Should Water Be Granted Personhood?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently heard a presentation regarding this topic on NPR

F9CC908A-9CA3-4AF5-98EA-4207CEB6C5DD.jpeg

Yes, you heard me right. Whatever for, you might ask, water is not a person.. However water is viewed as having legal rights by Native Americans and it would provide an unquestioned legal basis to pursue polluters outside of laws that can created and later dismissed.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I recently heard a presentation regarding this topic on NPR

Yes, you heard me right. Whatever for, you might ask, water us not a person.. However water is viewed as having legal rights by Native Americans and it would provide an unquestioned legal basis to pursue polluters outside of laws that can created and later dismissed.

Just make waterways into corporations. Problem solved; thanks Mitt Romney!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
We all know that various Native American tribes have had a deep and abiding respect for nature, as opposed to those, like Ann Coulter, whose attitude toward Earth is “Take it; rape it.” (Actual quote.)

I don’t know if personhood is the best way to counter such attitudes, but we sure can’t go on thinking about our water, air and soil as infinitely replenishable resources which we can befoul with no consequences.

Interesting concept, though.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We all know that various Native American tribes have had a deep and abiding respect for nature, as opposed to those, like Ann Coulter, whose attitude toward Earth is “Take it; rape it.” (Actual quote.)

I don’t know if personhood is the best way to counter such attitudes, but we sure can’t go on thinking about our water, air and soil as infinitely replenishable resources which we can befoul with no consequences.

Interesting concept, though.
The idea is to raise the legal protection of natural bodies of water to a higher level beyod just preferring to see it protected, but having an undisputed protection that can’t be circumvented. It would have a huge impact on how humanity conducts the business of living. I have to be for it. :)

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The problem that will arise is when we start discriminating against salt water, giving special favors to fresh water. And what about ice? Why are we being so mean to pack ice, snow and growlers? Nevermind steam, which we have been treating like some sort of indentured servant.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem that will arise is when we start discriminating against salt water, giving special favors to fresh water. And what about ice? Why are we being so mean to pack ice, snow and growlers? Nevermind steam, which we have been treating like some sort of indentured servant.
I love your characterization. :)

Top Bottom
1 2