Smart home tech

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Me too. I’ve never been. I had planned on going 4th of July when we’d go see my sister in Dallas, but Rona said no.

The closest one to me is in Jacksonville, where my mother lives. We frequently make a day of going there. My husband still hasn’t been. Ever. That was on our to-do list for retirement. Thanks Covid.

At some point I’ll be looking for a new TV. Gonna have to have ATV built in. I may be limiting myself to LG, especially if my son can get me a discount, since LG is his account.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
The closest one to me is in Jacksonville, where my mother lives. We frequently make a day of going there. My husband still hasn’t been. Ever. That was on our to-do list for retirement. Thanks Covid.

At some point I’ll be looking for a new TV. Gonna have to have ATV built in. I may be limiting myself to LG, especially if my son can get me a discount, since LG is his account.

So many retirement plans down the drain. Mom and I were planning a trip to visit living history sights. That’s definitely out for years. We were also going to take a train trip. I’ve never been in a train and it’s on my bucket list. Biden’s love of trains is one of the things I love most about him. [emoji1787]

I never even bothered to check if this tv has the tv app. I know it has AirPlay though.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So many retirement plans down the drain. Mom and I were planning a trip to visit living history sights. That’s definitely out for years. We were also going to take a train trip. I’ve never been in a train and it’s on my bucket list. Biden’s love of trains is one of the things I love most about him.
emoji1787.png

Us too! I love trains. I suspect that will be something I do long before flying. Especially since you can get a roomette and see the same window view in thee privacy of your own space.

BTW, I expect to see more of you in the actual political threads. ;)

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
Us too! I love trains. I suspect that will be something I do long before flying. Especially since you can get a roomette and see the same window view in thee privacy of your own space.

I watch other people’s train trips on YouTube. I’m so weird.

BTW, I expect to see more of you in the actual political threads. ;)

Ok. I’m just so used to avoiding political feeds. I’ll dip my toes in.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have no idea how this thread got derailed into train travel but I'm onboard. 😜

I hate myself now. I'm better than that. 😐

U

User.45

My TCL TV got the airplay update and it is absolutely fantastic! Now I can use the iOS remote to control the TV. It even allows me to control volume. This is a total WIN! Now all I need is an HBOmax app for Roku and my 4K AppleTV will officially migrate to the basement.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
My TCL TV got the airplay update and it is absolutely fantastic! Now I can use the iOS remote to control the TV. It even allows me to control volume. This is a total WIN! Now all I need is an HBOmax app for Roku and my 4K AppleTV will officially migrate to the basement.
Are you saying the TCL has an Apple TV + app built in and that allows control with the remote? Is an Apple TV device involved?

U

User.45

Are you saying the TCL has an Apple TV + app built in and that allows control with the remote? Is an Apple TV device involved?
Nope. They've integrated airplay into the OS of the TCL Roku TV (this was announced about 2 months ago, but I've been skeptical...this is a $250 55" TV after all.) No app, no third party stuff, and thus far the only limitation is a ~0.5 sec lag in volume changes and a 5 sec lag initiating screen mirroring, but once established, it works decently. Truly amazing.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm in the dark ages here......when a room becomes dim as the light outdoors begins to fade, I get up from my chair and walk to the light switch and turn it on. When I want to be a little cooler or a little warmer I get up and walk to the thermostat and adjust it manually, too. No fancy "Smart TV" here for me, either, as I rarely watch TV and am perfectly happy with the one I have, circa 2013 or thereabouts. It works. That's all I ask of it on the rare times I turn it on. Lighting in the house -- finally did get around to putting LED bulbs in the chandelier when I'd used up the last of the old kind, and I do have LED lights in my lamps. The kitchen still has the original fluorescent light fixture that was in here when I bought the place, and I'm sure one day it'll give up the ghost, at which time I'll replace it. I am in a small condominium apartment and like Lizkat, I am retired and would just as soon keep my muscles moving as much as I can rather than be depending on technology to turn my lights on-and-off for me. So no Alexas or Home Pods or any of that kind of thing live here.....

