consequences.

This would be awesome. I can’t believe this bill was brought forward by Marco Rubio.
Me either.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think the Feds should make a big wheel with 1-6, once with +, once with -, then every quarter spin it, and that's the new time change.

Who's with me?

:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom
1 2