September (20) Apple Event

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm running iPad OS 14 (beta) on iPad Pro and the "scribble" thing is pretty nice. If you're already using the pencil, it can be used for things all over the OS. I wrote some of these posts using the pencil!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm running iPad OS 14 (beta) on iPad Pro and the "scribble" thing is pretty nice. If you're already using the pencil, it can be used for things all over the OS. I wrote some of these posts using the pencil!

That’s what I’m most excited about. Widgets will be nice, but Scribble? Oooo baby!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
iPad Air has a better processor than iPad Pro now?

Yup. The new Air looks exactly like the smaller Pro, supports the same accessories, sports better all around hardware, which means all you're getting for the extra $200 is Face ID, which is nice, but not exactly a killer feature worth the higher price tag.

The only reason why I could think of anyone opting for the Pro model right now is that they really want that 12.9 inch screen.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah that new iPad Air looks pretty nice. I was thinking of getting a 12.9" Pro (not immediately) but after all, screen real estate that size is what my 2020 MBA is for.

Anyway my existing iPad Pro certainly must feel older than it did early this morning once Apple got done pitching that new iPad Air. Hah, and I had the nerve to stream "the competition" onto that iPad Pro, poor baby.

I'll wait awhile though, dropped enough $$ on Apple hardware for this year.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yup. The new Air looks exactly like the smaller Pro, supports the same accessories, sports better all around hardware, which means all you're getting for the extra $200 is Face ID, which is nice, but not exactly a killer feature worth the higher price tag.

The only reason why I could think of anyone opting for the Pro model right now is that they really want that 12.9 inch screen.

I went to the 12” iPad Pro. That lasted a year. When I upgraded last year because I realized I really needed wireless and not just WiFi, I went back to the 10”.

I must admit, though, I do like the touchID on the power button on the Air.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If the widgets aren't still broken. For the last 3 updates my weather widget was broke.
2ED1D92C-84CC-4BCE-828D-65A05D7BB08D.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounded like a mostly sleeper event. I have the current version Apple Watch and don't see any reason to upgrade. Seems they are really gunning for health-related features which is great but also seems painfully slow in real advancements. I wonder how those people who bought the $10,000 Apple Watch 1 Edition are feeling about that purchase now. :LOL: Talk about short-lived stupid purchase.

I think the next thing I will be in the market for is a new 12.9" iPad Pro. I have the first version and it works just fine but I'm really liking the look and functionality of their new keyboard for the latest version.

If I had one wish from Apple that probably will never happen is quit gouging us on storage size (and RAM in their computers). I feel they are really going over the top on their pricing for those common needs. It would be nice if they just made removable drives on all their iPhones and iPads. Hell, make it so you can only use a drive made and sold by Apple. You shouldn't have to buy a whole new device just because you run out of space.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same! I’ll split the cost with my Mom and sister. I’m certain my sister will want Fitness+ once she finds out that she’s getting my s5 for her birthday/Christmas.

How do you get them to split the cost? Man! I gave my son my old iPad Pro (12”) when I got the new 10”. And my mother uses my Apple account for everything. I mean everything! I figure she’ll call me Friday and ask me if I got her a new watch band too since she’ll get the notification of delivery from the Apple Store.

I think the next thing I will be in the market for is a new 12.9" iPad Pro. I have the first version and it works just fine but I'm really liking the look and functionality of their new keyboard for the latest version.

OMG...so worth it! I have used my iPad even more since buying the floating keyboard. It’s wonderful!

You shouldn't have to buy a whole new device just because you run out of space.

Agree! Which is why I’ll probably never buy another MBA. OTOH, I now automatically save everything to iCloud, Google, or MS.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
...but I'm really liking the look and functionality of their new keyboard for the latest version.

