Should I be offended I receive mail in Spanish?

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Spanish last name, like Spain Spanish, not Latin America Spanish. I don't speak Spanish, and yet I sometimes receive mail that is completely in Spanish. Should I be offended by this assumption profiling?

And I'm not asking from a white nationalist Trump supporter view. I'm asking from the far left wokeness view. It's profile stereotyping. In case you think it might just be based on general population makeup data, like Chad Smith also receives mail in Spanish, we also have a huge Asain population and I've never received mail in any Asian language.

lizkat

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have a Spanish last name, like Spain Spanish, not Latin America Spanish. I don't speak Spanish, and yet I sometimes receive mail that is completely in Spanish. Should I be offended by this assumption profiling?

And I'm not asking from a white nationalist Trump supporter view. I'm asking from the far left wokeness view. It's profile stereotyping. In case you think it might just be based on general population makeup data, like Chad Smith also receives mail in Spanish, we also have a huge Asain population and I've never received mail in any Asian language.

It would certainly seem to be profiling. Might not be legal even if to a marketer it might seem similar to renting some contact lists and merge-filtering them to aim direct mail at a subset, e.g. a zip code or all the names look female or all the people gave to this 501(c) AND that one, etc.

We get pitches for new septic systems as rural boxholders here in headwaters of two major river systems, since the old ones are grandfathered, but new ones must meet EPA standards. Doesn't matter if you HAVE a new septic tank, still get the pitches...

Junk mail is junk mail, I'm more or less offended getting stuff in that category in general. Hate those oversize cardboard things with replicas of auto ignition keys glued onto them, jeez.

Most of us probably get mail from outfits like health insurers who are required to present some info in several languages in the USA. That's different though and clearly not profiling but compliance with law. Does use up a lot of paper if you can't switch your receipt preferences to electronic, and there's no option for "just send me the one written in _________."

JagRunner

Power User
Reaction score
No, you shouldn't be offended. I get stuff in Spanish and English all the time, but then again I am Texas where everything is in English and Spanish.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score

Change your name to Jesus Müller حروف Leibermann and let the games begin.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It would certainly seem to be profiling. Might not be legal even if to a marketer it might seem similar to renting some contact lists and merge-filtering them to aim direct mail at a subset, e.g. a zip code or all the names look female or all the people gave to this 501(c) AND that one, etc.

We get pitches for new septic systems as rural boxholders here in headwaters of two major river systems, since the old ones are grandfathered, but new ones must meet EPA standards. Doesn't matter if you HAVE a new septic tank, still get the pitches...

Junk mail is junk mail, I'm more or less offended getting stuff in that category in general. Hate those oversize cardboard things with replicas of auto ignition keys glued onto them, jeez.

Most of us probably get mail from outfits like health insurers who are required to present some info in several languages in the USA. That's different though and clearly not profiling but compliance with law. Does use up a lot of paper if you can't switch your receipt preferences to electronic, and there's no option for "just send me the one written in _________."

Your septic system story reminded me that in theaters here (when they were open) before the movie there would be advertisements for renting a private jet. I assume that's because I live in Silicon Valley and these ads aren't being run at the theaters in Dispair Gulch Kentucky.

P_X

Elite Member
Reaction score

It depends. If its just the junk mail, you should be offended by the waste and not the language. If it includes more formal stuff then there is some more space for you to be offended.

lizkat

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Just doing my part to inject some irrational anger into the reasonable discourse ...

Oh, ok. I thought you had switched tabs and were trying to go along and get along at the other place.:p

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Everything seems to be run by algorithms these days, so yeah, at some point somebody wrote some code that if the name sounds Spanish, then send them Spamish.

Rather than waste much time on it I’d just have all their stuff automatically sent to the Trash.

P_X

Elite Member
Reaction score
Everything seems to be run by algorithms these days, so yeah, at some point somebody wrote some code that if the name sounds Spanish, then send them Spamish.

Rather than waste much time on it I’d just have all their stuff automatically sent to the Trash.
You make a good point here. Outside the realm of spam, algorithms can be racist AF and as pointed out by some black computer scientists, if we aren't careful, they are an incredibly efficient avenue to normalize racism by ""removing"" the human element.

Top Bottom