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope. They've integrated airplay into the OS of the TCL Roku TV (this was announced about 2 months ago, but I've been skeptical...this is a $250 55" TV after all.) No app, no third party stuff, and thus far the only limitation is a ~0.5 sec lag in volume changes and a 5 sec lag initiating screen mirroring, but once established, it wor
Your iOS remote app controls volume? If so, do you use the phone hardware buttons or are buttons showing up on the app? I’ve never seen that.

U

User.45

I'm in the dark ages here......when a room becomes dim as the light outdoors begins to fade, I get up from my chair and walk to the light switch and turn it on. When I want to be a little cooler or a little warmer I get up and walk to the thermostat and adjust it manually, too. No fancy "Smart TV" here for me, either, as I rarely watch TV and am perfectly happy with the one I have, circa 2013 or thereabouts. It works. That's all I ask of it on the rare times I turn it on. Lighting in the house -- finally did get around to putting LED bulbs in the chandelier when I'd used up the last of the old kind, and I do have LED lights in my lamps. The kitchen still has the original fluorescent light fixture that was in here when I bought the place, and I'm sure one day it'll give up the ghost, at which time I'll replace it. I am in a small condominium apartment and like Lizkat, I am retired and would just as soon keep my muscles moving as much as I can rather than be depending on technology to turn my lights on-and-off for me. So no Alexas or Home Pods or any of that kind of thing live here.....
I suspect techies are overrepresented here, we migrated from a tach forum after all. I have smart everything in my home, but after the 4th move, I'm just too lazy to integrate it all. The most milage smart lights get here is that my toddler's nightlights are scheduled to dim gradually and turn off by 10PM. If she has a nightmare, I can just turn the nightlight back on remotely, and it usually saves us from getting up and console her. My lights shift into red hue as the night progresses, and are programmed to turn on at sunset and turn off by 11PM. Alexa is in the most remote corner of the kitchen so it only picks up our sound if we yell at it, and it's mainly used to tell the weather, and preheat the car on cold days. It also gives me reminders when I need to feed the kids, or their nap time...

U

User.45

Your iOS remote app controls volume? If so, do you use the phone hardware buttons or are buttons showing up on the app? I’ve never seen that.
It's weird because the remote app doesn't have the remote setting but when I roll the remote slider on my iPhone and even my Mac when airplaying audio to the Roku TV it slides the volume there too. I suspect same would happen if I used the volume buttons on my iPhone.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have everything manual in my house. Never use Siri even to be honest. Its too prone to mistakes. Easier just to type it. As for lights how am I supposed to hit my stand target on my Apple Watch if I control everything from the sofa?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Confirmed. iPhone's volume buttons control volume on TV. Fantastic!
Whoa, that’s interesting.

I‘m actually a big fan of the ATV itself. I’ve got the 4th gen and it’s a pretty fantastic device in my view. It’s cool that their bringing some Apple functionality to other devices.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In many ways I consider myself a techie but in some realms, not so much so. I think that if I were living in a larger place and and especially one with two levels, that would make a difference. I'm just so used to turning lights on-and-off myself, I can't imagine doing it any other way! LOL! I don't use Siri, either -- in fact, I had to turn the darned thing on in my iPhone in order to set up Apple CarPlay, which rather annoyed me. But, it's worth it!! I still press buttons and such, though, rather than talking to Siri.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I confess, I'm a bit of luddite when it com

All I have is a Fire TV of sorts from Best Buy.

I ordered my first Amazon Echo to control it in case the remote ever breaks with the 4th gen Dot with clock. It came out Nov 5th, so with 2 day shipping I am expected to get it Nov 27th. 🤪

I watch other people’s train trips on YouTube. I’m so weird.

Ok. I’m just so used to avoiding political feeds. I’ll dip my toes in.

I've long wanted to go to Japan. I watch a lot of 'walkaround' videos of Japan in 4K, it's quite the thing on Youtube.

Top Bottom
1 2