I can't help but think that, even considering Apple's usual price range for their accessories, that iPad keyboard with the trackpad is way, way, WAY overpriced. If I'm gonna spend that much, I'd rather get a Magic Trackpad, and a good regular Apple keyboard. It's not like they're any less portable, I'd stuff it all into a bag anyway, and they're more comfortable to use.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't help but think that, even considering Apple's usual price range for their accessories, that iPad keyboard with the trackpad is way, way, WAY overpriced. If I'm gonna spend that much, I'd rather get a Magic Trackpad, and a good regular Apple keyboard. It's not like they're any less portable, I'd stuff it all into a bag anyway, and they're more comfortable to use.

But I also like the way it elevates the iPad. Also I don't currently use a laptop. I have a 27" iMac and the rest is iPads. So I'm looking to replicate the laptop experience as much as possible.

In other news....

I cancelled my Apple News subscription. Twice. I get nowhere near the variety of news I get from Flipboard and Apple News seems to hardly update throughout the day. At best it gave me access to some news publishers that I would have to pay separately through their paywall but I believe some have or are now jumping ship from Apple's bundle. Also I determined a lot of their headlines are clickbait because once I had access I really didn't get more informed about something important. It might be good for magazine content but I didn't really find myself using it for that, that much. I really don't like the format having to view that publication exclusively in its entirety. That should be an option but I think the articles should also be sprinkled about in your news feed under like subjects.

Also I don't know why it thinks I enjoy People magazine so much because that is always on the main page. I looked for ways to customize it to my taste but I found it unintuitive, non existent, or lacking in any measurable difference. I think the people in charge of Apple News need to be replaced. Were they leftovers from Ping?

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Sounded like a mostly sleeper event. I have the current version Apple Watch and don't see any reason to upgrade. Seems they are really gunning for health-related features which is great but also seems painfully slow in real advancements. I wonder how those people who bought the $10,000 Apple Watch 1 Edition are feeling about that purchase now. :LOL: Talk about short-lived stupid purchase.

If I had one wish from Apple that probably will never happen is quit gouging us on storage size (and RAM in their computers). I feel they are really going over the top on their pricing for those common needs. It would be nice if they just made removable drives on all their iPhones and iPads. Hell, make it so you can only use a drive made and sold by Apple. You shouldn't have to buy a whole new device just because you run out of space.

I can’t imagine spending that much on a watch. [emoji33]

Agreed. I only got 64GB on my 2018 11” iPad Pro. I’m not worried about space because I offload the apps I’m not using and I save everything to iCloud.

How do you get them to split the cost? Man! I gave my son my old iPad Pro (12”) when I got the new 10”. And my mother uses my Apple account for everything. I mean everything! I figure she’ll call me Friday and ask me if I got her a new watch band too since she’ll get the notification of delivery from the Apple Store.

OMG...so worth it! I have used my iPad even more since buying the floating keyboard. It’s wonderful!

Agree! Which is why I’ll probably never buy another MBA. OTOH, I now automatically save everything to iCloud, Google, or MS.

I use You Owe Me to keep track of how much they both owe. Then I send their bill along with an Pay request. Since I still have my free year of tv+ I get Showtime free so that’s why it’s not in the list. As you can see we are tv addicts. But split 3 ways we are way better off even though we have many services.

I haven’t bought the keyboard yet. I can’t wait to get it though. I plan on buying it at the same time as the s6.

fea5e235f62f93e885862efdf53cf616.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven’t bought the keyboard yet. I can’t wait to get it though. I plan on buying it at the same time as the s6.

It makes your iPad something far more productive.

I looked at ordering one tonight, then I saw the shipping date...

Holy cow! They must have been gobbled up. But I was on the store the instant it reopened and ordered right away. Mine will be here Friday. I’ll be sure to share plenty of pictures. ;)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It makes your iPad something far more productive.

Holy cow! They must have been gobbled up. But I was on the store the instant it reopened and ordered right away. Mine will be here Friday. I’ll be sure to share plenty of pictures. ;)
I cracked and ordered one. I have a CC given to me buy a XMas gift ( A new computer ) that I never bought. This will do.

The only update I've seen is a notification for my phone to get the previous update. I only want the iPad OS update, as I want to see if the stuff is fixed on my 2018.

Top Bottom
1 2