Share how the arts survive and thrive online despite the pandemic

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'll start this thread off having been heartened by a piece in the Philadelphia Inquirer this morning. They acknowledge you're not going to see performances of massively orchestrated scores like a Mahler symphony from then again any time soon. But on the bright side, that leaves room for presentation of more chamber-like works that sometimes get short shrift from major urban orchestras, as well as innovative offerings from contemporary composers who deserve the extra attention.

The piece has rounded up quotes from other major orchestras on how they too struggle to deal with the need to keep their patrons and audiences happy while protecting their artists and, in the financial sense, "keeping the doors open." That may be very hard to manage, and some orchestras have cancelled their entire season while trying to sketch out plans to present online alternatives. As for concerns of the musicians about their livelihood, well... it's not a whole different from having been well paid staff in a pricey restaurant that now has a receptionist taking orders for delivery and a skeleton crew in the kitchen.

But a musician is like an athlete in the sense of needing to keep up skill levels and physical strength, so I'm hoping people will share links to blogs they hear about individual performers and chamber groups have been setting up for virtual performances during the pandemic.

So I hope that members here will share news and links to online offerings from musicians, a category of entertainment that might escape attention amid all the mailbox clutter of our pals meanwhile emailing movie and TV watching tips as we cope without access to live concerts.

Of course I don't mean to limit this thread to news of just "classical" music, or even just to music. Have at it. Help me out here as you learn about sites that we can access online for music and other arts. For instance, The Whitney Museum now has a wonderful installation related to Mexican muralists and has put a lot of it online with videos as well as images and text, in both English and Spanish.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have seen some amazing videos from singers to ballet on Facebook lately. All done virtually, but in perfect synchronization.

There have also been some challenges to recreate famous paintings while in lockdown, and some of them have been amazing.

lizkat

Reaction score
I've started prowling around for art museum online exhibits after realizing that during covid-19 at least, they are putting more than just a few teaser photos or videos up of their real life offerings. Especially while some are still completely closed to the public. Keep meaning to make more time to do that and will post links when I bump into something strikes me as fun to explore. Some of course may decide to focus more on online presentations and will paywall more than are doing now. Artists and their curators gotta eat...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I've started prowling around for art museum online exhibits after realizing that during covid-19 at least, they are putting more than just a few teaser photos or videos up of their real life offerings. Especially while some are still completely closed to the public. Keep meaning to make more time to do that and will post links when I bump into something strikes me as fun to explore. Some of course may decide to focus more on online presentations and will paywall more than are doing now. Artists and their curators gotta eat...

At the risk of cross-referencing a discussion from The Other Place, I've just been looking at the site of the Musée de Cluny; the museum itself - one of my very favourite places on the planet - is scheduled to re-open on September 28.

However, their site does contain a very clever, witty image of the Lady in the Lion & the Unicorn series of tapestries, depicted wearing a lovely mask.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Many professional musicians are really struggling right now. Some arts organizations are making “virtual” music with musicians playing from home and sound and video techs putting it together. It puts a little money in musicians’ pockets, but not as much as usual. Large orchestras, opera companies, etc. are shuttered. They will need some serious help from donors to stay solvent. As for the individual musicians, I don’t know how they will manage without the additional unemployment benefits, because they aren’t eligible for regular unemployment. Live concerts will probably be one of the last “normal” things to return because of how close everybody sits together in an enclosed space.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Whaaat?

Why did no one tell me about this?

Yes! Search for David Lynch Theatre on YouTube. He's posting daily videos from his studio (including a guessing game and whatever he's working on), PLUS shorts, PLUS Rabbits and other stuff. It's truly great, he brings lots of happiness.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
They’ve been releasing a lot of (old) concerts on YouTube lately as a direct result of people not being able to go to any currently. A few months before covid I got a large inflatable outdoor screen, projector, and outdoor sound system to have concert viewing nights at our cabin. Usually people come from other cabins on the property to enjoy. Great sound and usually better viewing than if you were actually there. Since there are so many different ages and tastes I usually just do a playlist of live songs from different concerts as opposed to viewing a full concert in its entirety, sometimes toss in a standup comedian bit to cleanse the pallet before a genre change.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Most famous for being Phil Collin's live show bassist, but he's been a studio musician for a long time. His fairly new YouTube channel is excellent, sometimes jamming along with tunes and other times telling stories about the famous artists he's worked with. In the spirit of this forum he started his YouTube channel because of being banned multiple times from social media for his outspoken lefty viewpoints.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Most famous for being Phil Collin's live show bassist, but he's been a studio musician for a long time. His fairly new YouTube channel is excellent, sometimes jamming along with tunes and other times telling stories about the famous artists he's worked with. In the spirit of this forum he started his YouTube channel because of being banned multiple times from social media for his outspoken lefty viewpoints.

In case you aren't one of the 82 million people who have watched this...Chilling. Amazing.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It's not online, but this is kind of amazing. I mean, the amount of work it must have taken to make this happen.

sam-fender-socially-distant-concert-kb-main-200813_6f37f484f0bcaf08596ef23199457902.fit-2000w.jpg

I like the idea. You can't get much more separated than that. Well, you can if you stay home.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I just got one of those coronavirus status report texts. Ohio is allowing live theatre to re-open but at 15% capacity.

(Why not 30% or 50%? Have you seen how some of those seats are crammed together?)

They’re wondering how this would be economically feasible. Sure streaming’s an option...but would patrons used to seeing live in-person performances support it?

It works as a novelty when NBC broadcasts one live play or musical per year...but AFAIK its unproven as a regular replacement for the stage.

lizkat

Reaction score
I just got one of those coronavirus status report texts. Ohio is allowing live theatre to re-open but at 15% capacity.

(Why not 30% or 50%? Have you seen how some of those seats are crammed together?)

They’re wondering how this would be economically feasible. Sure streaming’s an option...but would patrons used to seeing live in-person performances support it?

It works as a novelty when NBC broadcasts one live play or musical per year...but AFAIK its unproven as a regular replacement for the stage.

Scientists in Germany are trying to examine in detail what goes on with covid-19 in large indoor gatherings... I will be interested to follow this topic.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Cover of hit song originally recorded by Filter about the US congressman who shot himself in the face live at a news conference after being charged with..I don't remember. :confused: Great song though.

Why is this here? A lof of musicians doing online collaborations because of Covid.

Top Bottom
1 2